1 - 2 - 21 report NW Iowa

Kevin W

I had to work today until 10am, got out to the hunting area around noon. Last weeks snow has most of the ditches blown shut but the one's where good heavy cover remains tend to hold birds. The first spot has produced before and again today it held birds. It's a nice cattail infested corner ditch, Kepa and I caught them in a pretty good spot for us and I went 2 shots 2 roosters down. Hunting alone and not wanting to be done so quickly I let a third one go without a shot. After a couple of retrieves Kepa hunted through the cattails one more time, no birds left to roust up.
We made our way a few miles and came upon a farm where we had asked permission opening weekend. We were denied permission then because the lady had her boys going out later that day and a group coming from Michigan to hunt later on in the week to hunt. Anyway she remembered me as I asked today and she said sure go ahead. I told her I only needed one and she wished me good luck!
The draw they have is a really nice looking thick and wide with corn on one side. Kepa and I got into tracks and scent early on and less than 100 yards in the first wild flushes were happening another 100 yards ahead. Kepa stayed cool and in range while we worked our way forward. Another 50 yards and 3 hens and 1 rooster flushed in range. I was on today and 1 shot was all I needed for this, the last one today.
I stopped back to say Thanks to the lady land owner and she relayed that their group of friends that came from Michigan did really well that week and limited out each day. More birds seen this year and in the past 10 years or so.
Kepa and I will be back at it tomorrow, if all goes well we may make the drive way up north and chase some cattail roosters.
Happy New Years Everyone!!!!!!!
Kepa 1  2  2021.jpg

Thats a great day! Reading this got my adrenaline pumping. I am headed to NW Iowa tomorrow from Delaware. Hunting the final week of the season. Good luck tomorrow Kevin W!

Nice , congratulations on a great late season hunt , let us know how the rest of the season goes .
I like the creative way you displayed the birds!!

Hit the heavest cover you can find. Yesterday hunted small waterways and pockets with cattails, it was hard to bird any birds. Today I got a group together and we hunted our CPR, which it pretty thick. We got 14 roosters, a great morning here also. Going to give them a break tomorrow, will finish-up next weekend.

Added the pic here and in a different thread.1-02-21 rooster hunt.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from today's outing. It was a shoulda, coulda, woulda day. I hunted 4 spots and got into birds at each, saw plenty of pheasants but no roosters in range.

Hey guys, I hope I don't ruffle any feathers posting this update here. I have a couple good news updates on my lab Kepa health cert wise. I know some may expect or think I should post this in the dog section but you all have heard about Kepa through last seasons updates here and I figure you guys may be the only one's who would even want to read this. As you all may know Kepa's first season was a tough one for me finding her birds. Then last summer I took her to a trainer who really unlocked the bird dog within Kepa. Last season was one in which Kepa really shined and I was able to (with help from many on here) find Kepa plenty of birds and she had a season better than I could have ever imagined.
Kepa is 2 now and in April we submitted a sample from Kepa to Embark genetic testing and in early June had her hips and elbows x ray'd and turned into the OFA for submission. Kepa's genetic testing came back all clears which is great I am told and from the OFA they found NO evidence of hip or elbow dysplasia with marks of Excellent on her hips and Normal on her elbows. Up next is an eye test for Kepa at the end of July in Omaha with an Ophthalmologist.
In the meantime Kepa and I continue daily retrieving practice as we wait patiently for fall. I hope 2021 is treating you all well. Kevin.

Back