Best hunting pup for pheasants

Lointer man

Long time lurker, first time poster... I have owned and hunted behind some good dogs, what’s your favorite breed when it comes to hunting roosters?

This my britt at 10 months old with a rooster she pointed and I didn’t do to good of job of hitting , 10 months old she tracked him down pointed and retrieved him .

Attachments

• 34EA8802-B1BC-4CB0-BDB4-9D639D78D868.png
    34EA8802-B1BC-4CB0-BDB4-9D639D78D868.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 7
Welcome.
there's a Search function up near the right side top of the page. When I entered "best dog breed," this is the list that appeared.
Best Wishes.

Yes, however I was askin for yours? I have been a believer for years in labs, as I spent most of my time duck hunting.. However, I recently acquired a English pointer which takes me back to when I was a young boy hunting with my dads English pointer! I have recently seem to forgot how to set decoys with a good north wind and leaned towards letting my pup out on the south side of a good CRP field! cheers

Welcome.
there's a Search function up near the right side top of the page. When I entered "best dog breed," this is the list that appeared.
Best Wishes.

Yes, however I was askin for yours? I have been a believer for years in labs, as I spent most of my time duck hunting.. However, I recently acquired a English pointer which takes me back to when I was a young boy hunting with my dads English pointer! I have recently seem to forgot how to set decoys with a good north wind and leaned towards letting my pup out on the south side of a good CRP field! cheers
This my britt at 10 months old with a rooster she pointed and I didn’t do to good of job of hitting , 10 months old she tracked him down pointed and retrieved him .
60BF0E80-0AE1-42B1-A2F5-CF41443E1237.jpeg

Whatever fits with your personality and style.

I like English Setters, but some dont, I can be uptight (depends on the situation and scenario, dont mess w my business or family, you do you'll certainly think that) but other things I think I'm laid back especially hunting - it's my relaxation...I tend to think of Setters as pretty mellow and laid back. I do have one that's partial knot head at times and the new one I have is pretty darn cool and like an exciteable little kid. He pointed a hen this weekend and it was pretty awesome - he smelled prairie chickens for the first time but couldn't nail one down - had some pretty points. The knothead dog ran off hunting for himself or simply not paying attention to where I am from me a mile away and got lost - glad I have GPS - his internal compass is broken and I dont know how to fix it - but that's his fault for not keeping track of where I am nor knowing how to find me once he wonders off too far. - I think this event scared him - my buddies picked him up for me about an hour later and he hunted closer to me the next field (not more than 300 yards) and had 2 or 3 good finds on quail -- the only good shot I had unfortunately I winged the bird and it got away after we looked for about 30 mins -- we found it, but it ran away and lost 7 dogs looking for it.

My buddy can be opposite of me - he gets pretty uptight about hunting and can get in a hurry and in your face - but we get along lol -- he has a lab we both refer to as an a-hole - he's not one - but anyways the lab is kind of uptight and fits him pretty well...ha. Maybe I'm just assigning personality quirks of the owners to the dogs - but they seem to partially fit in a lot of scenarios.

GSP's have their own quirks - Pointers tend to be emotionless and machines and run into the next state, brittanies I love since I had one as a kid but have stuck w Setters etc. My dog stereotypes anyways.

If you can answer what hunting style you like - then you can narrow down the dog you'll want.

This a a totally loaded question for which there is no right or wrong answer. If you get responses from 20 members with 20 different dog breeds you will get 20 different answers. There are good pheasant dogs in almost any breed and also some not so good. Probably as much variance within each breed and as there is between breeds.

This a a totally loaded question for which there is no right or wrong answer. If you get responses from 20 members with 20 different dog breeds you will get 20 different answers. There are good pheasant dogs in almost any breed and also some not so good. Probably as much variance within each breed and as there is between breeds.
Then why take the time to post

Then why take the time to post
Because, like I said, your question has no answer. What's the best dog question gets beat to death on this and other gun dog forums. Do some research on this site, lots of info on dogs. It ultimately comes down to what breed you like and works best for your situation.

Because, like I said, your question has no answer. What's the best dog question gets beat to death on this and other gun dog forums. Do some research on this site, lots of info on dogs. It ultimately comes down to what breed you like and works best for your situation.
Which is why I suggested the OP read the previous posts from many wise and experienced dog owners.
No one here wants to be contentious.

Best wishes.

It’s a forum to get people talking about hunting/ dogs/ guns ect ect, don’t post if u feel the need
All the best,
Lointer

Back