Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

Not on bowsite. Oldgobbler and crappie.com. i do dabble in bowhunting since the folks I let hunt refused to shoot a doe for me so I started doing it for meat.
To give you an idea of the money you are facing, I know one farmer making $20k a year from a lease, another 18k. $38k for 2 farms and they will fight like heck to protect that income. The guy that bought the property across the creek from me has bought 120 acres and built a hunting cabin. He comes up from Louisiana around halloween and stays through xmas deer hunting and some of his buddies come up with him as well as his wife and son. $240k plus the cost of a cabin as well as electric, water, etc all year long is alot to shell out for deer.

If they had good upland bird hunting they'd probably make just as much if not more and still be able to sell their deer hunts. What they dont realize is that income will not be guaranteed forever if they do not manage their deer population - Im guessing the guys shelling out that money if it's an outfitter are going to harvest all the good bucks - deplete the genetics in the area and then move on and potentially leave them in an overpopulation situation as none of the locals or regular guys were shooting the old "mature" bucks or keeping the does down, the trophy quality will go to crap as the population will all be out of whack and every 5x5 will have been taken out of the gene pool -- it doesnt happen overnight but over a period of time it will - it's starting to happen in places like the Pratt/Kinsley area and on properties my friend manages -- he's able to keep some of it at bay by the doe murdering spree that will happen soon - but that only does so much when most of the neighbors do nothing.

I don't really understand a lot of this thread. Out in my part of the state, Rooks/Graham County you can still buy land for less than a thousand an acre. Buy 80, have it farmed to raise birds (helps with bank payment) get additional government money to improve habitat i.e. CRP and shelter belts. In 15 years it's yours. Some of you pay 50k for a pick up. Stop whining and do something about the "disappearing habitat." By the way, when you do this, see how anxious you are to let someone hunt on it for nothing because really the birds belong to us all.

Have you left your home territory to explore other parts of the state? It's not whining - it's reality and buying one plot of land does nothing in the grand scheme of things unless policies are changed.

Do yourself a favor and go read the Refuge Forums post ThatGuy linked in page 7. Multiple NRs telling residents how this state needs to be run. The resident waterfowlers are fed up with the unrelenting pressure on state WMAs by NRs. There is a bit of ground swell over there to reach out and contact the commission with our concerns. I see much of the same concerns here. I have reached out to every commissioner. I don’t believe in banning NRs but lotteries and increased NR fees for NR waterfowlers and deer hunters need to be implemented. Increased NR fees along with outfitters being required to be licensed and pay an outfitters license will more than make up for any perceived revenue lost by limiting NRs. The outfitters are making bank on a public resource and pay nothing to do it. The time is NOW! Write your commissioners, attend the ZOOM meeting on 01/14/21. Were on the precipice of losing what we all love to do to the highest bidder. It’s time to take back our state.

Do yourself a favor and go read the Refuge Forums post ThatGuy linked in page 7. Multiple NRs telling residents how this state needs to be run. The resident waterfowlers are fed up with the unrelenting pressure on state WMAs by NRs. There is a bit of ground swell over there to reach out and contact the commission with our concerns. I see much of the same concerns here. I have reached out to every commissioner. I don’t believe in banning NRs but lotteries and increased NR fees for NR waterfowlers and deer hunters need to be implemented. Increased NR fees along with outfitters being required to be licensed and pay an outfitters license will more than make up for any perceived revenue lost by limiting NRs. The outfitters are making bank on a public resource and pay nothing to do it. The time is NOW! Write your commissioners, attend the ZOOM meeting on 01/14/21. Were on the precipice of losing what we all love to do to the highest bidder. It’s time to take back our state.

I think we can agree that if all or most of us do nothing - then nothing will change. I do think (with all due respect) that you are a bubble off plumb IRT the "how", assuming the primary target is still reining in the ongoing deer leasing mania that is crowding out KS resident hunters of all ilks. Specifically, Increasing fees on NR deer hunters, and on outfitters, won't help - a few hundred or even thousands of dollars in expense added to what they already shell out without blinking won't slow many of them down a bit. Worse - those added funds will likely go to KDWPT "operating costs" - meaning, would be yet another financial incentive to the Department to - you got it - sell more of our deer.

