Best breed for finding cripples

Fnewguy

Starting to look at getting a second bird dog for pheasant hunting. Currently have a 5 yr. old lab that I really like but looking at other breeds. Previous 3 dogs have been GSPs. I really value the ability to find down birds and cripples. My lab is pretty good in this regard. What breed generally would be considered the best on down birds and cripples ? I am thinking labs, springers, Drahthaar, Brittany ? or is this more of an individual dog trait not dependent on breed ?

The average hunting lab will put more downed birds in the vest than the average field bred line of any other breed. There are many many reasons to get a different breed of gundog, but game recovery is just not one of them.

I once heard it said a crippled rooster runs like a purse snatcher, and that about sums it up. This question begins and ends with labs, period, full stop...

Last edited:
See user name.... lol

In all seriousness, my answer to this question is a bit more detailed. Any breed can be very very good at finding cripples. How you train and handle your dogs as well as the biggest factor.... bird contacts... will be factors in how good any dog is at recovering downed birds. I have a drill I do with young dogs that helps them persevere in dead bird hunts. I will take a bird and wipe it on the ground in a certain spot and then put it back in my bag. Bring the dog in and tell it "dead bird". Let the dog hunt and move away from the area where I know there is no scent. Call it back a few times and make it hunt where the scent was/is. When the dog isn't able to see, pull the bird out and throw it back in the spot. Dog discovers bird and praise them. Do this in a number of situations and your dog's dead bird hunt WILL improve. However, the biggest factor is quite simply bird contacts and exposure. A close second is how the handler lets the dog work out the downed bird.

Well Labrador , I do similar drill with my Brittanys and a friends short hair has picked it up as well .

I think main factor is dog marking hit bird and a dog that will follow foot scent / trained to do so

Any well bred bird dog whose prey drive lives up to its breeding. If you're talking about wild roosters (ACTUAL wild ones)... experience is key. Hard to hunt 5 days a year & expect much progress. Have to shoot birds for them & do it often as possible. If you can't do that, then just get any old, reasonably well bred FBESS. He'll take care of you. 😉

To prevent cripples, you could practice your shooting, only take reasonable killing shots, if you have to use non-toxic, use something other than steel and train your dog to hunt dead.

As far as dogs go, you better end up with a breed live with the other 350 days a year, you aren't hunting, Why did you go away from GSP? If the ones you had weren't interested in hunting dead and retrieving, maybe you need to look for another breeder.

I'm a GSP guy, but the best dogs I've seen, over the years, for finding downed, crippled birds are black labs.

But, it's a non-issue banging at close range over solid points. This is my preference.

Tom Dokken's view ( click link ) Training Tips to Recover More Wounded Birds

Another thing I do right off with a young pup is microwave a cheap hot dog for 20 seconds until it gets good and greasy. Then I put most of it on a fishing pole and drag it through the short lawn grass (into the wind) a few feet leaving a greasy scent trail. At the end of the trail drop a thumbnail size chunk. Put the pup down and let him trail it to a chunk of hot dog while say "track". Do this 2 or 3 times a session.They're pretty food oriented, so they catch on quick. Then make the trail longer. Then put zig zags in the trail. Then use a little longer cover. Then transition to bird scent on a dummy with the piece of hot dog at the end. Transition to occasional hot dog prize but always praise. Then transition to no hot dog, just praise.Time consuming but makes good trackers. IMO. YMMV.

Tom Dokken's view ( click link ) Training Tips to Recover More Wounded Birds

Another thing I do right off with a young pup is microwave a cheap hot dog for 20 seconds until it gets good and greasy. Then I put most of it on a fishing pole and drag it through the short lawn grass (into the wind) a few feet leaving a greasy scent trail. At the end of the trail drop a thumbnail size chunk. Put the pup down and let him trail it to a chunk of hot dog while say "track". Do this 2 or 3 times a session.They're pretty food oriented, so they catch on quick. Then make the trail longer. Then put zig zags in the trail. Then use a little longer cover. Then transition to bird scent on a dummy with the piece of hot dog at the end. Transition to occasional hot dog prize but always praise. Then transition to no hot dog, just praise.Time consuming but makes good trackers. IMO. YMMV.
I like Dokken's article...and his training. Have had one dog trained by him and two others trained by an ex Dokken trainer, now on his own.

Can't say I've tried the hot dog trick, but I bet it works!

A dog doesn't know what breed it is. I could pick any young mutt out of the pound and teach it to find cripples better than most dogs owned by hunters. I have owned labs for over 35 years now but I may try a golden or boykin for my next dog.

A dog doesn't know what breed it is. I could pick any young mutt out of the pound and teach it to find cripples better than most dogs owned by hunters. I have owned labs for over 35 years now but I may try a golden or boykin for my next dog.
And there it is. I have owned labs for a long time and have had some good ones that were great trackers and finders of dead birds. Retrievers obviously have a leg up, but that does not mean most dogs cannot be taught to do it. It is all in the effort you want to put into it. I have hunted with Goldens and Labs that wouldn't put the effort in to find anything, and I have hunted with a couple Pointers that were great.

Well for what it is worth, my Draht was the best at bringing birds to me that I had and that I have observed. His nose was amazing. having been in the business for 18 years I have had the pleasure of observing many breeds of dogs, Some very memorable. I think there are great retrievers in many breeds and there are dogs that are just pets that happen to go hunting but really don't know why in many breeds also. It really is about the individual dog and the training.

I once heard it said a crippled rooster runs like a purse snatcher, and that about sums it up. This question begins and ends with labs, period, full stop...
I agree.Labs are very good at finding wounded birds, and pounding thick cover.

Back