This Corona Thing

BritChaser

In route from turkey unit 1 to unit 2 I stopped at a locker I like in a little town in NW KS. I was dressed in camo. While waiting to get my order tallied, a young guy came out from the back and sat down. "Any luck?" he asked me. "Yeah," I replied. Then he said "I went out and looked at your license plate." I thought he was expressing curiosity about what county I'm from, so I told him the state had stopped putting county designators on veteran plates. Then he said the reason he looked is that he wanted to see if I was from out of state. If so, he went on to say, then I would be facing quarantine, fines, and jail. He said some Colorado hunters came to town and got quarantined and sent back. He seemed quite proud of this and somewhat disappointed that he could not give me the same treatment.

Last edited:
From the Kansas governor FAQ: https://governor.kansas.gov/kansas-essential-functions-faq/?

Can individuals from other states travel to Kansas for outdoor recreational activities (hunting, camping, etc.)?

Answer: Yes, as long as the outdoor activity allows for maintaining a six-foot distance between individuals and complies with the prohibition on gatherings of 10 or more. Quarantine and travel guidance issued by KDHE should also be followed.

BC so did you purchase anything?

Can you believe it? I did. For some reason I did not get mad. Maybe that big tom in the back of my rig put me in an unalterably good mood. I already had my hand basket filled and was waiting for another customer to get taken care of when the conversation took place. Also, I wanted to play the cool dude for the stunning beauty who, along with her stunning beauty of a sister, runs the front end of the place. She was kind enough to bend waaaay over in front of me. Talk about taut denim. :p

Last edited:
It could be an interesting fall if the diseases makes a return spike. Precedent set for stopping seasons and restricting nonresident entry.

It could be an interesting fall if the diseases makes a return spike. Precedent set for stopping seasons and restricting nonresident entry.

business revenue going to be slim anywhere in Kansas....i doubt motel owners can stand much more, business people sure to raise hell if restrictions on NR's takes place.
i can always hunt myself and stay in a tent. if things are this assed up next fall, a lot of people will be standing in line at the soup kitchens....better hope for a turn around fast.

business revenue going to be slim anywhere in Kansas....i doubt motel owners can stand much more, business people sure to raise hell if restrictions on NR's takes place.
i can always hunt myself and stay in a tent. if things are this assed up next fall, a lot of people will be standing in line at the soup kitchens....better hope for a turn around fast.

As a guy in the wild birds only pheasant hunting business, I too am wondering about this fall. This is the time of year that I make plans as to where the food plots will be and invest in seed and other things. I have already decided that the season will be shorter here.

In route from turkey unit 1 to unit 2 I stopped at a locker I like in a little town in NW KS. I was dressed in camo. While waiting to get my order tallied, a young guy came out from the back and sat down. "Any luck?" he asked me. "Yeah," I replied. Then he said "I went out and looked at your license plate." I thought he was expressing curiosity about what county I'm from, so I told him the state had stopped putting county designators on veteran plates. Then he said the reason he looked is that he wanted to see if I was from out of state. If so, he went on to say, then I would be facing quarantine, fines, and jail. He said some Colorado hunters came to town and got quarantined and sent back. He seemed quite proud of this and somewhat disappointed that he could not give me the same treatment.

If I suspected someone did not quarantine before hunting, I would turn them in.

If I suspected someone did not quarantine before hunting, I would turn them in.

What does this mean? I am not sure what you are trying to say. Hunting is an outdoor activity and is an easy way to stay away from others. I think we have gone a little to close to the line of communism when we can call in to a hotline and report on a fellow citizen. Seems a bit big brotherish to me.

What does this mean? I am not sure what you are trying to say. Hunting is an outdoor activity and is an easy way to stay away from others. I think we have gone a little to close to the line of communism when we can call in to a hotline and report on a fellow citizen. Seems a bit big brotherish to me.

Amen Brother...Amen.

agree, this is the last thing we need.

