Looking for Brit or GSP

Coachanorton

I’m looking for a Britany or GSP pup. It doesn’t have to be AKC reg. Male or female it will be fixed. Looking for a dog i can hunt pheasant and quail with and is a good family dog.

Miforester and I have both had good luck with Neivenie Kennels in Illinois , My dog Ginger is one of the best brittnaies I have owned and that’s close to 40 years worth of Brittany’s .

I will let Forester chime in here but I would be happy to hunt behind is spunky Brittany any day .

A good friend of mine runs all shorthairs and between the Britt’s and shorthairs we do pretty good .
He won’t have any pups for another year or so .

Let us know how you come out welcome to the site !!!

A young GSP is like a tornado in the house, give them 5-6 years and they start settling down. But it is that 100 mph personality that makes them the machine they are in the field, no quit in them. With young children a young GSP might be a little too much dog, if you can find one with a 100,00 miles on him, they are fine house dogs/pets. The Brit would be a better house dog if you start with a puppy....IMHO. Let us know what you get.

Brittanys are bird dogs, but I have had all mine live in the house. I have had Britts for almost 40 years now. First one at 18 and my dad did not own bird dogs before that. Brittanys make fantastic house pets and it is amazing the dual personality that they will develop. In the field it is all business first.

Of the six Britts I have owned 2 were male (first and current younger dog) and 4 female. I can tell you that all my prior preconcieved perseptions (more difficult to train and listening) of a male dog are gone. Current male is solid all around. First male was a little difficult which drove me to the girls. Girl dogs can have incontinence issues as they approach 12 years of age. Not breed specific, but what I learned is it is due to being spayed ... there is an inexpensive pill that cures this if/when that time comes.

They will cause chaos. A fenced back yard and early crate training help alot. Exercise is the best thing to a cure all there is. I typically walk the dogs 1 - 2 miles every morning. Once early fall comes, we are out running or hunting several days a week until the snow is too deep (for me). If people are not used to an "active" dog and cannot learn to tolerate them being "perky", then ...

Shedding is an issue with Brittanys. Brushing helps ... some. Vacuuming regularily and having pet rollers for dress clothes will be important.

Last edited:
Back