Below is the note I wrote (with great input from Chestle and Birdman2). I've sent it to each of the seven Commissioners who pretty much run this railroad, and will post here (unless I'm asked not to) any replies I get. I'll hazard a guess the silence IRT a single inquiry of this nature will be deafening - so pile on, please, if you wish. It could only help - but I presume they serve at the pleasure of the Governor who appointed them (hint for KS residents!). I'd also invite your attention to the link kindly provided by Chestle summarizing current proposed legislation related to this topic. If you doubt that KDWPT (good people all, I am quite certain) could benefit from a bit more transparency and more effective oversight (and maybe an occasional reminder that the good people of Kansas SHOULD be their primary constituency) - note in the legislative initiatives how many - pretty much all with real meat - were submitted by the KDWPT itself. Several, perhaps most, are not focused on the wildlife resources, but on expanding the already substantial authority and autonomy of the Department. Further, I'd bet that most get approved essentially as is, and then routinely passed by the legislature. Not my first rodeo, one might say.

So - here's what I sent to the seven Commissioners (repeated from above, so you don't have to scroll back IF you choose to send some variant yourself):

Dear Commissioner,
A grave disservice is being done to the citizens of Kansas. Your help is required to remedy this problem.

The very high number of non-resident deer licenses being offered by KDWPT has driven an exponential increase in the number of acres leased to outfitters and the like, effectively removing access to a many working Kansans - not only for purposes of deer hunting, but for other uses such as upland bird hunting which once benefited much larger numbers of Kansans. Perhaps even worse, diversion of land usage to deer leases appears to have significantly reduced the acreage that landowners are willing to enroll in the excellent WIHA programs that provided excellent access to so many Kansans and non-Kansans alike, stressing the remaining WIHAs to the breaking point in many instances.

Kansans are well known for their generosity, but the de facto sale of our wildlife needs to end. We ask that you move to reduce the number of non-resident deer licenses, from over 1,000 for every state of the union during the 2018-2019 season, to no more than half that number. This will significantly improve both the quality and the quantity of access to this resource to local Kansas sportsmen and women, and help foster the next generation of Kansas hunters. Further, although Kansas wildlife is not (or at least, should not be) for sale, to ameliorate any adverse impact on landowners currently profiting from these deer leases, we recommend that landowners who demonstrate a reduction in farm/ranch income as a result of this action be provided the first opportunities to enroll their acreages in an expanded WIHA program - again benefiting native Kansans and non-residents alike through restoration of access.

Native,
I agree with you for the most part. We want the same thing. My proposal of limiting NR deer/waterfowl hunters achieves what we both want. Less hunters, no guaranteed tags and perhaps the leasing demand goes down. I promise you that the commission will howl and the outfitters will use alleged loss of revenue with limiting NRs in their fight to keep/raise tag numbers. Keep the NR revenue level or rising with increased fees. Fill the KDWPT coffers with outfitter fees. They are the root of the problem. Prostitution of everyone’s resource with zero oversight or paying to play. A simple search will bring up many instances of these outfitters going down on federal indictments over the last few years. Regardless, thanks for reaching out and voicing your concerns. Everyone here needs to do it.

Government loves out of state money. Anything done has to replace that.
Native,
I agree with you for the most part. We want the same thing. My proposal of limiting NR deer/waterfowl hunters achieves what we both want. Less hunters, no guaranteed tags and perhaps the leasing demand goes down. I promise you that the commission will howl and the outfitters will use alleged loss of revenue with limiting NRs in their fight to keep/raise tag numbers. Keep the NR revenue level or rising with increased fees. Fill the KDWPT coffers with outfitter fees. They are the root of the problem. Prostitution of everyone’s resource with zero oversight or paying to play. A simple search will bring up many instances of these outfitters going down on federal indictments over the last few years. Regardless, thanks for reaching out and voicing your concerns. Everyone here needs to do it.
We certainly agree that non-resident licenses should be reduced - in specific, immediately quantifiable numbers. That WOULD slow or reverse the lease trend, no "maybe" about that.

