Entry Level O/U $600 to 700 or less

shorthairs4life

Any recommendations on the guns in the price range? I need to purchase a O/U and want to in the near future pass this gun along to my son.
You guys did a great job recommended an awesome gun case and I'm hoping you can do the same with a O/U.
I know fit has a lot to do with it, but since I'm passing it on in the next couple years I'm not sure how it will fit the long term intended user.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Second on the CZ. I have a Canvasback. It has withstood the hell that I've put it through and is still doing great. I liked it so much, I bought the CZ Ringneck SXS for this fall.

Up your budget a little. Buy a used beretta or browning.

+1

A preowned Browning or Beretta O/U is a far better buy than a new CZ anything. Shop carefully and you can find a nice quality O/U for roughly the same $$$.

Any recommendations on the guns in the price range? I need to purchase a O/U and want to in the near future pass this gun along to my son.
You guys did a great job recommended an awesome gun case and I'm hoping you can do the same with a O/U.
I know fit has a lot to do with it, but since I'm passing it on in the next couple years I'm not sure how it will fit the long term intended user.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have been on the same search for a few months now. I have also been looking for a lightly used beretta or browning, but they are hard to find. Even if they are used, in my experience, they are still more in the $800-900 range.

I have really liked the Stevens model 555. I almost bought one this weekend. It is a super light gun and pulls up great for me. There is nothing particularly that stands out on the gun (plain receiver) but it did have a nice stock. This gun was $579 brand new with (5) chokes. If you are in to the engraving/looks of a gun, Dicks Sporting Goods has the Stevens 555 in a Dick's Exclusive that has some engraving on it that I thought looked really good. See my thread titled "sell me a Shotgun"

I am waiting for some of my local gun shops to get some ATI Calvary's in. I have heard numerous good things about these guns and all of the shops around here cannot keep them in stock. I haven't held one yet though. These are around $550 brand new. They have a silver receiver with some engraving on them, so they a little prettier than the Stevens.

I have handled a Mossburg Silver Reserve as well. While it felt good, I wasn't much on the "cheap" looking stock.

I held a CZ canvasback 12 gauge this weekend, and it felt heavy to me. I am used to shooting an 870, and while it was lighter, it couldn't have been by much.

For that price range you are forced into a stoeger, or a Stevens,or a mossberg. They are very cheap and as far as I'm concerned, a waste. I know nothing about the Cz. I did how ever handle a new Ruger Red Label Saturday and I am very impressed. I own a Red Label made a long time a go, 2 in fact. The new ones make me want to buy another, so much lighter and better made. They go for $1200.00 out the store. Well worth it. Save your $$ buy a quality shotgun that will last.

I'm sorry but why buy a very poor quality O/U when in your price range you could buy a very nice Quality Pump or Auto that will last your Son's lifetime.
Remington 870 Wingmaster is the most bang for the dollar. Look up Randy Wakeman review on his site. He also has advice on buy O/U & Turkish made guns. Used in your price range Remington Auto's, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca 37. Good Shooting

Honestly, I have handled numerous Brownings, Benelli's, and Beretta's and I haven't found one I would be willing to purchase anyways, even if it was in my price range. Now I completely agree I am sure they are a higher quality shotgun for sure, and in most cases prettier. But if the glove doesn't fit, why wear it? Because everyone else does?

Everytime I go to handle guns, I always handle as many as I can. The Brownings/Beretta's I have handled have been so much bulkier and heavier. Honestly, the last Beretta I handled, I didn't even look at the price tag because soon as I held the gun I knew it wasn't for me. To be perfectly honest I believe some of these lower priced O/U's have come a pretty far way. I have had numerous savage rifles and couldn't be more happy with their performance.

The one gun I really like for the price is the Franchi Instinct. It goes for around $1300 and it handles well for me.

Its just for me, I would feel sick to my stomach if I scratched up a $1300 gun! Cause trust me, I am going to scratch it up where I hunt, it is just part of it.

Last edited:
I have several "B" guns and agree they have a quality edge; however, my SKB 500 20 and Ruger Red Label 28 (both bought used under $600) drop birds right along side them. Hit some local shops and/or gun shows; handle several and buy what feels right for YOU regardless of price.

I'm sorry but why buy a very poor quality O/U when in your price range you could buy a very nice Quality Pump or Auto that will last your Son's lifetime.
Remington 870 Wingmaster is the most bang for the dollar. Look up Randy Wakeman review on his site. He also has advice on buy O/U & Turkish made guns. Used in your price range Remington Auto's, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca 37. Good Shooting

I am looking for an O/U for several reasons. I really like the idea of being able to just pull the trigger in sequence to shoot two shots. I understand the same is done with an auto, but there is still the delay of the shell having to be ejected (i understand it isn't much, but the shell still has to be ejected before a second shot can be fired.) I would consider an auto before another pump (I still have my 870 express for dove hunting) for the grouse woods. I also like the O/U's cause they can be carried broken down. With dogs constantly running around under my feet and checking in, I like the fact there is no question whether the gun can be fired if it is broken down. Yes i understand you have a safety that is always on as well, but better safer than not

I also like the weight of the O/U's I have handled compared to some of the autos and pumps. Now I have to admit some of the Franchi autos I handled have felt awesome!

