Winchester SuperX

Thrasher

I have been hitting birds pretty close and tearing a few up. I decided that I would load Winchester Super X, #6's, 1 ounce, low base and follow it up with the Federal PF shells if needed. Went out this morning, 200 yards from the truck Molly points a rooster. It gets up as I approach. I shoot it going away, and it keeps flying. Pulled the trigger again and nothing. The shell did not cycle in my Browning Maxus. I cycled the gun and shot a second time, more in frustration since the bird was now out of range. I watched it, and hunted where it landed with no luck.

My dad and I then got into a covey of quail. I shot one using a high base 6 and we went after the singles. I switched guns with my dad since he wanted to watch was not sure about being able to hit quail. I loaded the 11-87 up with the Winchester low based shells and followed Molly. She pointed a single, I flushed it, missed and squeezed the trigger again. Again nothing. The shell failed to cycle in the Remington. That gun cycles flawlessly on promo #8's and anything else I have put through it. The Maxus also eats up the 8's and works great.

Has anyone else had problems with these shells? I tried 3 more of the same shells and none would cycle. I then took a Competition One and took one more single from a point.

Back