What isn't at all clear is why you would want to jump through hoops to ensure that KDWPT's pay, perqs and privileges are sustained at whatever artificial level they and the Commissioners may have set for themselves over the years. Before you demand any particular level of funding, show us where the money is going now. Probably time for some zero based budgeting - anything that doesn't directly sustain or improve habitat on behalf of the citizen of KS w/b optional - and expendable. Bureaucracies tend to ratchet their own resources and authority up over time - it is just their nature, and even more so when they discover a nice external cash cow with no effective oversight. It would be nice to see some comparative data on the Department's budget and staffing from, say, 20 years ago vs today. Who knows - maybe they DO need the existing funding, or even more - but the process we've seen for determining NR licensing leaves me thinking that there is likely a lot of room for more efficiency. I'd ask them to start with a better understanding of what mission the citizens of Kansas require them to perform - marketing wildlife resources to the detriment of said Kansas not being among them.

Most counterintuitive is the notion that taxing outfitters to fill KDWPT coffers will somehow reduce the deer leasing trend that we have agreed is root cause of dwindling resident access. Firstly - the outfitters will gladly pony up. They'll just up their per-hunter fees a few percentage points. Secondly - you are suggesting increasing resources for the very entity that designed, implemented and sustained the plan to - essentially - sell KS wildlife to non-residents at the expense of all Kansans. It bewilders me, for one, why you'd want to reward and sustain that kind of operational plan. Lets see how responsive the Commissioners are to the specific suggestions we are making to improve access for Kansans. I hope I'm wrong - but will guess, not so much. If so, the way to improve that is not to ensure their coffers stay full! Hope you'll share any response you get here, on this forum - as will I.

Government loves out of state money. Anything done has to replace that.

Farmer hit it on the head -- I've searched for about 10 mins on google but can not find it -- there was a podcast -- I think Capitol Insider where they interviewed Robin Jennison when he was Sec of KDWPT -- it is fairly recent - but it's buried now or offline -

Anyways I can save you some time - he detailed in this podcast how after the cuts of Brownback which haven't been fully reversed due to the states revenue cuts and lack of economic development that he had to run the KDWPT more like a business.

Whomever above was saying you need to cut their money off - if you want to get laughed out of their office please present that argument. This is all about money -- frame the argument that more can be made via upland focus, saving the butterfly and other bs and you'll get people who will listen -- also revenue replacements and solutions would need to be found for landowners -- IE South Dakota's model.

Another solid point I'm tired of repeating for guys who do not deer hunt nor know squat about it is our state has NOT been managing the deer herd AT ALL for quite a few years --- You can not have sound management of the resource by allowing guys to hunt statewide, in seasons as long as they are and not forcing a doe harvest to get #'s down. The biologists have been prevented from doing their job - they used to be able to do so which is why KS was noted for big deer -- look in the record books - most of the records are quite old and none are going to be broken anytime soon the way things are ran.

Sound management will curtail some of the leasing which is what I'd like to see - 2 benefits - is it hopefully opens things up for residents a bit - and #2 since I did like to deer hunt it should increase the quality if they aren't letting it be a free for all which is what it is now.

Management and revenue are what need to be harped on - these are govt bureaucrats - they will probably get a glazed over look when talking about management - but talk about their bottom line and they'll listen.

One idea I’m kicking around is the structure of the various seasons.

Some states allow Residents a week (maybe two?) of hunting before Non-residents get to hunt. This can in effect shorten NR seasons for upland/deer/waterfowl which might reduce demand.

Possibly coupling that with further limiting NR tag numbers, going to lotteries on waterfowl etc

Just some thoughts

Native,

I am not into waterfowl but appreciate seeing them and would like to go on a good duck hunt with some guys in one of those fancy blinds you see with heaters and cooking breakfast lol -- I'd share an upland hunt for the invite...HA

Anyways what are the issues facing waterfowl?

