Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

I hunt on 8 farms in South Dakota. How did I get so many farms to hunt on? I worked very hard to get them. I stopped in July and knocked on
doors as well as asked in LATE season by stopping in with one vehicle and no more than one other hunter. I believe its imperative that the farmer knows you hunt alone or with only one other hunter. I only hunt with one other person and we rarely hunt the same farm more than one or two days, max. Also ask for a small parcel to hunt, not the entire farm. Stopping at a farm is not an intimidating thing. Sure you are going to
run in to a few grumpy old men, but for the most part you are dealing with salt of the earth, honest, hard working people. Don't be afraid to ask
the wife permission to hunt. After all, she is the boss. The whole point I am making is pheasant hunting is worth the time and effort to find a farm or two to hunt on. BTW-I do not "pay" to hunt on any of these farms. I do send them nice gifts at Christmas and their birthdays, but that's
all.

This!! The approach above is almost identical to how I go about it. I'm a firm believer in starting a relationship before asking permission to hunt. Granted, that's easier for locals than non-locals, but the principle still applies. It's a lot easier to say "no" when someone you've never met asks to utilize your most cherished possession versus someone who has earned their trust and respect. As kuk kuk said, keep it small. In addition to asking to hunt "the slough on the southwest corner", let them know EXACTLY when you intend to be there (date and time) and be upfront that you're looking for a one time only hunt and understand that if given permission, it only applies for that slough on that date only. And show gratitude. It doesn't always have to be a gift, sometimes a simple "thank you" card goes a long way. I can't guarantee anything, but it you approach in a concise, piecemeal approach, the day will come when the farmer says "no problem. any time after deer season is over." Even then, still give him the courtesy of asking. It's all about solid, trusting, long lasting relationships. Best of luck.

Interesting side note - my wife and I were leaving a hunting spot and came across a guy walking a dog. I stopped to say hello, introduced myself and my wife, told him what we were doing and where we were hunting. He offered to let me hunt his CRP sometime. I never have, but I still stopped by to give him a small gift and thank him for his gesture. Someday, I'm sure I will take him up on his offer, but until then (and after), I'll maintain that relationship.

Do any of your neighbors or you allow shooting of the does?

I haven't ventured to the SE part of KS to attempt to hunt in a # of years -- we had a contact that would graciously allow my dads family to hunt quail and deer if they liked (even to this day if he called they would) - but everyone near him went the way of leasing it seemed.

Anyways not pitting landowner vs hunter argument - I'm just curious - My conclusions are in the areas with the most does - it's typically the areas that have more leasing/outfitters and folks that wont allow

hunting at all - the outfitting seems to create the overpopulation problem as they nor their hunters want to shoot the does - so it's a vicious cycle it seems.

My .02 and limited observations anyways.
Yes I allow as many hunters as are safe to hunt does as do most neighbors.
So 2 hours of driving and 50 deer equals a doe problem? I am going to go out on a limb and say that locals bring more revenue to bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc. than NR's. Hotels, now that would be NR's. I hear a lot of resident landowners complaining about leasing and outfitters, especially after they have been burned. If you have all this crop damage you complain about, just enroll your land in the WIHA program.
I will never enroll it in WIHA because then guys who feel entitled like you can hunt it.

Do any of your neighbors or you allow shooting of the does?

I haven't ventured to the SE part of KS to attempt to hunt in a # of years -- we had a contact that would graciously allow my dads family to hunt quail and deer if they liked (even to this day if he called they would) - but everyone near him went the way of leasing it seemed.

Anyways not pitting landowner vs hunter argument - I'm just curious - My conclusions are in the areas with the most does - it's typically the areas that have more leasing/outfitters and folks that wont allow hunting at all - the outfitting seems to create the overpopulation problem as they nor their hunters want to shoot the does - so it's a vicious cycle it seems.

My .02 and limited observations anyways.
Yes I allow as many people hunt does as is safe. Most neighbors do too.

I will never enroll it in WIHA because then guys who feel entitled like you can hunt it.
Do I still get to look at your lands when I go through? You have always been generous on letting people hunt buddy. Thanks for always letting me stubble around.

Do I still get to look at your lands when I go through? You have always been generous on letting people hunt buddy. Thanks for always letting me stubble around.
I don't have a problem with you hunting. Actually I let lots of people hunt. I don't however feel I owe that right to anybody. I can lease it to out of staters, let locals hunt for free or tell everyone to stay the hell out. When you own it that's how it works at least for now.

I don't have a problem with you hunting. Actually I let lots of people hunt. I don't however feel I owe that right to anybody. I can lease it to out of staters, let locals hunt for free or tell everyone to stay the hell out. When you own it that's how it works at least for now.
Maybe I can get back next fall and at least drive around and remember running around up there with dad.
What would be awesome is to meet up out west with you and Glenn for a couple days. Now I am just dreaming.