Sorry not trying to highjack the thread, but I am in the same boat as the OP so I feel like I can relate.

And to the guys who keep referring to a $700 brand new O/U as poor quality (whether it is Stoeger/Mossburg/Stevens/ATI/ or whoever) do yall have first hand experience with them being poor quality? Or is it just the name brand that makes them poor quality? I am not second guessing your opinions, I am just looking for your experiences for my own knowledge! I have no experience with them, so if you guys do I would love to hear it, especially if it is bad. This will keep guys like myself and shorthairsforlife from buying these guns. But if it just the name that is not liked, it hard for me to justify not purchasing a gun that feels great to me and looks great to me for 1/2 the cost.

And I am not talking about your great uncles sisters boyfriend who shot one one time and it jammed on him...I like first hand experience.

Thanks for the help in our search guys!

Last edited:
Chewi...trust me on this one; don't challenge guys with set likes and dislikes. That will only lead to frustration on your end. Listen, or in this case, read what they say and take it or leave it. There's a fine line to understanding whether its an opinion or advice.

I have a buddy that can buy the state but is so cheap he shoots a Yildiz bought at Academy and destroys birds. He knocked it over in mud one day, cleaned it by dipping it in a horse trough and killed a limit of quail all in one day. Came home, sprayed in down with CLP and it still shoots today.

As I said before, try 'em before you buy 'em. All that matters is how confident you are in the gun and what your pocketbook allows you to buy.

And just because I couldn't resist...OU's don't jam...:D

Chewi...trust me on this one; don't challenge guys with set likes and dislikes. That will only lead to frustration on your end. Listen, or in this case, read what they say and take it or leave it. There's a fine line to understanding whether its an opinion or advice.

I have a buddy that can buy the state but is so cheap he shoots a Yildiz bought at Academy and destroys birds. He knocked it over in mud one day, cleaned it by dipping it in a horse trough and killed a limit of quail all in one day. Came home, sprayed in down with CLP and it still shoots today.

As I said before, try 'em before you buy 'em. All that matters is how confident you are in the gun and what your pocketbook allows you to buy.

And just because I couldn't resist...OU's don't jam...:D

Thanks Superintendent!

The last thing I am trying to do is challenge anyone. I hope the guys can read my posts with out feeling offended or challenged.

But I feel I have made a fair statement. If someone claims a gun is of poor quality they must have a reason, right? Just because it is not as high of quality as another brand, doesn't mean it is poor quality either...that is all I am stating.

Again, I am not going to argue with anyone on the subject, but with the internet anymore, people can easy be misled. Like you said, shoot them, handle them, and see which works best for you. Now that's something everyone can agree on.

And just because I couldnt resist...I dont know about you, but I don't carry a pocketbook. Could we see yours? :D

totally kidding my friend...thanks for the response!

Last edited:
I still really like the Franchi's and wish I could get some more inputs on experience with those?

My dad has a Franchi Instinct it has served him well. He uses it as his field trial gun only.

I understand the quality is cheaper when you are considering machined mass produced parts vs hand crafted one at a time craftsmanship. But this gun will be lucky to see 100 rounds per year. If it goes 1000 rounds before falling apart then he will be on his own to buy his last forever gun. I'm just trying to get him something that will last him until he's supporting himself. I've already purchased a .410 for him and he's outgrowing that and will soon be ready to move up to a 20 gauge.

I'm personally a huge fan of semi-auto's and would never cheat on my personal Benelli. If my gun ever stops working I think I would need a day to mourn. That's how perfectly matched this gun is for me.
I'm looking at a O/U for my son because they are shorter and I think they will be less awkward for him.

Last edited:
I would disagree that CZs are "poor" quality guns. As I've said above, my 12 gauge has been through hell and I've had only minimal issues with them -- none less than my friends who are shooting 1200 - 2000 dollar guns. Hell, one of my buddies had one of those beautiful AYAs that damn near fell apart on him before bird season. Took 8 weeks to get the gun repaired and that didn't include the shipping and handling. That gun had less than 1000 rounds through it. In my opinion, CZs are by far the most bang for the buck in double barreled shotguns. If you could grab an SKB 500 in that price range in good condition, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I've shot my buddy's 20 gauge and that gun is sweet.

My problem with the stoegers is that they seem bulky, heavy and awkward. The other problem is that they build their 20 gauge guns on a 12 gauge frame and I've only seen a few with really nice wood. I've not held any of the "new" Stevens guns.

I've got an 870 Wingmaster -- one of the old nice ones that my FIL gave me shortly after I married his daughter. It's a nice gun, looks good, shoots well. But I cannot imagine lugging that thing around on a 8 mile walk in Montana and handling dogs is kind of a nightmare with that thing because it is bulky. It's dynamite in the duck blind though.

Different strokes for different folks ...

Back