What hunts are you planning for the upcoming season

Zeb,

Whenever I see guys hunting Chukars I cringe! Lots of uphill and sidehill walking for those crazy birds. You better not wait to long, I don't think that is a old man's sport. Bets of luck this fall.

Not sure I'm going to make it to Idaho or not. Also not 100% sure about the Chukars although the guy I'm going with says he has some areas to hunt that aren't too tough. I think it's either get there this year or forget it at my age.

Not sure I'm going to make it to Idaho or not. Also not 100% sure about the Chukars although the guy I'm going with says he has some areas to hunt that aren't too tough. I think it's either get there this year or forget it at my age.

I know those guys from the mountains. They say it "isn't to tough," or "it's fairly flat," ... I am a flat-lander that is, shall we say, portly! Any climbing in altitude really gets my heart pumping. My last hunt in altitude was an elk hunt where the horses pretty much carried me where I needed to go!

Good luck if you go. I would love to hear about it after your trip.

First is dove on September 1st. Then hunt the NE opener which is three weeks earlier than KS. Then the KS opener with four friends: one from Houston, his brother from Salt Lake City, a friend from Denver, and my regular huntin' buddy, a local of the happy hunting grounds in NW. Always hunt Thanksgiving weekend for sure. Probably hunt three of four more times after that. It all happens at the happy hunting grounds in western Kansas where the cover should be excellent this season.

Last edited:
August 29th (about) will head to MT for Sharptail opener Sept. 1st. Plan on spending a month (or more) in MT,
Return home in October for Ruffed Grouse prime time. Usual 2 or 3 trips to SoDak for Phez. hopefully.

August 29th (about) will head to MT for Sharptail opener Sept. 1st. Plan on spending a month (or more) in MT,
Return home in October for Ruffed Grouse prime time. Usual 2 or 3 trips to SoDak for Phez. hopefully.
Fourtrax, wow! You must be retired and living the dream. I am envious. What part of Montana do you hunt? I have some stuff on the Eastern side but by the time I get out to hunt pheasants the sharptails are pretty wild.

Last year I hunted about 45 days between MT, ND, SD...timeframe wise, in that order....I hope to hunt that much or more this fall, but would hope to spend more time in MT and ND...the blizzard of 10/7/19 in ND negated what would have been an awesome hunt in ND!!! A few buddies of mine were there, and had an epic hunt...waterfowl, huns, sharps, and pheasants....the geese were specks...cool birds!

Mainly, grouse and woodcock in Michigan both guiding and pleasure. Then a combined waterfowl/pheasant hunt in SD and possibly a late season trip to Nebraska.

Benelli, I also Drew South Dakota waterfowl. I usually find two or three hot spots, gives me something to do before 10 am.

Will hunt home state of MN, 2 trips to SD and weekend trips to Iowa. Possibly looking to add a late January trip to Kansas for 5-7 days??

Heading to NWIowa for the pheasant opener on Oct 31st. Then up to ND for a few days of goose and ducks. Back down to NE Iowa for 4 days of trout fly-fishing and then over to NW Iowa for a few more days of pheasants and then home. Best 2 weeks of the year!

Heading to Nebraska over Labor Day for sharpies, then SD end of Sept for more sharpies, A lot of MN day and weekend trips for pheasants, SD pheasants mid November. This working from home thing will be great for my hunting, I can work anywhere I have an internet connection.

North Dakota for two weeks for sharpies, pheasants, and hopefully a hun or two. SD for a week in November, several trips to wisconsin for grouse, dove, deer, and waterfowl and probably several weekend trips here and there in MN for pheasants.

At least one trip first week in November to SD. Might make another run in December. Weekly trips to Iroquois county IL as well. Duck hunting over in Sandusky Bay, OH.

Nebraska towards the end of Sept for a field trial and some sharptails, than Iowa for a few days after opening weekend and than as many trips to Kansas and Nebraska as i can get.

Hoping to take my boy to Iowa over Christmas break for some pheasant and quail!!
Just hoping things don't shut down this winter..

Back