What hunts are you planning for the upcoming season

Westok

I’ll start with blue grouse in New Mexico or Colorado , probably make it up to Nebraska for sharp tails/ chickens in october. Hopefully I’ll get to make a bunch of runs up to the Oklahoma panhandle and Kansas for pheasants. My dream hunt is Huns and chukar but I don’t think I’ll have the time for that long of a drive this year.

Probably one hunt in North Dakota late season. I would like to squeeze a South Dakota hunt in. Many trips to the game farm because it is quick and an easy way to get the pup on birds. I plan to guide some more this fall because I will have three dogs to put on the ground. I am really interested in trying Iowa again. Haven't hunted there in years but will probably try a long weekend down there.

We are going to Montana in Oct. for Pheasant, Huns, Sharp tail and Antelope and then back to Montana in Nov. for Deer and Pheasant

We go to South Dakota in late October, then to Kansas for opening week, local Blue Grouse and Duck hunts, followed by 2 more trips to Kansas in January. I already cant wait; had my first pheasant hunting dream 2 nights ago...

Last year I did Nebraska, Kansas and North Dakota. The year before Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota. This year because of the virus I think I will be stuck chasing ptarmigan , willow grouse and spruce grouse close to home.

Thinking I might hunt South Dakota for the entire season this year.
Haha wise guy!

Hopefully a few trips to SD again.
Day trips to S WI for Roosters
A day or two looking for another unicorn in IL.
A vaca to our place in N WI for grouse. Hearing good reports of drumming up there so far.

To some degree there might be variables based on whats going on in our country etc etc.

At least two SD trips, one early-season and another in mid-to-late Nov.
Probably a short trip to Kansas, just because it's fairly close, about half the drive to SD.
Maybe a trip to Southeast New Mexico for scaled quail. Depends on how the bird numbers look. When I checked a few days ago, there hadn't been much rain in that area so far this year.

What part of Montana do you go to? I have hunted the Eastern part about an hour north of Glendive but the upland birds are hit an miss.

We are about 1 hour south of Glendive and the birds are about the same hit and miss the last few years. Hoping this will be the start of the come back.

Last year I went to ND early season, then SD for pheasant.
We had a bad year for quail in my home state so I went to Ks several times.

This year, if I’m blessed with opportunity again- I’ll be watching hatches in Az and Ok. If hatches don’t look good I’ll keep it the same as last year.

Spent a lot of money on a new bow this year so hunting funds are fairly depleted. Plan to stick around my home state and chase birds in Western MN. Then bow hunt the rut in Buffalo Co. Wisconsin followed by a weekend, maybe two of rifle hunting. There goes most of November. Back to Western MN when things freeze up and 5 days hunting some private ground in Kansas in January. It goes to fast!

I'll hunt pheasants in my home state of South Dakota and also SW Minnesota. I have a friend in the NW corner of North Dakota that has invited me up to hunt some pheasants and sharpies, and also a guy I know in Boise, ID that I have a standing invitation from to come out and hunt sharpies, huns and maybe some Chukars. I'd like to make that trip to ND and then on to ID before I'm too old so might have to make it happen this year.

I acquired a new English setter pup last September, and he's progressing nicely. Two trips to South Dakota, at least two trips to Kansas. We have some places to explore in Oklahoma also. I plan on burning fuel and boot leather every weekend this fall.

I’m in western Oklahoma, quail weren’t good last year around here. I’m hoping it’ll be better this year. nw ok was a little better I’ve heard. If you make it to Oklahoma post I’d be happy to share some more spots

Thank you very much for the offer. I'll probably take you up on that, this fall.

Two weeks in SD for ducks and pheasants near the opener, Elk in CO in Nov, Waterfowl & Deer in NY in Fall between other hunts, SC for Quail

SD opener for 3 days around Huron.
Jan duck hunting is SW Texas near Brownsville.
Three day waterfowl trip to Saskatchewan mid September 2021

I'll hunt pheasants in my home state of South Dakota and also SW Minnesota. I have a friend in the NW corner of North Dakota that has invited me up to hunt some pheasants and sharpies, and also a guy I know in Boise, ID that I have a standing invitation from to come out and hunt sharpies, huns and maybe some Chukars. I'd like to make that trip to ND and then on to ID before I'm too old so might have to make it happen this year.

Zeb,

Whenever I see guys hunting Chukars I cringe! Lots of uphill and sidehill walking for those crazy birds. You better not wait to long, I don't think that is a old man's sport. Bets of luck this fall.

Back