The waterfowl issues can be tied to leasing and/or outfitters. Much like the deer crowd untold acres are getting tied up with leasing. This includes private water and ag fields. Day leasing is becoming a big thing for these outfitters. They tie up the land but only pay on the days they actually use it. This locks out everyone for the entire season. As you know KS has very little WMAs and fewer that support waterfowl. What’s happening is more residents and nonresidents alike are forced to hunt the remaining public areas as they are locked out without fat wallets. Problems abound. There are people getting into fist fights over spots, blocking boat ramps, sky busting, driving boats thru other’s decoy spreads. The amount of litter and wanton waste observed this year alone is sickening. There is unrelenting pressure from sun up to sundown. A drive thru Cheyenne Bottoms will turn up 3:1 NR vehicles compared to residents. This is why I’m a proponent of lotteries for the NR duck crowd and limiting of NR deer tags. Both of the Dakotas limit NRs in some fashion and it works. People pay the higher price for licenses and deal with restrictions on allotted hunting time and in turn they have a better chance at a quality experience. If you have an hour to kill read the refuge forums post referenced on page 7.

Farmer hit it on the head -- I've searched for about 10 mins on google but can not find it -- there was a podcast -- I think Capitol Insider where they interviewed Robin Jennison when he was Sec of KDWPT -- it is fairly recent - but it's buried now or offline -

Anyways I can save you some time - he detailed in this podcast how after the cuts of Brownback which haven't been fully reversed due to the states revenue cuts and lack of economic development that he had to run the KDWPT more like a business.

Whomever above was saying you need to cut their money off - if you want to get laughed out of their office please present that argument. This is all about money -- frame the argument that more can be made via upland focus, saving the butterfly and other bs and you'll get people who will listen -- also revenue replacements and solutions would need to be found for landowners -- IE South Dakota's model.

Another solid point I'm tired of repeating for guys who do not deer hunt nor know squat about it is our state has NOT been managing the deer herd AT ALL for quite a few years --- You can not have sound management of the resource by allowing guys to hunt statewide, in seasons as long as they are and not forcing a doe harvest to get #'s down. The biologists have been prevented from doing their job - they used to be able to do so which is why KS was noted for big deer -- look in the record books - most of the records are quite old and none are going to be broken anytime soon the way things are ran.

Sound management will curtail some of the leasing which is what I'd like to see - 2 benefits - is it hopefully opens things up for residents a bit - and #2 since I did like to deer hunt it should increase the quality if they aren't letting it be a free for all which is what it is now.

Management and revenue are what need to be harped on - these are govt bureaucrats - they will probably get a glazed over look when talking about management - but talk about their bottom line and they'll listen.

You are tired of repeating your unsupported assertions for these annoying little people who keep asking mostly unanswered questions? I hope that isn't KDWPT's stance, too - we'll see.

This has been a very productive discussion for the most part, IMHO , with a couple of notable exceptions. Facts, analysis and honest discussion -good; heuristics - not helpful. KDWPT needs more money 'cause they (you) said so, and if we don't pay them tribute they'll laugh at us. Breaking news - they'll be laughing even harder when you pay them even more for screwing over us, and the wildlife of KS they've been selling.

SHOW us the before and after staffing and funding levels. Very basic information. No insult intended, honest question - are you now, or have you ever been an employee (contractor or direct) of the state of KS? Just trying to understand the underpinnings of your position.

You are tired of repeating your unsupported assertions for these annoying little people who keep asking mostly unanswered questions? I hope that isn't KDWPT's stance, too - we'll see.

This has been a very productive discussion for the most part, IMHO , with a couple of notable exceptions. Facts, analysis and honest discussion -good; heuristics - not helpful. KDWPT needs more money 'cause they (you) said so, and if we don't pay them tribute they'll laugh at us. Breaking news - they'll be laughing even harder when you pay them even more for screwing over us, and the wildlife of KS they've been selling.

SHOW us the before and after staffing and funding levels. Very basic information. No insult intended, honest question - are you now, or have you ever been an employee (contractor or direct) of the state of KS? Just trying to understand the underpinnings of your position.

No I have not ever been an employee of the state. Our business is heavily state regulated so we deal with the state employees in our appropriate regulating bodies routinely and also receive some of our funding via Fed money so have to stay up to date on what goes on at the state house. If you are a resident of KS you must not pay attention to the political goings on and underpinnings of our government.