If you come in from another state to hunt turkeys here and your state is on the quarantine list you can not hunt for 14 days. Plain and simple. If you hunt illegally that is poaching. Kansas has shut down all non resident tag purchases since issuing the message below. You can still hunt if you purchased a tag but must quarantine if you are on the travel list.

A Message From the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism

During these unprecedented times, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the outdoor community, residents and nonresidents alike.

As promised, Kansas state parks, state fishing lakes and wildlife areas have not closed. We are confident the outdoor community will continue to make every effort to practice safe social distancing, and refrain from gathering in groups of 10 or more, to ensure these facilities remain open for the enjoyment of all.

Spring seasons will continue as planned, including Kansas’ spring turkey season. Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” referenced here http://www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus, must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin.

Nonresident hunters who have purchased a spring turkey permit and are no longer able to travel to Kansas may get a refund by emailing kdwp.sales@ks.gov.

Whether Kansas is your “home” or your “home away from home,” we invite you to connect with us through our website, ksoutdoors.com, and our free mobile apps, CampIt KS and HuntFish KS, where you can enjoy 24/7 online access to nearly all of our in-person services.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Last edited:
2020 Spring Turkey Season Notice
Spring seasons will continue as planned, including Kansas’ spring turkey season. All license and permit requirements are still in effect.

NONRESIDENT NOTICE: In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, all sales of general nonresident turkey permits have been suspended. The suspension is made possible via Executive Order No. 20-21, signed April 9, 2020 by Governor Laura Kelly.

Nonresident hunters who made their spring turkey purchase prior to the order’s effective date may still participate in Kansas’ spring turkey season; however, KDWPT is encouraging those hunters to instead consider accepting a refund or KDWPT gift card.

Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” referenced here http://www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus, must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin.

Wow, that is some strict guidelines and requirements. Thanks for sharing that info. I wasn't planning to hunt turkeys in Kansas but was thinking about going to Nebraska. I will need to check their state guidelines.

Wow, that is some strict guidelines and requirements. Thanks for sharing that info. I wasn't planning to hunt turkeys in Kansas but was thinking about going to Nebraska. I will need to check their state guidelines.

You won't be hunting Nebraska, that was the first state to shut down. Maybe the OP did not know the new guidelines.

Last edited:
Some states have closed public land to all hunters. Quite a few states have shutdown NR turkey hunting or placed quarantine rules in-place that effectively stop NRs from entering. MN and WI have embraced their turkey seasons as a way to get outside and so far are not restricting NRs ... that said travel is not simple right now and both states urge hunters to remain closer to home.

Canada has shut their border to sportsman. Only snow goose hunters are impacted right now. Be interesting to see if Canada restricts visitors in May, June and July. Resorts up there may not make it.

I do not believe that MN is on the KS list unless added real recently. Not that I plan to go to KS. Had great time there about a 15 years ago, but never went back.

Colorado and Illinois are probably the two states most impacted by the quarantine rules. I am sure quite a few people from the Chicago area travel to KS and Colorado hunters must fill up western KS at times during hunting seasons.

I do not believe that MN is on the KS list unless added real recently. Not that I plan to go to KS. Had great time there about a 15 years ago, but never went back.

Colorado and Illinois are probably the two states most impacted by the quarantine rules. I am sure quite a few people from the Chicago area travel to KS and Colorado hunters must fill up western KS at times during hunting seasons.

Doesn't matter if you're on the list or not now, you can't buy a tag in KS.

Don't think I said that - only commented on states impacted by quarantine rule and why those Colorado hunters were in violation.

Many people plan ahead and purchase licenses far in advance of their departure. Those people with licenses already purchased need to make a decision. If I remember right KS had a rule that you could not hunt the day you purchase your turkey license.

I do not believe that people should travel (beyond a day trip) right now. I have unsubscribed to all emails from hunting groups that are traveling and do not plan to purchase their products. Personal decision - each can make their own.

We freelanced in KS that spring and more interestingly much of the private land we had permission to hunt on was enrolled in the walk in program. We did have a small advantage in that we could access some of those properties from a different angle. Some plenty of turkeys that year, along with deer, pheasant, and quail.

Back