Food Plots

remy3424

Planted 5+ acres of food plots yesterday, some corn, grain sorghum and a mix of the sorghum, sunflowers & millet. Ground condition was decent this year (a little dry) but, we received 6.5 tenths of rain last night so I am optimistic for good results this year. Put a little pre-emergent herbicide over the corn, that should help.

A big thank you to our local PH chapter for seed.

Everyone else getting to their's?

Last year was our first on the new property so we started small, maybe 3/4 acre of sorghum to see how it would do. Went great, we had lots of birds use it all fall/winter and it supplied some nice easy "old dog" hunts for our over-the-hill but not ready to fully retire kennel queens. Betty & Jillie flushed some impressive numbers of roosters out of that little patch. Going to go a bit larger this year, put in 1.5-2 acres of pre-mixed variety of game bird seed...

I have used the PF mixed plot seed and it really seemed to get hit hard by the birds. Had to replant maybe 300 yards (6, 30" rows) of corn...I am pretty certain it was ground squirrels (13 line) that have been digging up the new corn plants and eating the seed. Happened in a plot just off the road and the bad one was a plot right against 4 rows of shurbs. We mow the spaces between the shrubs, so it makes good habitat for them. Going to try locating holes and poison them...either that or feed them for a month, so they let the corn alone! A few more years and the shurbs should be able to fend for themselves. The corn is clean (weeds), going to need to find a pre-emergent herbicide for the sorghum next year, that is getting green with weeds, Hear lots of roostes crowing, with some good nesting weather, we might be looking at the best bird numbers I have ever seen. As usual, can't wait for opener!

Those dang ground squirrels! Not a huge surprise, but they are now digging up the newly emerged re-planted corn! Walked the shrubs rows and located around a dozen holes. Bought 3 containers of "poison peanuts" and put some down each hole. Hope this helps slow them down, getting a little late for another re-plant. Did see a pheasant chick this evening and saw the nest with the remains of the hatch. Very dry here, 95 degrees is the forecast for tomorrow...better than a cold all day rain I guess.

Re-re-planted over a half mile of 6 row 30" using some old PF seed mix, figured it is getting a little late for corn and if it does grow, maybe the ground squirrels will leave it alone. Decent chance of some rain in the 24 hours, that will help.

Back