Plantar Fasciitis

I had it so bad several years ago (at times in both feet) that when I got out of bed I could not even walk ... fairly painful and then it would stretch out and good to go - took a few to five minutes.

identified which shoes were culprit and threw them out and/or purchased raised heel insoles.

a few stretching exercises and lost some weight !

time - last about a year and it went away.

next was a torn achilles tendon and that pain was much worse. It really hurt after grouse or pheasant hunting. I purchased a compression brace. Elevation, ice and again time. This one last about 18 months in part because I would stop treatment and pro-actively wearing the brace. Lost a few more pounds too... stop carrying my golf bag and went with a push cart.

before the planters fasc - I also had a torn or injured rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I could lift my shotgun to shoulder and steady to shoot, but it hurt during other activities - especially if my arm went above the shoulder. Sauna stretches and then ice, plus time ... fully recovered.

I would avoid surgery unless you just cannot make it any longer... in most cases these tendon injuries can be cured by other means. Stretching, ice, rest, losing weight and reducing other triggers have seemed to work well for me.

As a medial professional, you did say you were a DC right, you feel ice, rest, massage, supportive footwear etc are only "ok" recommendations to help treat planter fasciitis? I guess the Podiatrists in my area have it all wrong then.

What makes superfeet a fair product? The fact that they are a fraction of the price of custom orthotics?

By cutting corners you're referring to...anything that isn't custom molded? Why then are the foot MD's prescribing these non-custom over the counter inserts, when they could be zinging their patients hundreds for dollars for procedures and custom orthotics?

But, you're the Chiropractor with years of experience. What does a running store employee know about shoes and inserts and matching them to feet...

Z did not mean to offend , just stating the facts. I am sure you are a very knowledgeable Running Store Employee .
Here is a tip , try not to have a anchored mind and look at the body as a whole when seeking solution to a condition.
Now can we talk about reducing snow and ice pack of our hunting dog's feet ?
Any tips ?

Peter,

Yeah, I went off a little (ok, a lot). It's way to easy to go overboard when hiding behind a keyboard. (Probably the reason why I rarely post on any of the forms that I stalk) I definitely agree a wide angle approach is ultimately better than a narrow scope, but I was so off struck that the staples for treatment were only "ok," but after rereading your post I understand what you were getting at.
My bad.

As far as your dogs feet...I've never had issues with any of my Labs. Their fur is basically weather proof, natural GOREtex??? hahaha. I do run (obviously, running store employee, ahaha) her on a daily basis, and the hair on her feet between the toes gets rubbed pretty close to the pads. I would think this would prevent build up of snow and ice because there is less material for the snow/ice to adhere to?

Z no worries , your recommendations were not out of line. In fact always best to take a conservative approach first.
Great to hear your Labs do not have issues. On occasion my Springers had issues if conditions were just rite ( bitter cold powder snow low humidity ).
Pam cooking spray on the pads would help prevent the snow pack which led to ice pack.
Now back to PF.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. As Peter M. had advised back on the first page, I went I finally got in to see a chiropractor for an x-ray and diagnosis.

I definitely have a heel spur. I see him again next Saturday morning and will discuss Foot Leveler orthotics

John FL have a unique correction built into there orthotics for heel spurs. Be sure this is part of the orthotic design. Did your Doctor x-ray the other foot ? I would to cover all the bases. You will soon be on your way to recovery.
Good Luck

I had it really bad for over a year. Always thought I had flat feet, turns out I have high arches. I found inserts with a higher arch almost made the problem vanish in as little as a week. I'm not 100% painless, but I am considerably better than I was

I had the same symptoms, could barely walk at times, I had my foot x-rayed and it showed a heal spur as plain as day. I found something on the internet that showed how to run a piece of athletic tape around your heal, and then a couple of wraps around our foot at the instep. I tried it and it was INSTANT relief, I wore them taped up for a good week, changing the tape every day after I showered and never had another problem. Working in manufacturing plant and being on your feet all day on concrete will do it, the doctor said. My sister had the same problem and I taped her up and she was totally amazed when she took her first step.

In my younger days I used to run a lot and developed pf in both feet. Tried everything and eventually had a sports physician prescribe Birkenstock blue footbeds. It was heaven from the moment I tried them on. I had to stop running for a while but when I started back I continued with the insoles and never had a repeat of the issue.

I had the same symptoms, could barely walk at times, I had my foot x-rayed and it showed a heal spur as plain as day. I found something on the internet that showed how to run a piece of athletic tape around your heal, and then a couple of wraps around our foot at the instep. I tried it and it was INSTANT relief, I wore them taped up for a good week, changing the tape every day after I showered and never had another problem. Working in manufacturing plant and being on your feet all day on concrete will do it, the doctor said. My sister had the same problem and I taped her up and she was totally amazed when she took her first step.

I tried the tape today for the first time. I am amazed at the relief it provides. Thank you.

Go see a podiatrist there could be many reasons for your discomfort. They are trained to diagnose and treat all conditions of the foot and ankle. Also they can prescribe Meds and do surgery if necessary.

I started this thread about 2.5 years ago.

I ended up getting a referral to see a podiatrist. Treatment involved a couple of cortizone injections into my heels and a special orthopedic insert in my shoes and boots.

I am essentially pain free at this time and have been for quite a while.

Super. It sounds like many of us have had this over their years. My heels had hurt terribly, used heal pads, no relief, saw the doctor finally after they both started hurting, had a couple PT visits and used some high arch supports from a running shoe store for a short amount of time. What I think cured me was wearing shoes around the house. I also switches the insole of my hunting boots and another pair of outdoor shoes with some Dr Scholl's insoles for plantar fasciitis. I had started working from home and either had no shoes on or house slipper things with zero support most of the day. Worn my Teva sandels no less and in no time was pain free in both heels.

Back