If you dont live here - then fine I'll excuse the ignorance - our state has had cuts in all facets of services the Government typically provides from the DMV, Tags/Titles to the KDWPT - you name it (Any members that are KS residents and have bought a vehicle in the past few years can attest to some of the fiascos that have happened there and this has been an ongoing issue for a # of years)

So if you want hard data I'm sure you'll be able to chase it down - I'm not wasting my time as I dont need to prove a point to you - if you'd like to fact check me you'll be able to find it.

If you think you're going to win any sort of argument by wanting to cut funding to a government entity and win any friends there - then you're sadly mistaken. I wish I could find that podcast Former Sec of Wildlife and Parks Robin Jennison did - he explained in a clear and concise manner how the department needed to be ran and is being ran under present conditions.

KS hardly has any Game wardens - in the western part of the state - one may cover several counties -- Read PrairieDrifters posts and filter through them - I've met him on a couple occasions and he's a great guy - he works for the KDWPT -- he has alluded to some of the things the dept has went through as well....the KDWPT office runs on a lean budget - I live here and see what's going on - I'm not in the court of law where I need to present the facts - other residents have reported the same - You'll find your budgetary concerns somewhere online and by making phone calls if you wish - I guess I'm spending my time typing this reply but dont want to spend the hours it will take to find what you're after. I'd guess you'll find the info either in some department at the Capitol or by connecting with the right person in Pratt at the KDWPT HQ. The state websites are all running on old tech so it's probably going to be hard to find what you're after online unless you know exactly where to go.

As for deer - if you cant understand with the information we've presented you why there is no deer management going on and why herd control and proper management is important - then it's going to be like talking to a fence post. If you dont hunt deer fine - but read up on the subject - understand it and then see what KS allows vs other trophy states such as Iowa, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico etc. Look up their deer regulations for residents v non residents - look at the size of the units - their season dates etc then you may be able to get some sort of understanding in how KS is not doing anything.

No I have not ever been an employee of the state. Our business is heavily state regulated so we deal with the state employees in our appropriate regulating bodies routinely and also receive some of our funding via Fed money so have to stay up to date on what goes on at the state house. If you are a resident of KS you must not pay attention to the political goings on and underpinnings of our government.

If you dont live here - then fine I'll excuse the ignorance - our state has had cuts in all facets of services the Government typically provides from the DMV, Tags/Titles to the KDWPT - you name it (Any members that are KS residents and have bought a vehicle in the past few years can attest to some of the fiascos that have happened there and this has been an ongoing issue for a # of years)

So if you want hard data I'm sure you'll be able to chase it down - I'm not wasting my time as I dont need to prove a point to you - if you'd like to fact check me you'll be able to find it.

If you think you're going to win any sort of argument by wanting to cut funding to a government entity and win any friends there - then you're sadly mistaken. I wish I could find that podcast Former Sec of Wildlife and Parks Robin Jennison did - he explained in a clear and concise manner how the department needed to be ran and is being ran under present conditions.

KS hardly has any Game wardens - in the western part of the state - one may cover several counties -- Read PrairieDrifters posts and filter through them - I've met him on a couple occasions and he's a great guy - he works for the KDWPT -- he has alluded to some of the things the dept has went through as well....the KDWPT office runs on a lean budget - I live here and see what's going on - I'm not in the court of law where I need to present the facts - other residents have reported the same - You'll find your budgetary concerns somewhere online and by making phone calls if you wish - I guess I'm spending my time typing this reply but dont want to spend the hours it will take to find what you're after. I'd guess you'll find the info either in some department at the Capitol or by connecting with the right person in Pratt at the KDWPT HQ. The state websites are all running on old tech so it's probably going to be hard to find what you're after online unless you know exactly where to go.

As for deer - if you cant understand with the information we've presented you why there is no deer management going on and why herd control and proper management is important - then it's going to be like talking to a fence post. If you dont hunt deer fine - but read up on the subject - understand it and then see what KS allows vs other trophy states such as Iowa, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico etc. Look up their deer regulations for residents v non residents - look at the size of the units - their season dates etc then you may be able to get some sort of understanding in how KS is not doing anything.

