Wisconsin Pheasants

wisturkeyhunter

Anybody been out yet?
How many have you killed? Seen? Please specify public or private, and stocked or wild birds.

I haven't been out yet was hunting outta state for the opener but heading out for wild public land birds in the morning.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your results.:)

On opening day got on some private land around Winchester/Larson area and 3 of us and 3 dogs walked an hour and a half with nothing-the dogs never got birdy. It was set aside grass/cattails and looked real good but zip. Later that day went on a public hunting grounds and took my gun for a walk again. I belong to a club in New London that releases birds on private land and went yesterday morning from 7:30 to 10:30. My golden flushed 1 which I got and 2 others either out of range or not shootable in the 1st 30 minutes. After that just walked in the rain and mud with no results. A ton of corn is up, in fact none is cut and the fields are wet-beans mostly uncut too. A buddy and me are scheduled to head to SD on 11-7, then again the week-end after Thanksgiving but I've heard not so good reports about the crop/fields/rain situation and am wondering if we should make the 2cd trip the 1st and then maybe go back in mid-December if weather permits. Any Wisconsin hunters been to SD this year?

I haven't been out yet and I'm headed for ND next week so I probably won't get a chance to get out in WI until the 14th of Nov. They should be knocking some of the corn down by then.

I didn't make it out in the morning. Just didn't feel like going in the rain. I did go in the rain for a couple hours before dark though. 3 roosters flushed outta range, dog pointed several hens plus a few of them flushed wild too.

went with my boy opening day saw nada. heard one cackle in the distance (laughing at me i assume). Went early the next morning limited out on the first flush but i let the dogs keep hunting and they put up three more roosters and a couple hens. Pretty good day!

I wish I could come back to Wisconsin over Christmas and chase some birds. Probable won't happen. Something about hunting in your home state. Good luck guys.

I wish I could come back to Wisconsin over Christmas and chase some birds. Probable won't happen. Something about hunting in your home state. Good luck guys.

I am heading up there near Lake Mills for a duck hunting hoping to find a good pheasant place to hunt

Last edited:
I've got out a handful of times on public. Put up a few. Missed one the rest where out of range. Still trying to work with my lab on range. He is great in the woods on grouse and woodcock but when he gets bridy in a field he just wants to run. Going to try and get out a couple times this week.

Got out for a couple of hours tonight. No pheasants but was on the woodcock. Flushed 5 and was able to knock one down. Forgot how hard it is to shoot around trees.

I got one nice rooster in the morning. It was tough with the fog. I've never seen a rooster fly in heavy fog. Just don't think they move at all then. As soon as the fog started to lift birds started to cackle then shortly after that the dog worked a rooster for well over 200 yards before finally locking it down so I could flush and shoot it. Sure I could have got another if I could have hunted longer but had to leave right after shooting the one I got. Wild birds are so much more fun than the states put and take birds. You can see a pic of the rooster in the dogs no manners post in the general section. He was a nice one with nearly 20 inch tail feathers.

Last edited:
went out sat afternoon(10/31) bagged my first ever woodcock. Dont know who was more surprised him or me. Put up two roosters as i was leaving, the dog worked real hard for em, made me proud. I screwed it up though and was out of position and couldnt get a shot.

Congrats on the woodcock. Fun little bird to hunt. Very humbling in my opinion. Made it out Saturday. Flushed one bird but couldn't connect. Was just happy the dog got on birds.

I grew up in Hartland and now live in Pewaukee. You?

yes and no I actually took my hunters safety there, but I've never actually hunted there, and I never make it down there during the season to hunt there now.

Went out again today. Dog got 2 woodcock up, dog also pointed a hen and a rooster. Rooster flushed 50 yards the other side of the dog just flew about 15 yards across a ditch and dropped into corn. So much corn around the birds aren't hardly flying just walking from grass/cattails to corn as soon as its starting to get light. Making it tough. Be out there in the morning again got some really nice grass to hit surrounded by 3 sides of corn and decent populations of wild birds.

Last edited:
Back