Hunting in the wind

Swagdaddy

After watching the Masters golf tournament today and hearing the announcers talk about the importance of knowing the course conditions, I thought to start a thread on hunting pheasant in various weather conditions.

First up- hunting in 25 MPH plus wind conditions.

Okay guys, let's hear some of your strategies and tips.

I typically look for places out of the wind when it's really blowing. Cattails, tree rows. But if I have to work a field, I usually start out working into the windy side and swing my way around and work the wind at my back when I'm headed to the truck. I figure the wind keeps my noise down when I'm getting out of the truck, loaded up, dogs ready, etc.

Then I'm extra quiet working with the wind at my back. Knowing the sound will travel 10 times better with the wind opposed to against it.

I always hunt into the wind. I don't know that I would call 25 mph a wind condition, just an average day in western Kansas. Its those rare days that there is no wind that makes hunting difficult.

Last edited:
Well, if you don’t/won’t hunt in the wind in Nebraska, you don’t get to hunt much! To me, 25 mph isn’t bad at all. I hunted one weekend last fall with 40 mph +. That was tough, especially when the birds got up in the wind, you better have a good lead. Where I hunt it’s pretty flat but there are a few hills and pheasants are just like us, they don’t want to be out in that kind of wind either. If there is cover, I will hunt the downwind side of hills, close to tree rows, etc. It’s not easy, they are much more spooky and it’s harder for the dogs.

There could be quite a few variables on that one, but I will say that while I typically hunt into the wind, there are times it isn't possible and it sometimes works better as my dog is much closer when she pinpoints a bird, versus catching sent from a ways up wind when dealing with a high wind.

The other guys mentioned it, but all animals are notoriously skittish when it comes to wind. Pheasants are no exception. Staying quiet is important regardless of the wind, but it's imperative on windy days as they like to jump into that wind and sail across the county.

I stay home and go another day that has more favorable conditions.
Yeah, me too. 🥴 Not.
If I waited for favorable conditions, I'd rarely get to hunt, & my dog would be really torked off. So we hunt as long as the season's open.
Find places the birds may be seeking shelter. Hunt into the wind as much as possible. Be quiet. Etc. Just like fair-weather hunting.
Just be prepared to pull an extra couple feet out in front. And when you should've led even a couple MORE feet, it's the wind's fault.

If I waited for favorable conditions, I'd rarely get to hunt
I get it, some people don't have a choice on which days that can pick and choose to hunt. I have a choice, so I prefer to wait a day or two an hunt when there isn't a hurricane blowing.

Last edited:
I kill more pheasants on windy days than I ever do calm days. Can't figure you guys out. The wind allows you to get close as it covers the noise of your approach. Now on extremely windy days, it isn't much fun but a 25 mph is just that, windy, but it is a great opportunity to get more shots than you would on a calm day. If its howling 40 mph, I would stay home, however, 25 mph should be expected in Kansas.

They will also switch roadside locations if there is big wind. For instances, in a wind blowing north to south, they won't be in north/south road ditches since the wind whistles right down those. They will move to east/west roads and specifically in the ditch to the north side of the road where they get maximum wind break from the fence line and no spill over into the south side ditch.

If we do end up in a cross-wind situation or posting a blocker, there is always some jockeying to get in the downwind position as birds most often will take off and catch the wind. So if you are downwind, you get an extra fraction of a second to get your gun up in close range. If we do stop on a suspect flush location, I like to step out with my upwind foot so I am cheating my body to be quicker swinging all the way down wind, expecting most birds to go that way. Occasionally they may want to go upwind when taking off either to get to cover or away from you but then they just hang in the air and commit lead seppuku.

I actually like hunting windy conditions especially partnered with cold air- I feel i can get into more birds and get more shot opportunities. The birds don’t want to be standing in it, therefore I can better predict where they are more concentrated. They will prefer a wind break or a very thick overgrown field or ditch scenario. It really helps keep my “approach” noise to a minimum- therefore actually get close to them before flying. Sometimes I wonder if they may just hold a little longer cause they don’t want to fly in high wind?? Two important adjustments are that you need to flush the bird into the wind and get on the him quick before he turns and gets a tailwind. This maybe easier for a guy hunting pointing breeds. Also- high wind helps push some air through the super dense cover and my pointers can effectively trail/pinpoint the birds. I prefer to hunt the thickest stuff on cold windy days only. When it gets to gale wind proportions my dogs get to sleep in!

Back