Conditions

HuntnTeach

Hey everybody,

I was curious how the conditions/habitat is this spring so far for breeding? Should we be optimistic?

Tending towards dry and drought in many areas but certain locations have been getting some rain which will help things for sure locally. I would say still too early to say for sure as far as hatch goes though.

Western and central portions of the state getting some badly needed moisture the past couple of days. I was in the south central part of the state last week and saw more birds in the ditches than I've seen in a few years. Hopefully this new moisture will help with cover and insects. We've appeared to be heading into a drought but maybe this week's rains will start to turn things around. Keeping fingers crossed.

Looks like most parts of SD got some rain this afternoon on and tonight so that is good. Will talk to a few in the AM to see how much fell. Hoping for a decent amount.

what few birds left this fall will be close to water, that's for sure. going to be a rough season, recruitment will be slim.

The other day I saw two hens with a rooster. I am not sure what that means but I wonder if it means they are starting over.

If a hen successfully hatches a brood and the brood perishes from heat, or other elements she will NOT re-nest. Hens re-nest when the eggs get destroyed by skunk, raccoon or other predators.
Have you seen any broods Haymaker?

If a hen successfully hatches a brood and the brood perishes from heat, or other elements she will NOT re-nest. Hens re-nest when the eggs get destroyed by skunk, raccoon or other predators.
Have you seen any broods Haymaker?
No I have not seen a chick yet. I am in the hardest hit area in the state.

No I have not seen a chick yet. I am in the hardest hit area in the state.

Talked to a buddy NW if you this morning. He said the same as far as chicks go. Did mention seeing more mature birds than normal for this time of the year.

looks like some rain in the central part of the state today and chance the next couple. Hopefully that improves the situation in at least some areas.

Talked to my friend who farms and hunts near Winner—“Hamil”
‘Has seen good numbers of birds—BUT—dry needs rain soon-for birds and crops

Back