What choke is in your gun?

How do you recognize them? Volumes of powder/shot? Branding?
I think he's talking about federal hi-bird. As the names change it can get a little confusing. I thought I had a box of it but I don't. In the picture the left side are federal premium. Top left is prairie storm, they are gimmicky with purposefully deformed pellets which lead to poor pattern performance. The bottom left was formerly called wing-shok. It's a high velocity load with round pellets, if you think you need a fast shell, go with them. Upper right is the cheap-o shell. Lower right is a federal shell branded as Dakota country sold at Runnings. They are the same as Hi Bird, federal mid-range shell price wise. These would be my go to as well. Reasonable velocity, good components, round pellets.20240118_112819.jpg

I think he's talking about federal hi-bird. As the names change it can get a little confusing. I thought I had a box of it but I don't. In the picture the left side are federal premium. Top left is prairie storm, they are gimmicky with purposefully deformed pellets which lead to poor pattern performance. The bottom left was formerly called wing-shok. It's a high velocity load with round pellets, if you think you need a fast shell, go with them. Upper right is the cheap-o shell. Lower right is a federal shell branded as Dakota country sold at Runnings. They are the same as Hi Bird, federal mid-range shell price wise. These would be my go to as well. Reasonable velocity, good components, round pellets.View attachment 7377
I’d shoot the upper right box all day long…I pretty much do…#5 lead, my preference.

I have read, and reread, Larry Brown's latest edition of "A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook" and he thoughtfully studies the interrelationship between gauges, chokes and loads. In the past 4-5 years I have used a 16 gauge (either the new Browning A5 with IC choke or my Merkel 1620, choked IC/Mod) and have had good success using either the Boss #5 or the Remington Express #5 or#6 lead shells. I have a better than average dog, and have been hunting pheasants for over 33 years. Boss, being nontoxic, satisfies any no-tox requirements we face. They're excellent shells but very expensive. Brown intimates that 12, 16 0r 20 gauges can all make effective pheasant guns, depending on the chokes and loads used at various times of the season. Also, as we all know, success is affected by the range and type of shot (straightaway, incomer, 90 degree crossing shot, whether or not a trained dog is used, etc.) A not inconsequential factor is how experienced a shotgunner the hunter is!
For one season (2012) I hunted almost exclusively with a 16 gauge full choked Model 12 Winchester with no noticeable difference in success. The last month of this season, I used a Beretta Extreme A400 20 gauge and after patterning each of the skeet, IC and mod chokes, I left the IC in and that combo worked fine.
The point is, it depends on MANY factors and the subject is so individualized it's hard to give blanket advice. Your own experimentation should, over time, be your best guide as to what works for you.

Next year I'm screwing in cylinder in the big bore and letting it rip. Throws the best pattern out there when you've got enough pellets in the shell, and with a stack barrel, I'll leave a little choke in the upper tube.
That is my plan as well! Thanks everyone for your replies, this is a great place to get honest and real experience feedback!

A 12-gauge cylinder bore barrel or choke tube should have an effective distance out to about 25-30 yards, depending on the shot shell payload, pellet size, and target size. Here are a few of my 12-gauge cylinder choke pattern numbers at 30 yards to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from various loads.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot inscribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS
Reload (STS, Red Dot) 2 ¾” 1 oz #8 lead (391 pellets) / pattern 219 (56%)
Win AA Extra-Lite 2 ¾” 1 oz #8 lead (393 pellets) / pattern 218 (55%)
Win AA Extra-Lite 2 ¾” 1 oz #7 ½ lead (344 pellets) / pattern 194 (56%)
Win AA Heavy 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (377 pellets) / pattern 202 (54%)
Rem Gun Club 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (375 pellets) / pattern 202 (54%)
Rem Premier STS 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (408 pellets) / pattern 238 (58%)
Rem Premier Nitro 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (420 pellets) / pattern 239 (57%)
Reload (STS, Green Dot) 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (402 pellets) / pattern 201 (50%)
Reload (STS, Green Dot) 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #6 lead (267 pellets) / pattern 147 (55%)
Fed Game-Shok 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (224 pellets) / pattern 123 (55%)
Reload (WAACF, Unique) 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (210 pellets) / pattern 125 (60%)
Win Super Pheasant 2 ¾” 1 3/8 oz #5 lead (234 pellets) / pattern 118 (50%)
Average pattern percentage of all loads / 55%

Next year I'm screwing in cylinder in the big bore and letting it rip. Throws the best pattern out there when you've got enough pellets in the shell, and with a stack barrel, I'll leave a little choke in the upper tube.

