Whelping dog's eating habits

goldenboy

Just a question for those of you that breed or understand the process. My female was bred 5 weeks ago. She is just now starting to be picking in her eating habits. Probably upset stomach, morning sickness, whatever you want to call it. This is typical but I was wondering what other breeders do to help get nutrients into them at this stage of the pregnancy. Gestation in a dog is 63-65 days and she is due in about 4 weeks from now. She is eating a good food, plenty of fat and protein and once she has the pups her appetite returns and we feed her all she can eat, but for right now I am trying to keep those puppies developing as much as possible just wondering if anybody supplements with anything at this stage of pregnancy?

Joel,

I have bred my golden twice (2 years ago and 3 weeks ago) and in both instances she backed off of food at 2- 3 weeks in. I keep a log during the pregnancy and she dropped 1/3 to as much as 1/2 of her normal/working food intake each day. I only had one day where she did not eat at all. You can certainly supplement with some other food if you want. I did this 2 years ago but in the end I think she just increased intake when her body said to do so. During the last half of the first pregnancy she was about 1/3 less food (2 cups instead of 3) then when not pregnant and hunting. Of course, I was not working her as hard either.

Jay,

I just looked at your web site! You take phenomenal pictures! I love the pics of the goldens. Wish you lived closer. She is eating better now but I still try to watch her intake as much as possible. She is getting plenty of exercise but that will slow down now. Have a blessed day!

Back