New Town New Vet

BritChaser

I'm moving (having retired) next week. Got a vaccination record from my existing vet and dropped it by the new (and only) vet in the small town I'm moving to, Belleville, Kansas. The new vet and his office seem excellent. People speak well of him too. My dog was invited in for a weighing. The mild diet I put her on is working. She looks great with a trim waist and a nice line angling down from her waist to her chest. Ready for the opener! All good.

Last edited:
I'm moving (having retired) next week. Got a vaccination record from my existing vet and dropped it by the new (and only) vet in the small town I'm moving to, Belleville, Kansas. The new vet and his office seem excellent. People speak well of him too. My dog was invited in for a weighing. The mild diet I put her on is working. She looks great with a trim waist and a nice line angling down from her waist to her chest. Ready for the opener! All good.

I hope you settle in and find a few great companions for this time in your life. Thirty-some years ago, I moved from Chicago to rural Wisconsin, about three miles outside a town of 800. There have been ups and downs, but for a number of years there was a group of eight to ten folks, who got together for dinner sometimes, who were absolutely great people; different from each and me, but filled with points of view and insights, remarkable and mundane accomplishments in their lives, and providing a texture and affection for each that was memorable. Things in various lives changed, divorces, deaths, and one marraige and, without drama the group disbanded and each went their separate way.

I hope you find an analogous batch of folks, and that your life in the new place is rewarding and brings you a new sense of being "home."

I hope you settle in and find a few great companions for this time in your life. Thirty-some years ago, I moved from Chicago to rural Wisconsin, about three miles outside a town of 800. There have been ups and downs, but for a number of years there was a group of eight to ten folks, who got together for dinner sometimes, who were absolutely great people; different from each and me, but filled with points of view and insights, remarkable and mundane accomplishments in their lives, and providing a texture and affection for each that was memorable. Things in various lives changed, divorces, deaths, and one marraige and, without drama the group disbanded and each went their separate way.

I hope you find an analogous batch of folks, and that your life in the new place is rewarding and brings you a new sense of being "home."

Thank you for the good wishes. I'll be in the county my mother's family is from where I have shirttail cousins and a first cousin my age who I am close to. I'll be giving him a hand sometimes with his farming and cattle, and we get together for drinks and dinner. He lives about three miles from the farm where my mother was born. Not sure I would be moving there were he not there. Rural areas of ag states like KS and WI have changed in the last 30 years and I would not say it has been for the better. For one thing the rural population has shrunk even further, leaving behind a smaller cross-section of people. Given my age, I rather doubt that I can replicate the experience you had starting back then. That's just the way it is and I am OK with it. My cousin and I are going to enjoy each other's company and Jen the Brittany is all for it.
Congratulations on your retirement! Now you can really get some hunting in!

Thank you!

I've been to the vet in Belleville, and Concordia, and Russell, and Red Cloud, NE, and...

Congratulations on your retirement.

I've been to the vet in Belleville, and Concordia, and Russell, and Red Cloud, NE, and...

Congratulations on your retirement.

Thank you!

Glad to hear of your good luck on finding a new vet.; I was shocked upon moving to our new home in Orofino, Idaho that neither of the two vet. clinics are accepting new clients. In fact one acted with a bit of a smart ass attitude when I expressed my frustration. Several vet clinics in Lewiston, Idaho have adopted a similar policy in accepting new clients from Orofino. A local woman told a sad story of her family dog's death because neither Orofino vet.'s office would provide care.

I've lived in four other states in my lifetime and this kind of attitude/policy from a vet. clinic is a first.

Glad to hear of your good luck on finding a new vet.; I was shocked upon moving to our new home in Orofino, Idaho that neither of the two vet. clinics are accepting new clients. In fact one acted with a bit of a smart ass attitude when I expressed my frustration. Several vet clinics in Lewiston, Idaho have adopted a similar policy in accepting new clients from Orofino. A local woman told a sad story of her family dog's death because neither Orofino vet.'s office would provide care.

I've lived in four other states in my lifetime and this kind of attitude/policy from a vet. clinic is a first.

This is shocking. Plus the attitude! I hope you find a vet. What I have here is the opposite.

Last edited:
Congrats on retiring. I 'm working on it, this virus thing has slowed me down and to fall back on something "normal" I went back to work. I will say not setting an alarm clock and watching the weather as to what days to spend outside rather than what days you afford to not work is real nice.

Congrats on retiring. I 'm working on it, this virus thing has slowed me down and to fall back on something "normal" I went back to work. I will say not setting an alarm clock and watching the weather as to what days to spend outside rather than what days you afford to not work is real nice.

Thank you!

Congrats on making retirement! I retired from nearly 40 years in LE in 2017, and within a couple weeks hired on with one of the largest private security companies in the world. Less than a year later I was promoted and sent out to western ND to manage our team at a refinery. That meant not only moving from the NE part of the state (world class waterfowling) to the SE part (world class upland), but also finding a new vet.

I hate trying to find a new vet that fits my pistol, it'sa right up there with buying/selling a house. There were a surprising number in the area but they are wide spread and vary greatly in capabilities and cost. The vet we settled on is an hour drive away and doesn't have nearly the capabilities of our old vet, but the bigger & closer vets in town are insanely expensive. We tried one of them when we first got here but after a simple & relatively inexpensive deal with one of my wife's rescue cats (broken tooth needed to be pulled, $200) that turned into a massively expensive "up sale" treatment. After I specifically told them no in writing, they contacted my wife at work and convinced her the cat had to have a $400 tooth cleaning on top of the extraction. Nothing I could do as her verbal consent when the cat was on the table apparently negated my written & verbal instructions when I delivered the cat to them, so we had to pay the $600(!) bill. I then told them to take a hike. At our old vet, pulling a tooth from a dog or cat was $40-$100 depending on the situation...

Last edited:
I'm lucky that the only vet in town seems excellent. Had to try him out this week. My dog has had regurgitation of food and I took her in for that. Vet was very thorough about everything. Talked to me for about 20 minutes total; did the labs on a stool sample; examined the dog and found a health problem; and provided a ten-day course of two medications. $140.00. Might have been close to twice that at my old vet in the city.

I hunted SW ND once. Wow!

Back