Maybe I can get back next fall and at least drive around and remember running around up there with dad.
What would be awesome is tomeet up out west with you and Glenn for a couple days. Now I am just dreaming.
Every year Glenn and I talk about going. We never seem to getrdone. I have hunted on him once.

So 2 hours of driving and 50 deer equals a doe problem? I am going to go out on a limb and say that locals bring more revenue to bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc. than NR's. Hotels, now that would be NR's. I hear a lot of resident landowners complaining about leasing and outfitters, especially after they have been burned. If you have all this crop damage you complain about, just enroll your land in the WIHA program.
Bullseye, westksbowhunter. Bullshit, fsentkilr. Sorry, no disrespect - but that ain't peanut butter you are shoveling.

Re: "As far as leasing and out of state hunters it isn't going to change no matter how much people complain." Reduce the insane number of out of state deer tags sold by half, and you'll see leases decline by that amount or more within as season or two. That is economics 101.

And "but golly, out of staters buy gas, food, drink and miscellaneous services" is just code for "Kansas wildlife is a commodity, and it is for sale".

And no, not all in-state hunters pack their own lunch. Or drive from Wichita to Oakley and back in a single day.

Bullseye, westksbowhunter. Bullshit, fsentkilr. Sorry, no disrespect - but that ain't peanut butter you are shoveling.

Re: "As far as leasing and out of state hunters it isn't going to change no matter how much people complain." Reduce the insane number of out of state deer tags sold by half, and you'll see leases decline by that amount or more within as season or two. That is economics 101.

And "but golly, out of staters buy gas, food, drink and miscellaneous services" is just code for "Kansas wildlife is a commodity, and it is for sale".

And no, not all in-state hunters pack their own lunch. Or drive from Wichita to Oakley and back in a single day.
Like it or not that's how politics work. Hunters arent the majority. There are more voters interested in the business and money out of state hunters bring than hunters that vote. It will be reflected in the laws. As far as what westkansaswannabebowhunter said, the locals will spend money in their communities regardless of hunting regs. The money brought in from non residents in new money that wouldn't be spent there without hunting. Don't you guys notice all the "welcome hunters" signs during hunting season? I know the amount of money brought into Anderson County during deer season and its a lot. It's the best time of the year for a lot of small businesses. The same can be said for pheasant season in western Kansas.

Like it or not that's how politics work. Hunters arent the majority. There are more voters interested in the business and money out of state hunters bring than hunters that vote. It will be reflected in the laws. As far as what westkansaswannabebowhunter said, the locals will spend money in their communities regardless of hunting regs. The money brought in from non residents in new money that wouldn't be spent there without hunting. Don't you guys notice all the "welcome hunters" signs during hunting season? I know the amount of money brought into Anderson County during deer season and its a lot. It's the best time of the year for a lot of small businesses. The same can be said for pheasant season in western Kansas.
I don't think your guesses, or mine, as to the numbers of KS hunters vs number of profiteers can be proven or disproven - although we can both agree that the number of passive vs active voters would appear to favor the status quo. But I submit that this is in part because out of state deer sales has never been on the radar screen outside of our narrow community. Silence is complicity. Was this an issue at any time, or in any place, during the last KS Gubernatorial election? Nope. Why? Because no one really made it one, then or now.

No, your voices have not been heard. Yes, they can be - but you have to stand up and speak up. Just not at the Commission meetings. That's a diversion. If 26 years of pointless kvetching on the bow site didn't convince you of that, nothing will. The Commissioners respond to the only person who put them there, and can remove them. She's likely never heard that this issue even exists. Or, at the very least, can easily maintain plausible deniability.

Not trying to quibble, or wrap the issue in a purple robe, but it was certainly much too difficult ("impossible") to challenge autocratic authority in 1776. Not to mention, it was likely to get you killed. Good thing they didn't have the internet to vent on in lieu of meaningful action back then, or we'd probably be the last of the British colonies today - and they'd probably give us away to China, along with Hong Kong.

The current climate and timing favors you on this issue. Bad people who hate trees are selling Bambi to heartless assassins nationwide. See how easy that was? With a little effort you'd have the Sierra Club and PETA peacefully protesting in Topeka on this issue. But easier to surrender and maybe complain on line. Safer too - I guess.

Cue drums and fifes.

I think I've had my "at bat" turns and then some, and thanks to all for your patience but nevertheless - does this help IRT the "too many deer, especially does" problem?

