Boss shotshells?

Anybody try them?

I've got a couple different boxes to try out, going to pattern them this weekend. I'll primarily use them for waterfowl, but cant hurt to keep some lead out of the areas I hunt either

I've got some #4's and #2's ordered for waterfowl.

Hoping my wife buys me the upland gun she owes me before season lol.

Looking at a new A5 sweet 16, or an older A5 kight 20.

Would love a Caesar Guerini, but I'm not in that tax bracket unfortunately

I would not necessarily recommend the #6 for pheasant. That was all they had available when my friends stopped at the factory.

I had been using Hevishot bismuth in my 16 gauge most of last season. Both #6 and #4 performed well.

I also used #5 Kent bismuth in 12 gauge.

All seem to work better than steel as a nontoxic shot for pheasants.

I was looking at getting some for pheasant hunting but wasn't sure which size to use with my 12 gauge. I was thinking 5, but I have no experience with non-toxic shot other than steel. You'll have to let us know how they do!

I was looking at getting some for pheasant hunting but wasn't sure which size to use with my 12 gauge. I was thinking 5, but I have no experience with non-toxic shot other than steel. You'll have to let us know how they do!

I think that size #5 bismuth is the right size for pheasant.

In my 12 gauge, that is the size that I use.

In 16 gauge, I use #6 bismuth in my right barrel and #4 in my left. I use those sizes because that is what was commercially available. Again, the average is #5.

Density of:
Steel --- 7.9 g/c
Bismuth --- 9.6 g/c
Lead --- 11.4 g/c
Lead #6 will perform like bismuth #5.
Lead #5 will perform like bismuth #4.
So choose accordingly.

I think that size #5 bismuth is the right size for pheasant.

In my 12 gauge, that is the size that I use.

In 16 gauge, I use #6 bismuth in my right barrel and #4 in my left. I use those sizes because that is what was commercially available. Again, the average is #5.
Density of:
Steel --- 7.9 g/c
Bismuth --- 9.6 g/c
Lead --- 11.4 g/c
So choose accordingly.

Thank you both, this is very helpful!

Density of:
Steel --- 7.9 g/c
Bismuth --- 9.6 g/c
Lead --- 11.4 g/c
So choose accordingly.
What is the density of Hevi-Shot just curious?

Original heavy shot 12 g/c
There is also ITX 10 g/c
ITX 13 g/c
HW 15 g/c
TSS 18 g/c

Last edited:
I'm a titewad. sticking Don't think I'll shoot enough to hurt a barrel. I rotate thru several guns also. Also there are some areas I hunt where lead is kegal. No problamo !!

Worked for my 9 year old using his .410 on this 10" Tom. Of course, at 7 yards, I think a stout load of uncooked oatmeal would have worked as well.

oM44M5Q.jpeg

Like the concept of BOSS, not a fan of their 'wokeness' and virtue signaling on their Facebook page after the George Floyd fiasco.

Kudos! to that young man, he still had to hit the turkey at 7 yards.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1450 fps Bismuth#5 shot at 1450 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 44.2 yards.
1450 fps Bismuth#4 shot at 1450 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 54.3 yards.
1450 fps Bismuth#3 shot at 1450 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 64.8 yards.
1450 fps steel#2 shot at 1450 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 46.2 yards.

1450 fps Bismuth#3 shot at 1450 fps gets 2.20" of gel penetration at 40.6 yards.

Pellet counts
1-3/8 oz of Bismuth #5 shot has 270 pellets per shell.
1-3/8 oz of Bismuth #4 shot has 212 pellets per shell.
1-3/8 oz of Bismuth #3 shot has 170 pellets per shell.
1-1/4 oz of steel #2 shot has 154 pellets per shell.

I stole this from Derbyacresbob I don't think he on this forum.

Back