Winter Storm Eboni???

dgrunloh

Any locals that could give me an update on this storm. I was thinking of making a last minute trip out this weekend. Will the back roads be impassible? What can I expect?

Thanks

Any locals that could give me an update on this storm. I was thinking of making a last minute trip out this weekend. Will the back roads be impassible? What can I expect?

Thanks

Snow/Wind
30°9°
100%
NNW 28 mph 90%
UV INDEX SUNRISE SUNSET MOONRISE MOONSET
0 of 10
8:04 am
5:01 pm
11:12 pm
11:53 am
Periods of snow and windy. High around 30F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

tomorrow's forecast above...........if it holds up, I-90 will be shut down. Your best bet is to call SD Department of Roads and get travel up dates from them...plows won't likely go out on rural roads until winds let up.......probably late Friday or Saturday morning.

Snow/Wind
30°9°
100%
NNW 28 mph 90%
UV INDEX SUNRISE SUNSET MOONRISE MOONSET
0 of 10
8:04 am
5:01 pm
11:12 pm
11:53 am
Periods of snow and windy. High around 30F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

tomorrow's forecast above...........if it holds up, I-90 will be shut down. Your best bet is to call SD Department of Roads and get travel up dates from them...plows won't likely go out on rural roads until winds let up.......probably late Friday or Saturday morning.

website with highway cams at many locations in SD
South Dakota - Cameras SafetravelUSA

Last edited:
Say what???? Eboni?? In nearly 50 years, I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone call a winter storm by a name. Other than "The '76 Blizzard", "The Storm of '83" & that sort of thing. Learn something every day, I guess.

the Weather Channel started that crap last winter, naming winter weather systems like naming hurricanes. all to hype their coverage and wind people up. silly shit, really.

They have been naming winter storms for many years now ... just like hurricanes. Watch the weather channel ...

It actually started in 2012.

I feel so out of touch.

Wear it as a badge of honor! The weather channel sucks....but I guess they do what they feel they need to sell advertising. Ebony pfft

Wear it as a badge of honor! The weather channel sucks....but I guess they do what they feel they need to sell advertising. Ebony pfft

Thank you. I will. And :cheers: on the "pfft" part! I don't visit TWC online & have been separated from cable TV et al for 11 years now. Rely solely on good ol' rabbit ears. Almost as liberating as my divorce 6 or 7 years ago from the cell service provider whose name starts w/ "V".

Well, Winter Storm Eboni FINALLY cut down the birds' options in my neck of the woods & bunched them up. Hunted Sunday & Monday w/ a buddy & his 2 springers, neither of which would be classified as real effective hunters. One's 13 yrs old (never was great) & the other is 6 months & probably only hunted 6-8 times ever. But we sure found the birds on public land. Saw a lot of birds. Difficult, yes. But we got 4 each day & if a few things would've worked out a little different, probably could've shot limits. Really difficult weather conditions Monday, what w/ the tremendous wind & light snow & all. But we got 'em anyway. Also, as I knew already, the cattails in some areas are unbelievably dense this year & practically impassable by humans. Didn't have any issues breaking through ice, which is always a good thing.

Not sure what area of the state you plan to hunt but I would carefully check conditions. There has been a lot of snow and a lot of wind. Some roads could still be impassible and section lines would be for sure. Even getting into the field and walking might not be possible. I'm sure most cattail sloughs are full of snow and CPR fields are probably snow covered. I'm sure it was a tough storm on the birds.

Not sure what area of the state you plan to hunt but I would carefully check conditions. There has been a lot of snow and a lot of wind. Some roads could still be impassible and section lines would be for sure. Even getting into the field and walking might not be possible. I'm sure most cattail sloughs are full of snow and CPR fields are probably snow covered. I'm sure it was a tough storm on the birds.

Yeah, that's my thing. I'm planning on hunting the public ground around Mitchell, but I don't want to make the 12 hour drive and not be able to drive the country roads. If anybody has been out and can tell me how the roads are that would be great.

Thanks

Back