Headed to Kansas

Hulions

Ok guys. It has been a a dream of mine since I was a kid to hunt Pheasants and quail. I am currently making plans to make the trip from Florida to Kansas to hunt public land WIHA and WA areas with my lab. I don't want to hunt with an outfitter. I understand that its a possibility I may not shoot great numbers of birds so I am going more for the experience and road trip with my lab and wife. Any information that you guys can give me about where to start and areas to hunt will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mannie 2.jpg

Larger walk-in parcels in rougher ground are usually pasture and may not have bird habitat. In the last couple of years quail numbers are up while pheasants are a steady average. A good combination is a field of corn or milo stalks or wheat stubble bordered by CRP grass; hunt the grass near the edge and draws, especially those with kochia patches. Stripper cut wheat stubble has been reported as having some good hunting too. For pheasants, hunting quiet is essential.

You're welcome. Any questions, feel free to message me.

They can be really good, depending on where you go. Some of them get even more pressure than WIHA though. I’ve had some darn good shoots on state wildlife areas.

what part of Florida are you traveling from? I have a good group down here that will be taking a few trip also. Let me know. thx.

Kent

Hopefully this will change by hunting season but non-residents will need to keep an eye out for the updates every two weeks.

Those who have traveled to the following locations need to quarantine for 14 days after arrival in Kansas. This applies to both Kansas residents and those visiting Kansas:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
  • Cruise ship or river cruise passengers
  • International travelers

Kimmel found the python in a canal to the south in the Alligator Valley. The python hunter, who signed a python contract with the South Florida Water Management Department, said he caught the python in the Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area earlier this week.

Hopefully this will change by hunting season but non-residents will need to keep an eye out for the updates every two weeks.

Those who have traveled to the following locations need to quarantine for 14 days after arrival in Kansas. This applies to both Kansas residents and those visiting Kansas:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • South Carolina

I’ll leave the politics out of it, as it is not, in reality, a political issue. But the covid situation is bound to change by November. May well be through the worst of it by then, may well be in another wave or another pandemic entirely, but one near certainty is that the quarantine list for interstate travel is not likely to be the same in November as it is now, so it’s probably not worth worrying about until closer to the fall. Never hurts to have a back up plan though. Even in what used to be normal times, Kansas is a crapshoot for bird hunting. The closest you can get to a guaranteed good pheasant trip is South Dakota or a game farm. Best you can do for bobwhite quail is private land in Texas. Second best bird hunting is Kansas or North Dakota depending on weather and luck, but it’s a steep drop off. I wouldn’t drive from Florida to Kansas to hunt birds without a time machine. But if you want to drive from Florida to Kansas to see if you are lucky, that’s certainly worth it.

Then there’s the other places, all of which have their charms, but none of which has much in the way of birds. The drop of from Kansas or NoDak to Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma or Minnesota isn’t like the the drop off from S. Dakota to Kansas, but it’s palpable.

Last edited:
I’ll be there this season as usual unless covid gets in the way. I worry it may indeed be a game changer. once cooler weather and flu season kicks off- it’ll be interesting to see how this impacts covid....

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • South Carolina

good luck trying to enforce this......truck drivers especially will blow through this, lol.

Some Kansas residents will have no problem spotting and turning in nonresidents staying at motels and eating at small cafes. Maybe the chance of being caught is small if not irrelevant ... unless it just turns out to be "you".

Truck drivers maybe exempt because of an essential status ... Truck drivers are going in and out of Canada on a regular basis and the border is closed to all fisherman at this time.

Last edited:
Some Kansas residents will have no problem spotting and turning in nonresidents staying at motels and eating at small cafes.

lol. the local businesses would love that, as they put up the for sale signs.

It's possible the governor may take the same approach to the fall hunting seasons that she did to spring turkey. Her initial stance was that non-resident turkey hunters needed to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arriving in Kansas. Obviously that was a joke. Once she figured that out they just stopped selling non-resident turkey tags.

IMO it's unlikely that they would stop the sale of non-resident hunting licenses and tags overall, but they might stop the sale of non-resident licenses and tags to people coming from whatever's on that day's hot zone list.

I have a trip planned for Nebraska the week before Kansas season opens. After typing this I'm wondering if Nebraska might do something similar. Maybe I should renew my license now.

It's possible the governor may take the same approach to the fall hunting seasons that she did to spring turkey. Her initial stance was that non-resident turkey hunters needed to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arriving in Kansas. Obviously that was a joke. Once she figured that out they just stopped selling non-resident turkey tags.

IMO it's unlikely that they would stop the sale of non-resident hunting licenses and tags overall, but they might stop the sale of non-resident licenses and tags to people coming from whatever's on that day's hot zone list.

I have a trip planned for Nebraska the week before Kansas season opens. After typing this I'm wondering if Nebraska might do something similar. Maybe I should renew my license now.

That's a good idea. May go ahead and purchase my license now to make sure that doesn't happen. We have already booked our place to stay. I am sure hoping that this will not be an issue but who knows.

I hope you out of state guys get to hunt. Most worrisome to me is that the Central/Western KS corn crop is burning up with little relief in sight. Chicks need bugs and bugs need rain.

Back