Canadian Thistles

remy3424

Is anyone else having a huge spike in Canadian thistles this season? I have been using Milestone for several years, it seems to kill them, although some pactches seem to come back but others patches not. Maybe I am am missing a few in the patches that come back or maybe it is the timing of the spraying...roots maybe aren't dieing and shooting up more???? Anyone else see this? How is Grazon working for you that use that? I have been hand spraying individual plants in CRP, I have more than I can get to this season and now they are flowered-out.. Furstrating.

I've never known a Canada thistle that could survive a dose of milestone.. If you're spot spraying, then I think you are missing patches. Milestone carries about an 18 month residual coverage. It's very effective.

Maybe we need to get permission to get a boom sprayer in and do some patches, that coverage would get the residual coverage.....those are in an area that was seeded with native grasses and flowers, they get excited about killing the flowers they provided cost share to plant. I am thinking that the root system is constantly shooting up new plants, spot spraying the existing plants provides no residual assitance to these new shoots. Just looked at patches I sprayed earlier in the season and there are new plants there...the battle continues!

Whats
Is anyone else having a huge spike in Canadian thistles this season? I have been using Milestone for several years, it seems to kill them, although some pactches seem to come back but others patches not. Maybe I am am missing a few in the patches that come back or maybe it is the timing of the spraying...roots maybe aren't dieing and shooting up more???? Anyone else see this? How is Grazon working for you that use that? I have been hand spraying individual plants in CRP, I have more than I can get to this season and now they are flowered-out.. Furstrating.

What rate are you spraying? I always used 7oz/acre. Had good results. Plus we were using a 4720 JD sprayer with a 80' boom.

Spot spraying, handsprayer 5ml/gal. Have covered most of it now, at least once. Have a corner with several large patch, might have to hire a sprayer for thoses, I am out of time, many are in full bloom now. Going back to patches sprayed a monthy ago, there are a few new ones popping up, not sure if they are from the root systems or seed.

Canada Thistle seed can remain viable for up to 20 years in the soil and new shoots can form anywhere along a established root system.

Back