pheasant on the grill

Bob Peters

I'm looking for any good pheasant recipes for the grill. I have a good number of game farm birds in the freezer from 6 months ago. Thanks in advance.

My favorite is wrapping in bacon and cooking on the grill. Simple and fast but very good. For something even simpler marinade in Italian dressing and grill. Just don’t over cook them. These would both be done using the breasts.

make poppers...pound and tenderize the breasts, cut into strips the size of 2 credit cards in length, but about the width of a credit card...put sliced jalapeño and cream cheese inside, then bacon wrap...or put water chestnuts and pineapple inside, and bacon wrap...or a piece of pepperoni and a slice of red pepper and bacon wrap...google popper recipes...you'll find more, I'm sure. overall, grilling pheasant isn't my preferred way...it tends to dry it out, and it's already a dry meat...that's why crock pots and soup are used so often with pheasant...it's very lean and dry..

Last edited:
I recommend JL Kraft's Marinade in a Bag.
It is available from a number of grocery stores including Walmart.

I split the bird in two halves along the back bone and breast. Marinade in the refrigerator for several hours and grill.

It is never dry but moist and tender.

I know this is not a grillable, but never the less, one of my favorites. Pheasant Cordon Bleu: Filet the breast off the bone and butterfly the meat open and flat. Season with basil, pepper and a touch of garlic. add one thin piece of Muenster cheese and Black Forest Ham. Roll it up like a Swiss roll. Put them in a casserole dish and re season the exposed meat. Add another layer of Munster cheese . Add a layer of Italian bread crumbs. Add a bit of water in the bottom of the dish. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes (longer if this is a large batch). Goes great with Wild Rice. Prep time about 15 minutes.

I've done a few Beer Can/Beer Butt Pheasants on the grill this summer and all have turned out great! Linked below.
https://honest-food.net/barbecued-pheasant-on-the-grill/

Look through some other recipes on Hank Shaw's Hunt Angler Gardener Cook website and really just substitute any type of meat for the pheasant. I do a lot of whole birds in the crockpot with some seasoning, olive oil, bit of water, low for 5-6 hours, then shred the meat and use for a wide variety of things. Shredded pheasant sandwiches, meat on pizza, loaded baked potato, meat in lasagna, salads, literally a never ending list of anything else that you would use a meat in.

Bacon-wrapped bites is by far my favorite method. Its a bit of work, but well worth it.

1/4" thick strips of breast on top of 1/2 piece of bacon, roll up and pin with a toothpick. Grill/smoke low heat for a while, then mop with BBQ sauce and caramelize on high heat.

Another reason I like this is that its easy to spot pellets in the thin cuts - steel shot is not kind to teeth.

Pro tip: If you can find jalepeno bacon, it takes this to the next level.

Pheasant nuggets choose your favorite fish batter and deep fry toss or dip your favorite sauce.

Back