Winchester 348 Silvertip ammo

Hockeybob

My Grandfather has left us 2 boxes of Winchester 348 Silvertip rounds. The boxes have to be from the 60's-70's and in great shape.
I googled them and most prices are around $75-$90 per box. Does anyone know why so expensive? I'm unfamiliar with this gun and ammo but it is a large cartridge. Thanks!

My Grandfather has left us 2 boxes of Winchester 348 Silvertip rounds. The boxes have to be from the 60's-70's and in great shape.
I googled them and most prices are around $75-$90 per box. Does anyone know why so expensive? I'm unfamiliar with this gun and ammo but it is a large cartridge. Thanks!

I don't know much about the 348 except that it would be for very large animals. I love the old silvertip ammo, I use it in a 270 and it has worked very well. I am about out of the old silver tip ammo.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the .348

The .348 Winchester is an American rifle cartridge. It was introduced in 1936, and developed for the Winchester Model 71 lever rifle. The .348 was one of the most powerful rimmed rounds ever used in a lever rifle.
It is excellent for any North American big game in woods or brush, if the 250 grain bullet is used, but not especially suited to long range, as a result of the need to use flat-nose slugs due to the Model 71's tubular magazine.[1] (Factory-loaded, midrange trajectory at 200 yards (180 m) is 2.9 in (7.4 cm) for the 150-grain (9.7 g) bullet, 3.6 in (9.1 cm) for the 200-grain (13 g) round, and 4.4 in (11 cm) for the 250-grain (16 g) slug.)[1] The 200-and-250-grain (13 and 16 g) loadings are preferred for anything past 100 yd (91 m).[1]
In 1962, Winchester dropped the factory 150 gr and 250 gr loads, retaining only the 200 gr. No other rifle ever was ever offered in .348 by Winchester (although Uberti has made some 400 rifles chambered for the .348 in the Cimarron 1885 Hi-Wall in 2005-06), and it has been supplanted by the .358 Winchester (in the Model 88).[1] (The Model 71 was discontinued in 1958.)[1]

As said above. Its an excellent cartridge but never really caught on. Those Model 71 rifles are scarce and have been going up in price. A pristine one can go for as much as $5000 although you can find a nice shooter for $1000 or so. Don't know the value of the ammo and boxes but they're probably as collectible as the the rifles.

Super X silvertip.

That's all I shot untill I started reloading. Just thought they were cool & always did the job for me.

Here's an article about the .348 by Chuck Hawks. Obviously a short range (<200 yds) cartridge. But within it's range a very capable round.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/348win.htm

I checked the Hornady website and it does not appear they carry the "Hornady LEVERevolution" in a 348. I say this because I stumbled upon the round few yrs back for my son's 30-30. The shell really changes the range for lever action rifles i.e. at 200yds the bullet trajectory (30-30) is still on the plus side at .10 inches! Maybe if you contact them they can help you...I only offer this as a solution regards if you wanna use the weapon for hunting but want to increase it's striking distance.

I know this is a shot in the dark at this point since so much time has passed. But you don't happen to still have those boxes of shells? And if so would you part with them ?

Mark

This ammo has more of a collectors value than shooting ammo.

Believe it or not I still hunt deer with my 71. (only on the good weather days haha) but i shoot it at the range frequently and reload for it. I just try to get my hands on as much of the original stuff as I can.

Back