I see. Your industry is heavily regulated at the state level, for which you receive Federal funds. To keep receiving fed money, you must stay abreast of state politics, which has provided you with in depth knowledge of KDWPT's mission and funding. That's an intriguing business that you are in - you big tease!

This is an argument, only to the extent that you choose to make it one - although I would point out that your assertion that "I don't need no stinking facts because I don't need to prove anything" sort of validates my point about your input, doesn't it? There has been a lot of good discussion and some excellent information shared here, IMHO. If the result is some impetus toward better resident access, via reduced leasing, due to fewer out of state deer sales - that is a win, in my book. At least we didn't execute the wrong booger men (Farm Bureau, farmers/ranchers and Monsanto) as some suggested at the outset of this exchange of information and views.

NO doubt whatsoever about the very fine front line people at KDWPT (which was the topic of discussion before you expanded it to the DMV, inter alia). That line is spread thin, and I have the utmost respect for every single one of them and what they do. However. That doesn't mean that the people at the top end of that pyramid live by the same rule set. When I call a conservation officer ("game warden") to inquire about this year's plans for dove fields, for instance - I always get a prompt, helpful and courteous response. So far my inquiries about non-resident deer sales at the policy making level, not so much. Which may be a clue here. Your results may vary - I certainly hope so - and will look forward to hearing all about it.

Native,
Sounds like the voice of reason - follow the money if you want results.

Although it will probably take about 5 minutes for "experts" to advise otherwise while producing no actual data, facts or evidence to the contrary (jump in, lads) any kind of specific information on KDWPT dollar inflows and outflows has proven elusive to date. However, I did find this broad, generic description of the KDWPT funding process: KDWPT-Funding-Overview-1.pdf (tiak.org)

There may actually be a valuable nugget of actionable information in this link. Which is that apparently a very large part (significant majority, it sounds like) of KDWPT funding actually comes from Federal PR funds. That apparently includes salaries, benefits, perqs, and all forms of overhead. Good news - that sort of decouples KDWPT's lifeblood from non-resident deer sales - right? Nope. Because the take from PR funds is driven by total (resident and non-resident) license and tag sales. Not clear whether this is based on the total dollar take, or the quantity of licenses and tags but it sounds like it is quantity-driven.

Which gives rise to a thought. A, bureaucratic one - but this appears to be a tough nut to crack, and it isn't likely to solve itself (deer extinction wishes in some quarters notwithstanding). Why not increase the quantity of "license and tag" sales by reducing the general hunting (and maybe fishing) license fees greatly - while adding "tag" fees to hunt, say - pheasant, quail, rabbit, squirrel, coyotes - you name it. And perhaps blue cats, flat heads, crappie.... Such that the total cost per resident hunter or fisher averages about the same, but he/she (see, I AM political attuned) has a fistful of "tags" (maybe checkoffs on the backside of the license) to go with it. This ought to increase Kansas' share of the PR money that funds about 75% of the Department sufficiently to offset a reduction in NR deer tags. Plus some, maybe.

I suppose one might say that I am suggesting that we game the system - but isn't that what the Outfitters have already done, to our great detriment?

Native,
You may be on to something. I’m certain ND does this exact thing. To upland hunt there you have to purchase 3 “licenses”. A Hunting certificate for $2, a General Game/Habitat License for $20 and a small game license for $100. They then limit you to 2 weeks. Waterfowl is a totally separate license. If you want to hunt coyotes you have to purchase a NR furbearer. Maybe they have figured out a “loop hole”. I still think the outfitters need to pony up. There are also NR outfitters that have set up shop. They need to pay even more. They don’t live here and don’t contribute squat to the general tax base throughout the year. Somehow they get to profit off of Kansas wildlife with zero input????? It’s beyond ridiculous.

