What birds are on the ground?

sas

I have read all the surveys and opinions about the coming season.(under 6 wks and counting) My concern is are any of you hunters actually seeing birds on your own along the roads, fields, etc? I hunt between Liberal and Hugoton and would love to hear from a hunter or other reliable source just exactly what is going on as of today. I didn't see nearly the birds last year that I did in '07 and they are flying faster. Thanks

I've been seeing birds around Hugoton driving in the morning and afternoon. I think it is better than last year, but not near as good as 2 years ago. You never really know until you have a shotgun and a dog on the ground.
Good Luck

Appreciate your thoughts. 2 years ago the evening before season we counted 150 birds in a 3 mile stretch of county road. The farmers are so busy that unless they also hunt they don't always have a grasp of the numbers. I won't get to come until the season starts so maybe we will have a better idea once some people hit the grass and see what comes up. That 1st week end is a zoo. Last year we did alot of driving around just to watch the people and waited until they left to hunt ourselves. Thanks again.

I haven't seen anything near 150 birds on the roads, but it is better than last year. I think you'll find a lot more young of the year birds than last year. Half the birds I harvested last year were older birds.

Last edited:
birds on the ground

I'm not seeing huge numbers on the roads. However I have started working my dogs in the grass and they are putting good numbers in the air.I did speak with a farmer who was cutting So of Hugoton last week he said in one particular field phez were so thick they looked like blackbirds flying out.

Pheasant population

The breeding crop in our area was up 35% from last year. This is according to an area wildlife biologist. We are about 40 miles NE of Dodge City. We also had a wet spring, very little hail in the area, tons of bugs, and a delayed whet harvest. Check with the farmers in the areas you hunt. Year in and year out, if they had a good wheat harvest you will find good bird numbers. The farmers in this area had the best wheat harvest on record....do the math. Just after the hatch, I was seeing hens with large broods (8-12 chicks). In the bad years you will see that hen with only a few chicks.

Regards,

Travis

Back