Where to live?

I would take that view in a split second:10sign:
Looks like May have been taken near scatter gun lodge road area back towards Chamberlain??

Would love to live there spring summer and fall—

My cabin is Northeast of Chamberlain. The view I posted is looking South West towards the dude ranch, over top of Chamb and Oacoma. Straight to the west, is the bluff view of the river, of which the bluffs block mine. (kinda like looking at Mt Rushmore form the back side. lol) Theres about 100k difference in lots costs, hence the "cheap seats" .:)

Thank you all for your inputs. I will be coming up as soon as the snows clears up a little bit on a house hunting trip.

I have lived in the northeast part of state my whole life...except for two years I lived in chamberlain. Chamberlain is a wonderful community. Lots of outdoor things to do and not too far to travel to good areas. Northeast has great opportunities too but as others have mentioned...the weather here is often life altering. The amount of snow I've moved this year is an incredible hassle. If feel chamberlain area is better set up economically as well. I plan to retire back down in that area.

Have been investigating relocating to Pierre for retirement. Need a fair sized town to get the Mrs. Onboard. However, I am perplexed at the high cost of housing, especially if you look at the cost by the sq ft. Anyone have any ideas as to why.

Have been investigating relocating to Pierre for retirement. Need a fair sized town to get the Mrs. Onboard. However, I am perplexed at the high cost of housing, especially if you look at the cost by the sq ft. Anyone have any ideas as to why.

Probably has to do with allot of state employees, the river and generally it is a nice place to live.

Placed and offer on a home in Winner on 3.3 acres

Great choice!
In the very heart of great hunting area-hope offer works out for you-
Been guiding/working dogs for Lodge (Antler Ridge)
out there for a long time now—great people in that area—

I had to withdraw my offer on the home in Winner. The home inspection brought to light many issues with the home. The search goes on.

House was supposed to have been completely remodeled from the studs out. New everything. Inspection showed HVAC issues, plumbing issues, electrical issues, venting issues. Items that were supposed to be new were old. Too many to list.

Also thinking about relocating to SD with the wife for retirement too for the fishing and hunting, not as familiar with the areas, where did you decide?

I sold my Okoboji property in October, and moved into our shop home in Garretson in November. We are loving the change of states. We bought an acreage on the outskirts of Garretson and are putting up a new shop 45x69. We are also in the planning stages of a new home on the acreage also.

if weather is of any concern, I29 corridor north of Interstate 90 is the armpit of south dakota in regards to weather.. :)

House was supposed to have been completely remodeled from the studs out. New everything. Inspection showed HVAC issues, plumbing issues, electrical issues, venting issues. Items that were supposed to be new were old. Too many to list.
Old man and I are searching to move too, south of the 90, where should we look? Don’t want to run into the problem you had with a place

I finally bought a place 18 miles north of Pierre on Okobojo Creek of lake Oahe. A little over 20 acres with a view of the river/lake/bay. Closed on 01/22/21 and hunted the last few days of the season. Then it got cold, real cold (-22 deg). Looking forward to it warming up!

Back