What if KDWPT was to issue unlimited, no cost doe tags for all Kansas resident hunters? Or failing that - all first time KS resident hunters and veterans (if that's all we can get). Fewer does, less deer damage, Kansans get SOMETHING out of their native resources, and perhaps we both encourage a new generation of hunters and reward those who REALLY made it all possible? Every one wins, and at close to no cost.

I will never enroll it in WIHA because then guys who feel entitled like you can

Some people will always have "little man" syndrome. That's why they sling insults.

What do you think of the notion of issuing unlimited no-cost doe tag to KS kids and vets (if not all residents)? Would that help?
I think all residents should get a doe tag with the purchase of a gun or archery tag, just the same as non residents. But if we seriously have a doe problem, which we don't, then Kansas should go to an earn a buck tag. Simply require all hunters to shoot a doe first. That would require a mandatory check in system which I have been in favor of for the last 15 years. No way can Kansas accurately measure the actual deer harvest with the system and method they use. They have no idea how many deer are harvested each season. And if there were truly a system in place to assess the deer herd numbers, I think that the KDWP would find that deer numbers are far less than they were through the late 80's and early 90's. But I suspect they already know that. But reporting that might jeopardize non residents tag allotment, and we can't have that. Much the same as the pheasant forecast, which always mentions "pockets of birds". I had a lengthy conversation with Lloyd Fox about 10 years ago on how they predict deer herd numbers, and it was about ridiculous. And the spot light surveys are a joke. I have a friend who works for the KDWP and goes out on the survey. They go out 3 nights for the survey, and throw out the nights they don't see very many deer. Why even bother? I am sure that most of the biologists are honest, but this particular one is shady at best.

I think all residents should get a doe tag with the purchase of a gun or archery tag, just the same as non residents. But if we seriously have a doe problem, which we don't, then Kansas should go to an earn a buck tag. Simply require all hunters to shoot a doe first. That would require a mandatory check in system which I have been in favor of for the last 15 years. No way can Kansas accurately measure the actual deer harvest with the system and method they use. They have no idea how many deer are harvested each season. And if there were truly a system in place to assess the deer herd numbers, I think that the KDWP would find that deer numbers are far less than they were through the late 80's and early 90's. But I suspect they already know that. But reporting that might jeopardize non residents tag allotment, and we can't have that. Much the same as the pheasant forecast, which always mentions "pockets of birds". I had a lengthy conversation with Lloyd Fox about 10 years ago on how they predict deer herd numbers, and it was about ridiculous. And the spot light surveys are a joke. I have a friend who works for the KDWP and goes out on the survey. They go out 3 nights for the survey, and throw out the nights they don't see very many deer. Why even bother? I am sure that most of the biologists are honest, but this particular one is shady at best.
Excellent ideas here; hope we can make it so.

The deer population is very high (more deer than ever before) in my part of southeast Kansas. I think 5 doe tags is a good number though. Most guys don’t end up filling them all anyhow.

Excellent ideas here; hope we can make it so.
There is no reason not to have a mandatory check in system, other than they don't want to spend the money to set up such a system. Missouri has had in place for at least 35 years and so do many other states. It would give us good data and good way to measure what is being shot in what season and what weapon. Right now they have no way to track whether deer are shot with a bow, crossbow, muzzle loader, or high power. And no way to determine which season they are being harvested in. It all guess work. As far as numbers go, deer sightings per hunt are down per hunter, even with feeders. Mule deer numbers are dwindling quickly. Pretty sad.

There is no reason not to have a mandatory check in system, other than they don't want to spend the money to set up such a system. Missouri has had in place for at least 35 years and so do many other states. It would give us good data and good way to measure what is being shot in what season and what weapon. Right now they have no way to track whether deer are shot with a bow, crossbow, muzzle loader, or high power. And no way to determine which season they are being harvested in. It all guess work. As far as numbers go, deer sightings per hunt are down per hunter, even with feeders. Mule deer numbers are dwindling quickly. Pretty sad.
Just a thought. Cost and inconvenience of a check-in system could be minimized by providing an electronic vice physical check in system. Send in a phone pic with some basic info. Would provide reams of data and help provide a scientific basis for season dates/limits etc.

Just a thought. Cost and inconvenience of a check-in system could be minimized by providing an electronic vice physical check in system. Send in a phone pic with some basic info. Would provide reams of data and help provide a scientific basis for season dates/limits etc.
Missouri has a phone app to telecheck your deer. It takes less than two minutes to check in a deer and then your done and the state has what sex, if buck points, circumference of base, county taken in, public or private land and etc. They give you a confirmation number you write on your tag and done.

Shouldn't even require legislation, I'd think, given KDWPTs broad discretionary authority and relative independence. Guess the only question would be - why NOT implement?

Back