What's for Dinner?

NDPheasant

Hear are some of my family's favorite pheasant recipes:

1. Spicy Pheasant Strips: Hot pan with a little oil, dip the pheasant strips into egg wash and flour. Fry until they are golden. Remove and turn heat down. Once pan has cooled down a little, throw the strips back into the pan and add as much or as little Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. Eat with or without rice. These are amazing and served at a local restaurant.

2. Kaison Strips: You are going to fry these in oil. I use a cast iron pan with a fair amount of oil. Fry Daddy would work great too. Dip strips/chunks into egg wash. Then flour and dip in Frank's Hot Sauce. Dip in flour again and then fry. Always a mess to make but they are tasty.

3. Shredded Pheasant: Put breasts in crockpot, season to taste and add a 12oz of Chicken Broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or Low for 5-6 hours. Take out and shred them. My family loves the shredded pheasant on salads, soft shell tacos, nachos, chicken alfredo (or Canjun) or wild rice soup.

Let me know what you think! If you hate them, they are my mother-in-law's recipe and if you love them I accept full credit. With the narrow strips in recipe #1/2 my wife still gets a little nervous about hitting a BB but will eat it. The shredded is a hit for everyone because it eliminates as close to 100% as you can get of biting down on a BB.

great sounding recipes. thanks.

Love pheasant strips...

Pheasant tacos / fajitas / quesadillas have become a favorite in our house.

Pheasant - Caesar Wraps (Romaine, tomatoes, croutons, and dressing) are another .... I think a buffalo pheasant wrap would be great too...

Diced pheasant in an Asian stir fry (pea pods, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts, etc) is another one.

Ive always wondered / wanted to pluck a whole pheasant and deep fry it like people do with turkeys. Bet it would be awesome!!

Ive always wondered / wanted to pluck a whole pheasant and deep fry it like people do with turkeys. Bet it would be awesome!!
Agree, but I have never plucked a pheasant successfully. Skin to thin or I have too strong hands :)

I have slipped them over a Mich Ultra can (thinner in diameter) and made it like a beer can chicken. Over cooked the 1st time but didn't make that mistake the second. That was pretty good.

A new favorite....Pheasant Chow Mein. I used three packs of Chicken Ramon Noodles instead of the Chow Mein Noodles. Just crunch up the Ramon Noodles before opening. I soaked mine for about 2 minutes before adding to the skillet. Now all you need is 4-D so you have Smell-e-vision. Awesome stuff!
IMG_0147.jpeg62977309775__FB4308AD-AC5A-4297-BE03-FA745803180A.fullsizerender.jpeg

My favorite thing to do with pheasant is making jalapeno pheasant poppers. Not exactly an original but it's the best haha

I save my pheasants for the super bowl and make a ton of poppers to eat with the family.

Another easy one is I'll just cut them into bite sized pieces, beer batter them and fry them.

I found a recipe for making a turkey pot pie in the crock pot that I'm going to give a go but with pheasant.

I like to meal prep on Sundays and have good food the rest of the week, I can usually get a whole bird to last me 5 meals. Put a whole bird in the crockpot, I've found that about 5 hours on low is perfect - shorter and it's not done, longer and it starts falling apart and you get too many little bones and stuff sitting in with the meat. At 5 hours you can shred everything off without getting little bone spurs and such.

Get creative in how you cook it. Right now I have tons of apples from our apple trees in our yard, I usually stuff the bird full of apples and add a bit of water, maybe a splash of bbq sauce or some seasoning. Could add anything you want while it cooks to flavor it, or brine it beforehand.

I then shred it and use the meat for a wide variety of things. Literally anything you can think of that needs a meat. My pheasant this week has gone in a salad, a quesadilla, loaded baked potato, bbq sandwich, and lettuce/tomato/onion/mayo sandwich. I like to add it to stir frys quite often too. My favorite is a breaded/baked pheasant breast sandwich - I don't do it often though since I get a lot of meat off a whole bird in the crockpot.

I also like to do "beer butt pheasant" on the grill. Brine overnight, let dry for a day. Grill on indirect heat for about 45 minutes.

Pheasant Chili in the crockpot. Whatever chili ingredients you want + whole bird. Take the bird out a bit early before it falls apart, shred it, add the meat back in to finish cooking.

Back