Door knocking

As far as asking a local to go.Yes, I have done this. Most times, they dont have a license. So there's that. Secondly, they like to scout for antelope and deer, and only road hunt for pheasant. So there's that. But yeah, you can take a guy out.The guys I've taken, were not all that squared away, so there's that...
It is amazing the level one will sink to so one can weasel ones way to get something for nothing.

then
I like that, don't offer money.I th totally disagree with,"pay to play", its hurting the sport, and making it elitist, and selective. I disagree with the,family hints it", excuse. No, some farmers won't let anybody they dont know, set foot on their land. I dont hear that too often, but occasionally. In my opinion, it's a crap shoot, roll the dice. They usually dont like to bs, but some do, so it helps to have the English accent down.
How do you get on the golf course, start on the third hole? Or does the 72 ford work there too? How do you get out of the cafe? Do you tell them you left your wallet and then drive off?
They have cameras at gas stations for people who want something for nothing.

What bothers me about goose is the people that are kindest to him are same people that he is try to play as suckers to get what he wants. Not paying is fine if you can find that, playing people as suckers rubs me the wrong way. Access to pheasant hunting is something that has significant value if the one with the access wants to charge for it is no different than selling corn or livestock. They have value too. A bushel of corn is worth about $3, It can be given away or sold access to pheasant hunting is worth $100 to $200 dollars a day give or take a little depending on the circumstances. The one with the access can give it away or sell it just like corn.

a guy or two and a dog or two can hunt public land in the Dakota's or MT for a long time before they hunt the same piece of ground twice, if they are interested in that as an outcome...pay to hunt is probably better than land being farmed ditch to ditch with no habitat left...at least the pay to hunt operations have habitat...

a guy or two and a dog or two can hunt public land in the Dakota's or MT for a long time before they hunt the same piece of ground twice, if they are interested in that as an outcome...pay to hunt is probably better than land being farmed ditch to ditch with no habitat left...at least the pay to hunt operations have habitat...
You are spot on, wildlife can be anywhere they want to. If they choose to be a certain place it is because that place is the best place they know of to be. A little over a year ago the Audubon Society did a bird survey here. They identified 51 species of birds on two spots on just two sections of land. That was at that time the most birds per spot of any place that they surveyed in South Dakota. If I was farming ditch to ditch those birds would not be here.

Last edited:
You are spot on, wildlife can be anywhere they want to. If they choose to be a certain place it is because that place is the best place they know of to be. A little over a year ago the Audubon Society did a bird survey here. They identified 51 species of birds on two spots on just two sections of land. That was at that time the most birds per spot of any place that surveyed in South Dakota. If I was farming ditch to ditch those birds would not be here.
Thanks for doing what you are!!!!

I know some will relate stories to the contrary, and good for them developing a long term relationship, but I can’t think of any job I’d let someone do that just drove in the yard. I’ve never heard of any situation with my neighbors where that was the case either.

Be polite and to the point. Don’t go on about how nice the place looks or how much rain we must have had. Don’t ask how the crops are yielding, how the prices are or god forbid how much I farm.

Just state your name and ask if there is anywhere you can hunt. If I say I‘m saving it for when my son comes next weekend say you understand and go ahead and ask if I could point you towards any neighbors.

If I say yes ask me if I want to go along or make sure you know the boundaries. When you’re done stop and thank me. Offer a bird if you got one but don’t push it. It makes me think you are trying to circumvent the daily limits.

Don’t let your dog out.
I drive a real old farm truck, dont state my name, and always offer a steak.

I did knock on a lot of doors recently. Got on one really good place.People didn't seem to be to concerned about covid, out on the farm. One of the farms I used to hunt, was bought by some rich, blue blood type from out of state.That was a huge bummer. Its all closed off now.Actually, it was block management 10 years ago.I limited out there several times.

I got on as good place the other day, but as all I had in the camper for parlay was 2 elk steaks, and some spaghetti. I had 6 cans of Coors, a box of 3 inch lead 2a, a 5th of bacardi, and my a5.I gave him a few beers, and I think he will let me on in November.

I actually offered a farmer 20 bucks yesterday, and he let me hunt, as and was happy about it.I got 2 birds, and lost one.It was a great place.I had the ford, and that as always helps.

This is a great topic, and one that everyone can learn from.
First a caveat- I do hunt in an area where a lot of people know my family and that does open some doors. Not always. But I have amassed a lot of great pheasant cover over the last several years and made some good friends doing so. But here are some of my personal rules and techniques.

