Favorite shotgun?

Early season: Stevens Model 555 O/U 28 Ga.; love the light weight and handling.

Midseason: DeHaan Model S2 SXS 16 Ga.; my "Go To" for most of my pheasant hunting.

Late season: Ithaca SKB SXS Model 280 12 Ga.; light, quick and a great carry...However, I also like my Remington Model 31 pump 16 Ga. for the same reasons. It's FULL choke is seldom a handicap in the late season.

Early season: Stevens Model 555 O/U 28 Ga.; love the light weight and handling.

Midseason: DeHaan Model S2 SXS 16 Ga.; my "Go To" for most of my pheasant hunting.

Late season: Ithaca SKB SXS Model 280 12 Ga.; light, quick and a great carry...However, I also like my Remington Model 31 pump 16 Ga. for the same reasons. It's FULL choke is seldom a handicap in the late season.

The post asked for your favorite shotGUN - singular. ;) Seriously though, it's fun to hear what trips people's triggers, so to speak.

Either my 1944 LC Smith 16ga or my 1905 LC Smith 12ga.

I loved my Beretta Silver Pigeon 686, 12g, o/u but it was getting to be a little heavy for me after following the dogs ... so I swapped it with my brother and bought a Yildiz 20g s/s ... I do miss it, so easy to fire but ... the Yildiz is a nice little gun ... had swivels put on it and made a sling so eight hours up the river is fine ...

View attachment 7890

Last edited:
The one that's in my hand. Currently the only one I have is an 870 express. I can carry it all day no problem and even with the 26 in barrel, it packs a punch and knocks them down. Already counting down til next year.

The one that's in my hand. Currently the only one I have is an 870 express. I can carry it all day no problem and even with the 26 in barrel, it packs a punch and knocks them down. Already counting down til next year.

As the ole saying goes "Beware of the man who has only one gun, he knows how to use it and use it well" :laugh:

Fir my smokeless guns it is a FAIR 20 gauge Iside Vintage hammer double
Black powder cartridge is an 1878 Westley Richards 12 bore hammer double
Muzzle loaders is my Barreta Tri Centennial O/U percussion gun!
Those are the three I use the most
DT

12 gauge 870 sp, 20 gauge 11-87
12 guage A-5, 16 guage LC.SMITH,12 guage 11-87.28 guage 1100. I use all of these, and more.

12 gauge Browning Silver Hunter with a 26” barrel and 3” chamber. It has taken many a quail and dove since I bought it 3 years ago, and a couple of Kansas roosters this year.

I just bought a new Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen a few weeks ago, and it might become the new favorite after I get a chance to use it more. The only one I could find and bought has the 28” barrel. It’s long as a well rope but that orange front sight lines up really well when I bring it up to my shoulder. So far, I’ve shot one quail with it and put about 75 rounds through it shooting clays. It hits where I point it.

Mine as been a Browning Gold Hunter 3 inch 12 gauge for the last 18 years. However, I bought a new Benelli Montefeltro 20 guage a couple of months ago and so far have not missed a pheasant with it. The ones I have shot have been destroyed and dead on arrival. I don't think I will ever want to pull out a 12 gauage again.

Breda Brescia 12ga autoloader. My dad gave me his 40+yrs ago when I was in jr high school. Have taken loads of dove, quail and ducks with it without a single problem other than hitting it once and breaking the bolt handle. Loved it so much that my 21yr old son just snuck it out of the house and I had to go to one of the online auction places to buy myself another one.

Well, I took my new Winchester 101 out on the pheasant and quail opener in KS quail country. Too many crops in the field, but we got into a covey and I dropped my first bird with it. Can’t wait to take it to eastern Colorado for pheasant in a week or so.

I have to change my answer. My Rizzini became more favored to me after I found that I shot it better than my SKB. I still shoot my Benelli better but it’s not as photogenic.

Back