Ruffed Grouse Hunting in MN

jackrabbit

I know this is a pheasant forum, but switching topics on a different bird. I have never hunted Ruffed Grouse before but I am going to have a weekend in Cass County, MN in mid-November seeing some family. And the dog is going to be along... So I figured there's no better time to try my hand at Grouse for a short bit of time if I can sneak out from family.

What types of cover do you look for? Just from what I have researched, an area of old and young forest, following trails or logging roads. Look for the grouse where there is a "change." A little swamp, a field opening, something different. (Sounds fairly relatable to pheasants, look for the "cover within the cover" or the structure within the cover).

If I am limited in the time I can try and get out, since it is a family weekend, what time of the day should I try to get out?

There is a lot of public land to choose from. Looking through the MN DNR Website, it looks like these Hunter Walking Trails for Grouse might be something for a first timer to try? Or are they too easy and accessible that others will have scared birds away from them already this year? There's also dedicated "Roughed Grouse Management Areas, I'm guessing they are hit hard? There's also State Forests and National Forests... Lots of land to choose from, almost too much to try and narrow down just for a few hours of walking.

Lastly, it would be during the 2nd weekend of Deer Hunting season.... I'm not a deer hunter, but I understand that could potentially be a bad time to hit the forests in Northern MN...? Would this deter any of you? Or since it's my only option, make sure I and the dog have orange on and follow simple common sense courtesy rules of public land - if another vehicle is in the parking lot, move on to a different spot.

Lastly, it would be during the 2nd weekend of Deer Hunting season.... I'm not a deer hunter, but I understand that could potentially be a bad time to hit the forests in Northern MN...? Would this deter any of you? Or since it's my only option, make sure I and the dog have orange on and follow simple common sense courtesy rules of public land - if another vehicle is in the parking lot, move on to a different spot.
I deer hunt in Cass County (Chippewa National Forest) for the first 3 days of deer season. While its an enormous piece of land, and I rarely encounter another hunter other than in the truck on the road or an ATV on the Soo Line, I still would not want to be in those woods during any portion of deer firearms season chasing birds. Its just not worth it IMO. I don't see a lot of grouse, but I see enough where I believe I could have a decent hunt should I decide to hunt grouse there (outside of deer firearms season, of course). The other issue is that you simply don't know where people are deer hunting until you see them, and at that point, its too late. Just because you see a truck on the road doesn't mean they are hunting in the piece right next to the road. I park the truck nowhere near where I'm hunting because I don't want people knowing where I hunt and because I'm trying to make as little noise as possible.

Grouse season is about 3.5 months long and deer season is 16 days. The simple answer is to avoid those 16 days and hunt grouse during another portion of the 3.5 months it is open.

Should you still decide that you want to try this, make sure you dress FULLY in blaze orange, both yourself and the dog...and don't go on a weekend either. There are added blaze orange requirements and special ATV use times during deer firearms/muzzleloader seasons and there will be CO's out there enforcing it.

Hope that helps you jackrabiit.

Last edited:
still would not want to be in those woods during any portion of deer firearms season chasing birds. Its just not worth it IMO. I don't see a lot of grouse, but I see enough where I believe I could have a decent hunt should I decide to hunt grouse there (outside of deer firearms season, of course).

Grouse season is about 3.5 months long and deer season is 16 days. The simple answer is to avoid those 16 days and hunt grouse during another portion of the 3.5 months it is open.

Should you still decide that you want to try this, make sure you dress FULLY in blaze orange, both yourself and the dog...and don't go on a weekend either.
Thanks for the reply, above is kind of the answers I thought I might get but hoped I wouldn't get. Unfortunately it's just the one time I'll be in the area, so pretty limited to that weekend and just want to give grouse hunting a try while I am in the area with my dog. But it may not be worth it. Always wanted to try it, but never really wanted to make a dedicated trip for it while having no clue what to do, so thought I might try it while I am in the area. I've got time to decide if I'll actually grouse hunt on this quick trip, but in the meantime I have a week coming up in SD before that, and a few short, close to home pheasant hunts in MN too!

Hunt areas where no vehicles are parked. Wear orange (law) and orange up your dog.

I have often hunted pheasants during the week of the 9 day season. Stay clear of anyplace with vehicles. Farm slug zone deer drives probably account for as many accidents as anything else.

Most deer hunters are done by 9AM out if farm country.

I have often hunted pheasants during the week of the 9 day season. Stay clear of anyplace with vehicles. Farm slug zone deer drives probably account for as many accidents as anything else.

Most deer hunters are done by 9AM out if farm country.
I've done a lot of pheasant hunting during deer season and never had any problems nor really even seen anyone. I'm just a bit more selective in where I hunt to reduce the chance of being in a place a deer hunter might also be. But I'm guessing comparing pheasant hunting during deer season in Southern MN vs. Grouse Hunting during deer season in Northern MN is like comparing apples and oranges.

