Resident opener

BigRand

Made it out for resident opener, also my birthday. Had a good time with my father and my dog. Went to an area that we have hunted a lot in my life. We weren't disappointed. Got our six roosters by noon after starting at ten. I only missed one long shot and got a good laugh at my dad as he missed a gimme after shooting three times at it. After he missed he informs me twenty minutes earlier he was thinking to himself "how can anyone miss anything with a shotgun". Turns out it's possible, even for him. In 20 plus years of hunting with him I always have to chuckle when he misses. It happens very infrequently.
20201010_123251.jpg20201010_123212.jpg

My dad was a good shot when I was a kid, and taught me a lot.However, between the age of 55 and 75, he couldn't hit a barn.Always used the same gun.I think the last 20 years he hunted, he may have shot 4 birds

Freak...howdy... where you coming from and where in SD are you headed?
I'll be leaving PA around the 17th or so... maybe Pierre or Aberdeen
Good boy I will be leaving TN on the 15th. I will be hunting near Miller, SD. Good luck to you. I'm going to do my best to be productive the next 3 days at work. Hope you have a great hunt!

Hey Brent,
Looks like you managed to score a couple...any overall impressions? Lots of hunters?

Thanks!

Hey Brent,
Looks like you managed to score a couple...any overall impressions? Lots of hunters?

Thanks!
Jon, we didn't hunt very long or hard either day because of the heat & having an otherwise pretty busy weekend. And I refuse to hunt the opening bell early in the season. I avoid the crowds, so consequently I saw very few other hunters. Even with all the heat, standing corn & tremendous wind yesterday, I'd say bird numbers in the 2 spots I hunted were "quite good".

Thanks, Brent.
Early season hunting is very hard on dogs and geezers like me. Our group now hunts in November and December - crops are down, birds bunched and less heat. Looking forward to an improved year. Concerned, however, about cleanliness of motels and the virus...guess we'll bring lots of Clorox and rags!

Have a great season.

Took yesterday off due to the wind and heat. Headed to spot I've had my eye on for two years and decided to give it a go after it looking sub par last year. Was not disappointed.
20201012_121528.jpg

Here's my doofus FBESS with a couple roosters we managed to collect Sunday. Saturday was pretty tough for me. My older dog, who has always been my best hunter told me he's done. He followed me out of the field, which has never happened before. No interest in finding or flushing birds.

So now he stays in front of the wood stove with Mom and eats treats. Monday was equal parts scouting and hunting and hitting new to me spots. Spent Monday with a new shotgun. New manual of arms. Yeah I asked for it but it would have been nice to bring home some of the roosters my dog flushed...lol.

Saw the biggest racoon of my life (bigger than my 40 pound dog) and lots of Sandhill cranes as they migrate. Saw lots of birds; happy to be out there again!

Attachments

• Tanner with birds_02.jpg
    Tanner with birds_02.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hobie, nice looking dog! How old? Ace is just not quite 18 months. Glad to hear you had some success. I was pretty pleased by the birds we saw. That's tough about the old dog. Been there. But....are you SURE he's done? I mean, first weekend, maybe not in the best shape, all the heat? Above 70 degrees is really hard on them. You obviously know your dog, but from way over here it makes me wonder if he doesn't still have some hunting left to do once it cools down.

Thanks! He's 5 this year. He's doing really good this year, staying in range, checking in, finding the birds. We're communicating now. : ) I just wish he was as amped up to hunt dead and retrieve as he is to flush but that might come with time.

Really appreciate your feedback about the older dog. I don't know to be honest. He's 8 and and just had neck surgery 2 months ago. And while his weight is good his owner slacked on the conditioning this year. I'm going to try him again this weekend as the weather is forecasted as being cooler and see how does. Good luck this season!

Back