Dog Collars

Herkster

I saw the post below about dog collar options, but it appeared most of the comments were 4 years old. I've got a new wirehair coming to the family, and am just beginning to research collars. I'm leaning towards the Garmin 100 Track and Train system, but I'm curious, it almost looks like I'd be able to use a boundary around my acreage that we live at even? Can anyone confirm that? I'm on just under 7 total acres and while I'll try to be with the dog as much as possible, I'd like her to be able to roam quite a bit as well. However, with the fields near by, deer running everywhere, etc., it'd be nice to have a boundary set up.

Any input?

Are you talking about the Alpha 100? If so, I'm not aware of a function to set up a boundary. But then I'm not familiar with many other functions on my Alpha. When you are referring to setting up a boundary around your property are you thinking of something similar to a wireless fence?

Yeah, the Alpha 100. Just was reading the description on Cabelas, and it said you could set boundaries on the maps. It wouldn't automatically give the dog a correction when he got close, but I think it'd notify the controller so you could give them a correction. I'll have to see if I can find it back.

I have the Alpha 100 but haven't used the boundary feature. You would also have to carry the handheld around all the time just to find out when the dog leaves the boundary. You may be better off using something like the Fi collar. I use it on my GSP when at home along with an efence just for peace of mind. If the dog ever leaves the yard I get a text immediately. You can setup multiple boundaries at different locations as well.

I have the Alpha 100 but haven't used the boundary feature. You would also have to carry the handheld around all the time just to find out when the dog leaves the boundary. You may be better off using something like the Fi collar. I use it on my GSP when at home along with an efence just for peace of mind. If the dog ever leaves the yard I get a text immediately. You can setup multiple boundaries at different locations as well.

How do you set up your yard with the Fi collar? Reading through the website, and it looks awesome, but it doesn't really tell me about boundaries and how they are set? Pup will have 6 acres to roam on a daily basis...

How do you set up your yard with the Fi collar? Reading through the website, and it looks awesome, but it doesn't really tell me about boundaries and how they are set? Pup will have 6 acres to roam on a daily basis...

You resize a large circle around the area the dog is allowed to roam. If it leaves the circle you can get a notification via the app or a text message. Today I took my dog to run an errand and my wife got notified that my dog left the house with me. Handy feature.

Back