Safety etiquette question

Not to distract from the safety aspect of this thread, but yes, this. Thanks to several of you for pointing it out!
In addition to the feel of the safety....not all trigger guards are created equal. For example, I cannot fit my cold-COLD-weather gloves in my Model 12 trigger. If you get new gloves or, even funner yet, a new shotgun....check this BEFORE you head out.

And not just the gloves, but maybe you have on a different/bulkier coat or vest, or lanyard with your dog remote, etc. Anything that could possibly affect or interfere with the mounting of your gun, getting caught/hung up while bringing it to your shoulder. A heavier coat that makes you move slower, or its 60 degrees and no coat allowing you to shoulder a gun faster. Just run through your mechanics and visualize everything before you start walking the field. Call it a warm up, no different than an athlete taking practice reps in warm ups before a game.

My dad grilled me on safety when I was learning, so I'm very safety conscious. I used to hunt with th h iui s guy who swung his gun around, and pointed at me many times. My dad would have chewed his butt so hard for that!!

Back