- I try and hide my damn license plate when I pull in. Not to be shady- I have to live in the metro of Des Moines for work, and I sense as soon as they see that county plate there is already a strike against me. I never lie about where I'm from, but always mention where I grew up and how so they know I can close gates, etc. Eventually the "where you from" question pops up and I try and start an image before it does.

- I NEVER, EVER, EEEVVVER pull a man off a tractor.

- I prefer to talk in person so I can be measured up properly, but if phone is required I never call after 8pm or during a meal hour. Like me, they don't answer unrecognized numbers anyhow.

- If not hunting that day, I always ask if they'd like a call at that time or if I can go out any time. 50/50 response interestingly.

- Always confirm boundaries and any other rules they may have.

- Dog sits in the front seat nicely and illustrates I do take things seriously.

- Try and keep a treat in my pocket for the farm dog.

-Never make a sexist assumption that the male is the owner. A couple places I hunt are owned by the wife and she makes all the calls on it.

- When I get turned down its usually because they/family hunt it. I ask how they've done and compare notes. After chatting awhile I have had people say I could hunt after the holidays or similar.

- When turned down with a softer 'no', I'll mention I may ask again in the future, and have always been invited to do so.

- I print a business card with my contact info on it, as they should know how to reach me since I can reach them. Need to add my vehicle info to it.

- About once a week I listen to the WHO Radio farm show, just to have a sense whats going on out there. I never pretend to understand agriculture but it does help to keep a conversation going with "I was reading somewhere..." I do care about whats going on out there.

- I don't offer money as 1- I can't afford to, 2- Most farmers could buy/sell me with the amounts of money it takes to farm now, and 3- I don't want to set forth an idea of pay to play and have IA turn into SD.

- I am also a beekeeper, and the following summer I drop off a jar of honey as a thank you and then ask about the following year. Its a good conversation starter and seems really appreciated, as well as makes me memorable.

These are the ones that come to the top of my head. I've gotten to where I enjoy the challenge of getting/keeping acreage to hunt nearly as much as I do the hunting itself. And the people in the country are largely great people.
I'm not sure they like," I may ask again". That might piss them off.

Always a challenge to gain access to private ground.

When I was a kid (I'm 49 now), my dad would drag me with him up to the front porch thinking a kid would tip the odds a little. He also believed in the "hide your big city license plate" theory.

Memorable story: 7-8 years ago I was coveting a quarter of CRP across from someone else's land where we had permission. My plat map showed a name that I could not connect with a phone number. One year a posted sign showed up with a phone number. That's pretty rare in Kansas. Our day was full, but I wrote the number down for the future. Later in the year I called and was able to get permission for a particular day from "Joe". When approaching the end of the field a truck stopped to wait for us. With confidence, I walked to window of the truck and said "Hi, I'm Matt, are you Joe?" It wasn't. "Martin" was mad and wanted to know why we were hunting his ground without permission. I apologized profusely, pointed at the clearly visible sign with the phone number, and told him that Joe had given me permission. He calmed down a little but we still moved on from that field. There was no boundary confusion. Turns out Joe was watching the land for an out-of-state owner who had sold it to Martin without telling Joe. Joe was no longer authorized to give permission, but he didn't know it. Martin let me hunt the next year. Then the CRP contract expired and now it's a wheat field...

Back to the general topic, I ALWAYS send a handwritten thank you note early in the following week. I have no idea if it makes a difference. I don't want to "wear out my welcome", so I usually only ask a landowner for one day per year. I also want to be remembered when I call next year.
I gave a farmer a 6 pack last week.pbr. I gave a box of shells to another farmer.I gave an old scraper. 20 bucks..They like that.

How do you get on the golf course, start on the third hole? Or does the 72 ford work there too? How do you get out of the cafe? Do you tell them you left your wallet and then drive off?
They have cameras at gas stations for people who want something for nothing.
You are missing the point.Im not going to agree that pay hunting is a good thing.

You are missing the point.Im not going to agree that pay hunting is a good thing.
Like many things it depends on your perspective.

Got the money ? Pay hunting keeps the competition down. No money to spare ? Pay hunting shuts you out. Landowner ? Its yours to do as you please.

Maybe if I charge to hunt I should be licensed, fee goes to public land buying fund.

Back