What am I missing??

Stickbow

I will be coming out for my first time November 11th. I am sure the hunting is something that needs to figured out with experience and multiple trips. I was wondering more about what I need for my dog. I Have a 4 year old setter and my buddy has a lab. My dog always wears a skid plate for fences and sharp sticks. Will he need boots at all? just wondered if the terrain is hard on their feet. We will be starting out near Woonsocket, are there any ticks to worry about? I use a Seresto collar so I have that covered. Just wondered if I need to check myself often. My other concern is what are the best maps to have in the truck? Is the fish and game atlas the best or a back roads S. Dakota map book, or some thing else. If there is something you are never without please add it to the list. It never hurts to over prepare. Thanks

Was out there last year that same time frame and will be again this year. Didn't have any ticks last year and wouldn't expect any this year. I was in Kimball last weekend and had a good frost Sunday AM and they talked about having a good freeze week prior also. Didn't have any issues with feet either but could be dependent on terrain and weather. The app for the hunting atlas was very handy and also used the paper book quite a bit. Both worked fine. Good luck with your trip and can't wait to leave here on the 10th to head out. Hopefully weather stays good between now and then so crops continue to come out.

I guess if I could ask for any advice it would be what color on the public access maps would you look at first. I'm thinking WPA and school lands. So hard to tell what your getting into without laying eyes on it. The area we hunt in is very much subject to change. I am assuming the more public land spots per county, the better chance we have to find Birds. Falk, and Brown counties are also of interest due to the amount of public.

From my experience last year the school land was barren and we never stepped foot on any of it and after driving past quite a few I quit paying attention to it on the maps because it was that bad. With the haying that was allowed to happen this year I think it will likely require some road time checking out areas and finding what is out there. Also as your driving pay attention to and mark areas that have good ditches to come back to and hit. Can be good hunting.

I would focus on the WPAs and CREP. That time of year of course weather could be anything. Mostly be prepared to work real hard to get on birds. If you can put the miles on the boots you should get into some birds eventually. I would look for a combo. of water, cover and nearby picked crops.
Prepare a stealthy approach with your partner and dogs getting into all hunting grounds.

Thanks for the replies, I had read somewhere that the school land we're mostly Barron from being cut for hay. There was just so much school and that I thought some of it may have potential. Obviously I want to focus on A mix of cover and food. Another thing, what type of shells do you prefer to use? I normally shoot Prairie storm number 5. I need to have a non-toxic alternative.

Thanks for the replies, I had read somewhere that the school land we're mostly Barron from being cut for hay. There was just so much school and that I thought some of it may have potential. Obviously I want to focus on A mix of cover and food. Another thing, what type of shells do you prefer to use? I normally shoot Prairie storm number 5. I need to have a non-toxic alternative.

I use nickel or copper plated #4-6 depending on different factors for any place that is allowed and then steel shot #3's for non toxic. I sent you a PM also.

Matt

I have hunted with my GSP for the past three years and I normally hunt within the second to fourth week of the season. The weather has been all over the place. I experienced hot dry weather last year and cold, windy weather previous years. I have never hunted my dog with boots or a vest. We seem to end up in a lot of cattail sloughs/tall grass and he would get over heated in such thick cover. Last year I encountered one field that had cactus barbs everywhere! Although I wouldn't put my dog in boots, I would keep a pair of pliers with you to remove any barbs/spurs. The main thing that I have noticed with dogs is that the constant exposure to grass and cattail will rub their eyes, nose, belly, and paws raw. Any pet safe balm will help soothe and protect the areas that get rubbed raw. I use Tuf-foot daily leading up to the season to help toughen his paw pads and it has always proved beneficial. I also use EMT gel for minor scrapes and cuts and it helps heal and protect the wounds well. I would keep plenty of water with you and keep your dog well hydrated. I would also pack a skunk spray bucket because I have encountered skunks every year. Last year my dog to a direct hit. The bucket should include: 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon dish-washing liquid.
As far as maps go, the hunting atlas has all the info I have needed. School lands have typically never looked good to me. I have hunted mainly WPA's, GPA's, and CREP lands. I tend to lean towards CREP but have had success on all. If you come across other hunters that arrived before you, make contact with them before you start hunting. They may invite you to hunt with them if you have a small hunting party, or they may tell you that they would prefer if you moved along. Either way, there should be enough land for everyone. Don't be afraid to hunt the ditches. Also, the residents of SD have always been very helpful and hospitable to us. If you respect their land and boundaries they will be more than willing to help you find a quality place to hunt or anything else you need. My first trip to SD was in 2013 and I got hooked. This will be my fifth season and I can't wait. Be prepared to hunt hard and put a ton of miles on your boots. If you put in the time, you will have a great hunt.