A couple years back I was hunting grouse on public land in cass county during deer season (about 3pm) and some guy in all camo was walking up the logging road the other direction with some type of assult rifle - said he was after deer. While I never heard a shot, I was a little spooked and that was the last time I overlapped with deer season.

I've done a lot of pheasant hunting during deer season and never had any problems nor really even seen anyone. I'm just a bit more selective in where I hunt to reduce the chance of being in a place a deer hunter might also be. But I'm guessing comparing pheasant hunting during deer season in Southern MN vs. Grouse Hunting during deer season in Northern MN is like comparing apples and oranges.
You're right its not a valid comparison. Slug use in the southern half of the state in mostly open country is not even close to comparing what its like being in heavy timber in the northern half when everyone is using a scoped rifle. And again, the parked truck thing means nothing. That guy could be just about anywhere deer hunting.

Put yourself in the shoes of the deer hunters. They get such a limited amount of time to hunt and having someone walk around with a dog near their stand scaring away deer is not something they would prefer to have happen. Although legal, its not just the safety factor, its the ethical factor too. There's no way I'd mistake a grouse hunter and his dog for a deer, but I can't speak for all hunters. And if I saw someone walk by hunting grouse, I'd be pretty upset because the deer activity in that area is done for hours now.

Public land deer hunting. Of course a vehicle parked is a statement. In fact at many cul de sacs and trailheads .... it is multiple cars, campers, atvs and trailers. It you walk a trail where no one is parked you will probably not encounter anyone if you stay on the trail or close. Look at the satellite photos.

Ethics among deer hunters is often questionable in MN. I have only hunted private the past 18 years or so. Doubt much changed and would expect this year to be a zoo.

All that said, I do not grouse hunt during deer season.

Should also be aware that there is much more trapping in those north woods and larger conibear traps are common especially in or near water. Be aware.

Last edited:
I will defer to your judgement on the safety aspect and deer season.

RGMA's and Hunter Walking Trails do get frequent pressure but they also have the best habitat and generally better bird numbers. It is a trade off. I don't know but it is possible they will see less deer hunter traffic than other areas. This seemed true when I was up north during the youth hunt this fall.

That time in November is mid-season which means the birds diet and locations can change. They will spend much more time around & roosting in conifers for thermal protection. Will be eating more buds & catkins vs. berries & greens. In general they are moving around on the ground less, leaving less scent and living in places that make them harder to kill. This year it has happened already with the snow. I hope it changes with the warmer forecast but we will see. If you have a good pointing dog it may get you some more shot attempts vs. my flushers who work better earlier in the season and near the trails....

From my last hunt before the snow changed the game....

Reg & Grouse 10042020.jpg

Last edited:
Another safety tip besides you being in orange (obviously since it's law) but if you have a bell for your dog, I'd put it on. I don't normally use a bell but public land during deer season, I'd have my dog wear one if you have one (or pick one up). As a deer hunter, you're always listening for things so it's another safety measure. Even if your dog is wearing orange you might have some jackass shoot at the noise of an animal running through the woods but not see it. I'd hope people would know deer don't have bells on.

Also, I'd wear full orange if I was you. Just to be safe. You also may get some looks if you do encounter other hunters thinking your "out of line" for bird hunting during deer season. I wouldn't let that stop me, but just keep it in mind and avoid spots where cars are present like others have said.

Don't forget the "Covid Crowd". Extra folks out this year with the pandemic. MEANING LOTS OF NEWBIES
out running around as first time deer hunters and carrying high powered rifles and many with "Not a clue."
Have been seeing MANY extra folks in the outdoors this year. Deer Season.... watch your back! Front & sides also.

Great point. Look at the boom in turkey licenses sold. Curious to see if deer hunting numbers will be up also.

I feel there's been a "covid crowd" for Pheasant hunting this fall. Which makes me happy and sad. Sad because I am struggling to find a public land that doesn't already have people on it almost each time I go out. Happy because the sport is dying, and if we want it to be around for as long as possible we need as many hunters as possible. Every hunter in some way is supporting the sport, conservation, land acquisition, etc. through licenses, membership fees, sporting good sales tax, etc.

I forgot about all the rookies about there under the covid crowd. Its a valid point. I encountered way more people fishing and boating this season than usual, in addition to more turkey hunters this spring. I would expect that trend to continue and it may be at its peak during deer firearms season. Added in with the fact that they're using high powered rifles and this could be catastrophic.

I hope the covid crowd goes back to what they were doing before the pandemic started. The less people I encounter on the lake, in the woods, or in the field, the better.

8% is a fairly large number since the baseline is the highest of any hunting license in Minnesota.

Back