2021 RINGNECK OUTLOOK

Try $1000 for a non res IA deer license

$350 fly a full season pass would be about break even for me and a lot of others. It’s just 3 ten day tickets. It would give more flexibility too
I would do that in a heartbeat. Maybe they could offer a 3 day, 1 week, and full season.

Try $1000 for a non res IA deer license
<EDIT> I do see now that NR deer hunters have to have the general hunting license and Habitat as well. That would put it about $150 for the general and $350 for the buck tag, ~$500.

What am I missing? How does the $500 get to $1k? </EDIT> This is from the Iowa DNR site: https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Licenses-Laws

Nonresident Buck Tag ( Pending Lottery Results) $348.50 Y N N
Nonresident Mandatory Antlerless $149.50 Y N N
Nonresident Antlerless by County $266.50

Last edited:
The NR horde will still arrive en masse. They will be entitled to their three roosters per day and will pound what little public ground remains with huntable cover. SD is not charging nearly enough for the NR license. Look what states like IA charge to hunt their marquis species…
One note Nancy.
Labrador doesn't believe in..."this land is your land, this land is my land..."

every year i go pheasant hunting I kick up monster white tails on Kansas CRP ground.
most guys are too lazy to hunt them because it takes a bit of work. like get out of the pick up!!

It's actually $644 plus agent fees for the non res Iowa tag. However, preference is needed to draw in a good unit.

I believe that the trend here is one of concern for the future of the resource in this state. With that said, I believe residents should have much more use of their state's resources. Just like I believe other states should limit South Dakotans in favor of their residents.

If South Dakota wants to go that route of raising license prices, I'll just go to Nebraska or Kansas and have just as good of a hunt there as I can in SoDak haha or stay and hunt my home state for 28 bucks. As would alot of other folks. I guess SD could still make the same amount of money as long as 1 out of every 4 NRs still show up and pay that price. But it wouldn't be me!

Interesting the different takes on license fees & how often the topic comes up. To me, it's a matter of about 100 different variables. Supply, demand, State revenue needs, available resources (primarily land & pheasants), etc. I typically hunt the equivalent of about three 10-day non-resident licenses, which would cost $363. But living where I do, I typically drive 45-75 minutes to hunt, so it's easy & relatively inexpensive. And even if I had to pay $363 for a license, it would still be a minimal part of my overall hunting expense.🤷‍♂️

As for the 2021 outlook, I think it's going to be a good season. We need some moisture though, so the birds don't go into winter stressed.

The cost of a nonresident license is a minuscule part of the cost of hunting. I would have no problem paying more in any of the states that I hunt in, in fact I believe it could be twice the present cost and it would still not put me off. Add up the cost of guns, boots, vests, shells, and especially dogs and they could give away a license and each bird will still cost a small fortune. It's good healthy entertainment and I enjoy it, so I am willing to take my hard earned dollars to get covered in mud and pick burrs out of my dog's coat. Give the residents a break with more hunting time and cheaper licenses I'm fine with that too.

Interesting the different takes on license fees & how often the topic comes up. To me, it's a matter of about 100 different variables. Supply, demand, State revenue needs, available resources (primarily land & pheasants), etc. I typically hunt the equivalent of about three 10-day non-resident licenses, which would cost $363. But living where I do, I typically drive 45-75 minutes to hunt, so it's easy & relatively inexpensive. And even if I had to pay $363 for a license, it would still be a minimal part of my overall hunting expense.🤷‍♂️

As for the 2021 outlook, I think it's going to be a good season. We need some moisture though, so the birds don't go into winter stressed.
Completely agree.

I've got no real issues with SDGFP or the cost of NR license. License cost is a lot like the cost of shells -- its bug dust compared to feeding 4 dogs all year, vet bills, 1100 miles each way - at least 3 times a year, 20-25 nights in a motel, wear and tear on a truck, 100 or so quail, 2 to 3 trips to the local preserve in October...

That doesn't even touch the sunk cost in e-collars, guns, boots and clothes.

Some have and more may, question my sanity but hunting wild pheasants and the friends in SD are that important to me.

So far the kids haven't complained about me spending "their" money.

PS Still have a week left my license from last hunt in January.

November can't get here soon enough.

The day will come when each of us is no longer physically able to chase wild pheasants.

When that day comes for me I want to be able to say I chased them as much as I possibly could.
Good news is that it can be dialed down, seen it many times with older hunters...become blockers, buzz around on atv’s/trucks, etc...take shorter walks...

I live in MN and hunted MN, IA, SD last year. I loved every minute of it. The last few days all I can think of is pheasant hunting. I am not a wealthy man, but I would pay any cost to spend time in the pheasant fields with my 4-legged hunting buddy. I, like most everyone on this site, is one of the good ones, I don't litter, break laws, or give hunters a bad name. The 2021 ringneck outlook has 0% chance of affecting my participation, I am going pheasant hunting this fall come hell or high water. Tonight at the trap club a guy tells me, "why go to South Dakota when you can pay less at a game farm?" In my mind you just can't beat the feeling of getting a wily old rooster on public land. Plus, I don't want to let the bird dog down, she loves getting out and chasing birds up more than anything.

Attachments

• 20191101_170047_001_saved (3).jpg
    20191101_170047_001_saved (3).jpg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 16
Good news is that it can be dialed down, seen it many times with older hunters...become blockers, buzz around on atv’s/trucks, etc...take shorter walks...
...and the bad news is that for each and every one of us the day will come when we can't even do that.

So forget the pheasant phorecasts, forget the weather, forget the cost of a license and get out there. There really is a STOP sign at the end of the road you're one.

Cheerful thought for the morning. :)

...and the bad news is that for each and every one of us the day will come when we can't even do that.

So forget the pheasant phorecasts, forget the weather, forget the cost of a license and get out there. There really is a STOP sign at the end of the road you're one.

Cheerful thought for the morning. :)
You’re not revelatory...doubt you thought you were...yup, that reality guides most days for me...already left the office, walking along Lake Superior with my dogs...first of two walks for the day...🍻☀️🥳

Back