daily bag limit for 2021?

It was proposed, along with a few other changes, such as season length and ten a.m. start all season long, but did not make the final cut.

Biologists predict 5% rooster survival is all that is needed for full reproduction numbers. Even hunting pressure in SD takes only about 45-55% of roosters. If almost every SD hunter doubled their current success rate there would likely be little effect on numbers the next year. I think bag limits are a poor management tactic in many conservation scenarios. More about GFP/DNR flexing and making a reason for them to exist.

Would you even take the extra bird at this point if they allowed it? I barely get through the 15 I take home every year and that's breasting them out for most of them.

Biologists predict 5% rooster survival is all that is needed for full reproduction numbers. Even hunting pressure in SD takes only about 45-55% of roosters. If almost every SD hunter doubled their current success rate there would likely be little effect on numbers the next year. I think bag limits are a poor management tactic in many conservation scenarios. More about GFP/DNR flexing and making a reason for them to exist.

Would you even take the extra bird at this point if they allowed it? I barely get through the 15 I take home every year and that's breasting them out for most of them.

I would shoot a fourth bird off of private land, but I personally feel that public land should be kept at three as hunter opportunity is more important than compensatory mortality.

Oh so they were proposing to stop the Noon start the first week? I was thinking of the rest of the season but I'm tracking now.

Opening day of the 2021 pheasant hunting season in South Dakota is Saturday, October 16. The season then lasts through Sunday, January 31, 2022. Shooting hours are 10 a.m. (Central Time) to sunset for the entire season. (Central Time is used for opening shooting hours statewide.)

I would shoot a fourth bird off of private land, but I personally feel that public land should be kept at three as hunter opportunity is more important than compensatory mortality.
of course it would be impossible to enforce fractured limits from separate parcels of ground, so 3 as usual.
carry on.

Back