Might try that at a patterning board first just to be sure... No sense in risking having an unethical choke in and testing it on live birds... We owe it to the birds we chase to be better than that.

A 12-gauge cylinder bore barrel or choke tube should have an effective distance out to about 25-30 yards, depending on the shot shell payload, pellet size, and target size. Here are a few of my 12-gauge cylinder choke pattern numbers at 30 yards to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from various loads.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot inscribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS
Reload (STS, Red Dot) 2 ¾” 1 oz #8 lead (391 pellets) / pattern 219 (56%)
Win AA Extra-Lite 2 ¾” 1 oz #8 lead (393 pellets) / pattern 218 (55%)
Win AA Extra-Lite 2 ¾” 1 oz #7 ½ lead (344 pellets) / pattern 194 (56%)
Rem Premier Nitro 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (420 pellets) / pattern 239 (57%)
Reload (STS, Green Dot) 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (402 pellets) / pattern 201 (50%)
Fed Game-Shok 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (224 pellets) / pattern 123 (55%)
Reload (WAACF, Unique) 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (210 pellets) / pattern 125 (60%)
Win Super Pheasant 2 ¾” 1 3/8 oz #5 lead (234 pellets) / pattern 118 (50%)
Average pattern percentage of all loads / 55%

Pretty much equals what I have seen. Those #5 shells are just barely acceptable for me regarding pellet count in the circle. I want 150, but have had acceptable results at 125. I think Tom Roster said 95ct of #5+ was bare minimum for consistent kills, I prefer more.

Im sure at 20-30yds those would be fine as long as those 120 pellets arent donutted and you center the bird, but obviously it will be significantly tighter at 20. Also theres equal pellets outside the circle aswell which will be prime for crippling if the shot is a bit off. Could go easier on the shoulder though and shoot 28ga 1oz 5s with a modified choke and equal or exceed the results of the big gun and cyl though.

How do you recognize them? Volumes of powder/shot? Branding?

They keep changing the box. It used to be the gold/red box. It is typically the shot speed I suppose. I like the higher lead loading/higher velocity for later season. Let me look around.

They keep changing the box. It used to be the gold/red box. It is typically the shot speed I suppose. I like the higher lead loading/higher velocity for later season. Let me look around.
Are you just talking 3 3/4 dram loads . I still have some federal high power loads from way back.

I think the HiBird is what I buy for early season or when I cannot find something else. They work fine. Not sure I have shot any with the new fiber wad. The pricing appears to be $10 - $14 higher on the Federal site vs. other retail and online locations.

1705620442165.png

Last edited:
Old Box. New Box. One is the 11/4 ounce that I usually shoot. The new box is the 13/8 ounce for late season or windy days (on occasion). If I am paying attention ... the stronger shell are in the magazine.

1705621012539.png
1705621083303.png

Beside Federal Top Gun and an occasional box of Federal HOA ...

These are our go to clay shells. I do like the STS. In cold weather semi-auto clay shooting ... the heavy / higher handicap shells work flawless. Lighter shells not quite as well.

In the summer I shoot the lowest price shells since they are flawless in warmer weather and we are not shooting for $$

Pretty much equals what I have seen. Those #5 shells are just barely acceptable for me regarding pellet count in the circle. I want 150, but have had acceptable results at 125. I think Tom Roster said 95ct of #5+ was bare minimum for consistent kills, I prefer more.
At the 20-30 yard shots we are talking about, the 1 1/8-ounce #6 lead load would be a good choice.

I like Wing Shok. Used it for many years before Prairie Storm came out. I'll still use it too when I can't find PS.

Only difference is that I'm a number 6 shot guy.

Back