South Dakota first time, last minute, glad I did it

Bob Peters

I caught a wild hare and hit the road to South Dakota last weekend just me and the dog. I never been pheasant hunting there, so I printed off the SD pheasant distribution map, closed my eyes and threw a dart at it, and that's where I drove to the next morning. I grabbed a license and map book at the gas station and hit the gravel roads. Certain spots were ghost towns, and it took a little bit, but I found birds. I went a different direction everyday from the motel and hit new spots*. Day 3 Going south on the way to a spot I had 3 roosters fly over my truck into a walk in area. I took a right heading west along the section line and saw other birds flying low across the north of the property. I parked and saw a flock of birds standing at the fence line on the NW side of the property. I sat there and watched pheasants fly and run back and forth from the corn field to the low ground for 20 minutes, and unlike other spots there were so many roosters. I'd never seen anything like this spot, it was just loaded and it was public!! The time was 4pm and I was a bit overwhelmed because there were pheasants everywhere. I waited them out and by 4:20 the birds had settled in to their roosts for the night. We quietly hopped out and you should have seen the dogs face when we hit the marsh! She didn't know what way to go with scent coming from all over. The bird tracks in there looked like a pheasant interstate. *Never hunt the same place 2 days in a row they say. Well I broke the rule when I found this spot and I'm glad I did because it was loaded up again the next day. Overall I'm really glad I went, the birds were the most jumpy birds I've ever seen in my life, but they taught me and puppy a lot. You needed a perfect strategy and execution to get shot opportunities. Bottom line: it's late season wary birds and tough hunting, but burn some gas and boot leather and you'll get your chances....And the beer is cold and the people are friendly.

Attachments

• 20210124_172142.jpg
    20210124_172142.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 125
  • 20210128_002317.jpg
    20210128_002317.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Dogs at the Bar.jpg
    Dogs at the Bar.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
I am glad to see you got into birds after reading your post on the "season stats", you and the dogs deserved it! Although, some of our friends to the east might have been jealous of those stats! Nice pics.

How in the world did you talk the pub owner into that picture? Lol. Glad you had a memorable trip. Now you have 5 days next year!
No kidding, great pic! Looks like some long tail feathers on two of those roosters.

How in the world did you talk the pub owner into that picture? Lol. Glad you had a memorable trip. Now you have 5 days next year!
I wanted to try it so bad. I wanted to take my dog roo into roosters in red field. Chickened out and just drank their beer

How in the world did you talk the pub owner into that picture? Lol.
Oh it's easy, the dog did all the work:). Just get a field bred golden retriever, they win people over like you wouldn't believe. She runs all day in the field and settles right down at night in her bar stool.

Back