This is BS

sbode

Posted by South Dakota game and Parks. I’ll just hunt Iowa. In addition to the adoption of the marketing plan, GFP will discontinue the annual brood count survey conducted annually in August. A major concern is that, when pheasant brood numbers are down, those reported numbers deter both residents and nonresidents from pheasant hunting. In spite of lower numbers on any given year, South Dakota still remains the best destination for pheasant hunting in the country.

I agree, I've hunted there 3 times, but only paid once.We hunted this fancy, blue blood place near Gregory one year.My dad paid. Circle something ranch.

lol. SD played their don't give a shit card. and thanks for the NR habitat stamp, that's $25 you don't need.

They don't need to do brood counts when they just ship all the birds in on trucks anyway.

Show me one piece of evidence that the state GFP stocks any pheasants. This topic comes up every year and it's totally false.

You know what, if people are not going to come to SD because they discontinued the brood count and added a $25 habitat stamp to the cost of a non-resident license, that's just fine by me. It will take some pressure off the public areas and leave more for me! :)

I have no problem paying the extra $25 if the habitat improvement provides better hunting in the future. I always looked at the roadside counts but didn't change my plans to hunt when numbers were reported as either higher or lower. It seems that I recall discussions about people not believing the numbers reported in the roadside counts anyway.

I know a truck driver, GFP may not claim them but the stocked bird population in SD is alive and well.

I have no problem paying the extra $25 if the habitat improvement provides better hunting in the future. I always looked at the roadside counts but didn't change my plans to hunt when numbers were reported as either higher or lower. It seems that I recall discussions about people not believing the numbers reported in the roadside counts anyway.

I would say that's an accurate statement in every state.

This one day at band camp this truck driver told me a story.

The preserves are the ones stocking. It's a requirement by state regulation. The GFP do not stock birds.

They don't need to do brood counts when they just ship all the birds in on trucks anyway.
THAT IS NO LONGER TRUE—
I HAVE THE TRUE FACTS —THAT THEY ARE PLANTED BY BLACK HELICOPTERS —IN THE DARK OF THE MOON ON THE 5TH OF JUNE?
MY WORTHLESS BROTHER IN-LAW HEARD IT FROM A GUY THAT HEARD IT FROM SOMEONES SECOND COUSIN-THAT WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THE PILOTS—THEY WEARING ALUMINUM FOIL HATS-

THAT IS NO LONGER TRUE—
I HAVE THE TRUE FACTS —THAT THEY ARE PLANTED BY BLACK HELICOPTERS —IN THE DARK OF THE MOON ON THE 5TH OF JUNE?
MY WORTHLESS BROTHER IN-LAW HEARD IT FROM A GUY THAT HEARD IT FROM SOMEONES SECOND COUSIN-THAT WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THE PILOTS—THEY WEARING ALUMINUM FOIL HATS-
Bud, turn caps lock off.

Disclaimer: I've never hunted SD in my 50+ years of hunting and have no pending plans to do so. Not that I have any problem with SD, it's that I have more than enough hunting opportunities here in ND so I see no reason to lay out the bucks to hunt an hour or so south of my place.

That being said:
Roadside counts are like any other survey or research project, accuracy is totally dependent on the people gathering the facts and how those facts are utilized/interpreted. I've seen far too many studies in my time where the researcher or entity has a hypothesis, then looks for facts/trends to support their theory in the data analysis. Road side counts are no different. interesting off-season grist for discussion, but in the end worth about as much as the paper they are written on. Probably more worthwhile to look at anecdotal evidence from locals on forums like this.

Anyone who hunts out of state (over the years I've done my share of big game hunting in other states & Canada), know that the state or province fleeces the non-resident out of as many dollars as they possibly can through application fees, mandatory stamps, etc. Some states, notably those in the west, have NR regulations so complex & confusing and it's so expensive to apply & actually draw that companies have sprung up that will do it for you, for a fee. I don't blame the states really, they have a commodity with value so want as much revenue generated by it as possible. The fact that this often prices the average hunter out of contention is just the way it is. SD is no different.

The bottom line is that if you want to hunt what a particular state has to offer, save up or get out the checkbook (yeah, I know, what's a checkbook?) or stay home. Doesn't do any good to bellyache about it.

I think the worst thing of cancelling the brood count is it changes everything from a conservation standpoint. How can they raise or lower daily limits unless they know how the birds are doing? How can they determine what areas of the state need more work with purchasing public land, improving public land, etc unless they know how the birds are doing? From a HUNTERS standpoint, I could care less. However from a conservation standpoint, I am highly against them cancelling the brood survey.

Back