SE Colorado quail hunting

I have done it once about 8 -9 years ago. extreme SE corner kind of where Kansas, Colorado and Oklahoma all meet. Walked around on public land and didn't see anything. Finally saw some scaled quail at a deserted farmstead - perfect spot for them, but the landowner who lived about a 1/2 mile away wouldn't give us permission to hunt; said it was a very dry year and he didn't want to have the few birds left shot down. To be honest it was a very dry year and everyone said the numbers were way down. I was camping in a buddy's pop-top camper so didn't need to look for a motel . TBS, I guess the nearest town would have been Campo don't know if there was a motel there or not.

OK. thanks for the information. That's pretty much how I would hunt. Guess this coming season will be sparse, unless some good summer rains materialize.
I have done it once about 8 -9 years ago. extreme SE corner kind of where Kansas, Colorado and Oklahoma all meet. Walked around on public land and didn't see anything. Finally saw some scaled quail at a deserted farmstead - perfect spot for them, but the landowner who lived about a 1/2 mile away wouldn't give us permission to hunt; said it was a very dry year and he didn't want to have the few birds left shot down. To be honest it was a very dry year and everyone said the numbers were way down. I was camping in a buddy's pop-top camper so didn't need to look for a motel . TBS, I guess the nearest town would have been Campo don't know if there was a motel there or not.
c

Back