West KS Bowhunter hit the nail on the head - I've railed on this very subject for a long time -

I'd say there are 3 main culprits for upland declines

1. - farming/ag practices -- IE Clean farming -
    (I think the ag industry may have finally taken this too far -- I've been starting to see more "mainstream" articles on the plight of the Monarch butterfly -- this is the opportunity of a lifetime ie CRISIS that has been needed by wildlife preservation groups to get policy changes enacted to battle against the poison companies such as Monsanto, Bayer etc -- time will tell if the wildlife groups all get along and SIEZE and take advantage of this "crisis")
  2. Habitat - goes along with what I listed above - but loss of CRP acres -- we no longer have many patches of CRP touching each other in KS or in very close proximity -- prior to say 2012-2013 or so when most of it started coming out you could throw a dart at darn near any place in KS save for SE KS who had already ruined their habitat in the 90s and get into decent bird #s -- now the upland birds are even more fragmented than they've ever been.
  3. Access Issues -- this was caused by what WestKS talked about - when NR deer hunting started - it was the nail in the coffin for access to good upland access and even the decline of some habitat in some areas IMO -- I've got all the WIHA maps going back to when the program started - grew up around Wichita - I was born in 80 - really got into upland hunting w a dog in the early 00's when I was in college and just out - all my 2 buddies and I needed to do was drive about 45-60 mins west of Wichita and we had more WIHA land to hunt than we could even touch if we hunted multiple times a week and almost all of them we'd see birds on - Fast forward to now - there is only one KDWPT biologist worth the money he's paid and he is able to still get WIHA land enrolled that is quality upland habitat near Wichita - the rest has all went away due to deer leasing and likely biologists who dont give a crap.

I moved to Topeka 3 years ago for a biz opportunity and have driven around what little WIHA there is within an hour of here -- there is very very little and I must have not explored it enough but I haven't seen anything that gets me excited about bird hunting so I plan my bird hunts on making 3-5 hr one way drives.

Anyways - where I was going with the deer issue is that KS has seen deer as the low hanging fruit to generate money for their department - what they've failed to see is that you can hunt White Tails in all 50 states - who gives a damn - and the funny thing is good upland habitat is good for all other species as we very likely all know here - KS has failed to put any emphasis on enrolling strictly QUALITY upland habitat which as I said funny enough is great for all the other types of hunting the heralded deer included -- also the likes of the KS Bow Hunting Association which IMO are the most involved Special Interest organization besides the Ag/Outfitters association has managed to all collude together to get to a point where there is ZERO deer management as evidenced by the fact the seasons in some parts are nearly 5-6 mos long. There are many other ways to rail on this - but I think you get the point. So the slippery slope was the focus on deer - extending seasons to ridiculous lengths to satisfy landowners, outfitters and the KBA which has led to even more leasing for stinking equivalent of rodents -- dont get me wrong - I love to deer hunt but have come to hate White tails as they represent the ruination of hunting in KS -- until we get solid deer management (hunters actually relegated to units again - no guarantee on tags - a war on does in certain areas -- IE if you go back to a draw system and force people to shoot does instead of allowing everyone to shoot bucks) possibly fragmented seasons - IE you draw an archery tag for early season and are only allowed to hunt then - there is a "rut" archery - post rut etc -- and break up the damn deer seasons you may get a break in all these yahoos only focusing on deer and realizing more money will come into the state and local communities focusing on upland where you can have many many more hunters enjoy the same resource - to top it off wild upland birds are very SCARCE -- KS right now has a Scarce product -- and doesn't even realize how to capitalize on it and are just letting it get flushed down the toilet. If policies were put in place to limit deer we could solve a lot of problems.

****Heres a caveat and a problem all this Leasing is creating IMO -- a buddy of mine works for some very wealthy landowners as their "Land Manager" -- he works hard and worked hard to get to this position - he has to fight with these guys all the time over the importance of upland habitat and keeping deer #'s in check -- they simply dont understand it -- but one things he's noticing in his area and he's been preaching to these landowners is that they must keep the does in check as no one else around them is - they are starting to see very few if any nice 5x5 and above racks on deer - as many outfitters, out of state hunters etc are leasing the land or coming in and shooting the first 10 pt that walks by not letting them grow and refusing to shoot does - in some areas all of his food plots get eaten down to nothing - they are causing their own environmental disaster as they are allowing deer to become overpopulated and will ruin their deer hunting slowly and not even know it - the one thing us bird hunters can pray for is a massive outbreak of EHD that absolutely kills virtually all of the white tails and makes these deer horn porn guys run for the hills and go to another state and slowly ruin their trophy quality and upland hunting. With the over population in some areas I think they're setting themselves up for this - also my buddy has been getting lots of complaints about the lack of big deer on camera - he laughs at them and keeps explaining what's going on but they dont listen - they also do not understand the "big" ones typically do not come to a feeder and live out in the sandhills never to be seen - I haven't been able to hunt w my buddy for a few years and miss it - but he always kills some old knarly buck in the pastures with no trees around and his out of state landowners cant understand how -- CRP and no trees is good for your trophy quality too - damn out of state deer hunters never understand that either.

