what is going on in SD.

1stout

What are the weather conditions going to be like this year? Last year was dry, hopefully not so bad this year and the potholes are starting to get some more water in them. Spent a week in Blackhills this spring, man they got a lot of snow last winter, some places still had 3-4 feet when we were there the end of April. I'll be coming out this year for the opener....I hate opening weekend, too busy for me but the couple guys I hunt with like it so I compromise with the hopes that I find the time and someone to ride along with me to hunt a weekend or 2 late season but I normally can't find anyone that wants to hunt it then. I am also getting to the age where I don't want to be out there wandering around by myself for safety reasons. Anyway, I hunt north central area right on the ND border NW of Aberdeen about an hour, if anyone has any insight as to the conditions out there I would appreciate, have a safe and fun hunting season.

Curios as well. I now they had rains the end of last week in good amounts in certain areas. Just wandering if it has dried enough for the harvest to start back up?

Beans are essentially done and corn is getting a fair start. I would say harvest is ahead of average and farmers are getting after the corn again after rain delay from last week. I believe corn is still a little wet in a few places and mother nature is cheaper than propane. I hunted the resident opener and seen plenty of birds and am confident this will be another decent year.

Crop report from today showed corn harvest a little behind last year but ahead of the 5 year average. Beans ahead on both comparisons.

sounds like it is about the same as normal. The ethanol corn fields will probably be picked but the rest I would expect to be in to let them dry. Are the potholes still dry or did they start to fill with water this year?

sounds like it is about the same as normal. The ethanol corn fields will probably be picked but the rest I would expect to be in to let them dry. Are the potholes still dry or did they start to fill with water this year?
Water in some potholes for sure. Some low corn will have to sit another week at least too.

Think potholes will vary by location. On our property my buddy said the most water he has seen in a long time. 70 miles south other buddies saying normal or below normal moisture In the sloughs.

Back