Focus on the WPA's, GPA's, CREP and WIA's. Forget about the school lands as they are mostly pasture with little to no cover. You need to use non-tox on WPA's and GPA's. Lead is fine on CREP and WIA's. If you like Prairie Storm #5 in lead why not try Prairie Storm Steel in #3 shot. Have a good hunt and welcome to SD.

I will be coming out for my first time November 11th. I am sure the hunting is something that needs to figured out with experience and multiple trips. I was wondering more about what I need for my dog. I Have a 4 year old setter and my buddy has a lab. My dog always wears a skid plate for fences and sharp sticks. Will he need boots at all? just wondered if the terrain is hard on their feet. We will be starting out near Woonsocket, are there any ticks to worry about? I use a Seresto collar so I have that covered. Just wondered if I need to check myself often. My other concern is what are the best maps to have in the truck? Is the fish and game atlas the best or a back roads S. Dakota map book, or some thing else. If there is something you are never without please add it to the list. It never hurts to over prepare. Thanks

Interesting post - good questions.

Regarding boots: In SD, I have not found the need for them. Sand burrs are typically the culprit, but have not found them in SD.

Maps: If you focus on one or two counties, a county "plat map" can be very helpful. They show land owners and their phone numbers and have great detail. I make notes on the individual pages which is helpful from year to year. Midwestplatmaps.com or 402-494-8300. They are a bit pricey, but worth it, in my opinion.

Good luck and safe hunting

Oh yeah, dog boots. You don't need them. Been hunting out here for almost 40 years and never had boots on a dog yet. Good idea to bring a fully stocked first aid kit for your dog. Know where the nearest vet is just in case something serious happens to your dog.

Somebody mentioned ditches, which are an underrated public hunting opportunity in SD. Yes, I often "feel like" I am trespassing, but you're not in most situations. Look for good ditch cover with nearby harvested corn fields, water cover, tree lines, etc. And just start walking! For the sake of my time, I like to find ones that have good cover on both sides of the road so I can walk one ditch down aways, then turn around and walk the other ditch back to the vehicle. Watch out for barbed wire along the fields when hunting ditches, and remember to not carry your gun onto private property when retrieving your bird if it happened to go onto private.

Bring twice as much water as you think you'd need, a first aid kit, skunk odor removal. I always carry some strong zip ties in case I'd ever happen to come across a trap.

Thanks guys, those were a couple of points I did not consider. We are still trying to pick a starting point. We're recommended by a friend to start south of Huron. We were thinking north and west of Aberdeen. Going to scour Google Earth and make a decision. Like I tell my friends that aren't going along, I will know more when I get back.

Somebody mentioned ditches, which are an underrated public hunting opportunity in SD. Yes, I often "feel like" I am trespassing, but you're not in most situations. Look for good ditch cover with nearby harvested corn fields, water cover, tree lines, etc. And just start walking! For the sake of my time, I like to find ones that have good cover on both sides of the road so I can walk one ditch down aways, then turn around and walk the other ditch back to the vehicle. Watch out for barbed wire along the fields when hunting ditches, and remember to not carry your gun onto private property when retrieving your bird if it happened to go onto private.

Bring twice as much water as you think you'd need, a first aid kit, skunk odor removal. I always carry some strong zip ties in case I'd ever happen to come across a trap.

Years ago we were hunting a ditch in MN. A farmer pulled up and said it was his land, and get out! We left and found other land to hunt, however, in calling the MNR and asking about ditch hunting, they said the ditch belongs to the farmer; up to the center line of the roadway.

Just a word of caution aboiut MN hunting...

I always keep a pair of rubber hip boots in the truck just in case I run into a wet area. Sometimes those are my best areas, u can get to places that some people won't go. Be careful with ice for you and your dog as the weather cools down. Good luck and stay safe.

Years ago we were hunting a ditch in MN. A farmer pulled up and said it was his land, and get out! We left and found other land to hunt, however, in calling the MNR and asking about ditch hunting, they said the ditch belongs to the farmer; up to the center line of the roadway.

Just a word of caution aboiut MN hunting...

SD you can ditch hunt anywhere except interstate road ditches I believe. Even highway ditches are legal, although I wouldn't recommend it. Stick to gravel. MN is a different story- the explanation I received a few years ago from the state was that it is best to avoid it. Some areas it is legal, but it all depends on if it is federal, state, township, or county owned road and they all have different regulations that aren't easy to find.

Back