***Another post script - I'd love to see deer feeding/baiting illegal unless it's with protein pellets only - feeding nest robbers corn/grain is a crime against our upland birds -- all these darn feeders do is mostly feed racoons and possums to the detriment of our upland bird populations IMO. I have no scientific proof or studies - just a good hunch its not doing them any good at all!

The first thing I'd like to see happen are changes in the deer management - when I have some free time and the offices re-open I plan to be a very very squeaky wheel to the KDWPT secretary and my local elected officials - I doubt it will do any good but at least I can say I took some action - I've volunteered the same efforts to a near to me PF chapter so we will see what happens of that instead of complaining about them.
"Fast forward to now - there is only one KDWPT biologist worth the money he's paid and he is able to still get WIHA land enrolled that is quality upland habitat near Wichita - the rest has all went away due to deer leasing and likely biologists who dont give a crap."

I wanted to take a second to address this, as the topic being discussed is extremely near and dear to my heart, and the rest of our Wildlife Division staff. We are constantly having this same discussion, day-in and day-out. When we are out leasing WIHA tracts, don't you think we're running into the same issues that the hunter is, when out searching for a quality property to access? It's a struggle in most parts of the state, given our limited budget. We keep plugging away though, day-in and day-out. I think when most folks view our Wildlife Biologists, from the outside, they see Government Employees. These employees are here because they have the same burning desire for the Kansas hunting heritage as all of you on this Forum. Many of them, like myself, only hunt on WIHA lands, as we've invested so much in the program. When we lose a quality tract due to any of the reasons mentioned on this thread, it truly ruins our day.

If we have an employee who "doesn't give a crap", which is highly unlikely, it is because they are as beat down as all of you in regard to the access issues at-hand in our state.

Thank you so much for your clear passion and respect for the wildlife of Kansas! I assure you, our Biologists are hard at work on securing the next great tract of WIHA.

"Fast forward to now - there is only one KDWPT biologist worth the money he's paid and he is able to still get WIHA land enrolled that is quality upland habitat near Wichita - the rest has all went away due to deer leasing and likely biologists who dont give a crap."

I wanted to take a second to address this, as the topic being discussed is extremely near and dear to my heart, and the rest of our Wildlife Division staff. We are constantly having this same discussion, day-in and day-out. When we are out leasing WIHA tracts, don't you think we're running into the same issues that the hunter is, when out searching for a quality property to access? It's a struggle in most parts of the state, given our limited budget. We keep plugging away though, day-in and day-out. I think when most folks view our Wildlife Biologists, from the outside, they see Government Employees. These employees are here because they have the same burning desire for the Kansas hunting heritage as all of you on this Forum. Many of them, like myself, only hunt on WIHA lands, as we've invested so much in the program. When we lose a quality tract due to any of the reasons mentioned on this thread, it truly ruins our day.

If we have an employee who "doesn't give a crap", which is highly unlikely, it is because they are as beat down as all of you in regard to the access issues at-hand in our state.

Thank you so much for your clear passion and respect for the wildlife of Kansas! I assure you, our Biologists are hard at work on securing the next great tract of WIHA.
Good feed. I've yet to meet a CO who "doesn't give a crap" - quite the contrary, and I think we can safely assume that game biologists are equally dedicated. Which makes it all the more important to make sure that KS receives a fair cut of the PR funds that pay most of your salary - without out sourcing our wildlife resources. This can - and should - be done; see the new "Are Kansans being shortchanged" thread.

Back