What am I looking for?

TheWanderer

I'll be hunting in SD this year for the first time ever. We'll be hunting 3 1/2 days in the NE part of the state and as of now there'll be 3 of us and one dog. I know there's plenty of public land, and I know it can be tough/hit/miss, and I know miles needed to be added to the odometer in terms of scouting.

But what am I looking for when driving? I've never had to scout pheasants. I've been hunting them for 10 years now, but in PA/NJ there all stockies so you go where they put them on the limited land there is available.

Strategies on late season scouting would be very welcomed.

I've already read up on late season hunting and tactics strategies.

When the state puts out its survey on pheasant numbers you can look for areas that have good numbers and then go into those areas and drive by public ground and try to find good cover. also if you can drive right up to it so has everyone else--look for out of the way hard to get to places--maybe walk to the back part away from the road---hunt slow and remmember if birds are flushing wild your not going to get to them anyway and you will rush past the sit tight birds---SLOW

I've gone to NESD for 4 years. I know that is not much but we did our best finding areas that a small group can hunt. We usually did this the last part of October however. If you are going later in the year and hunting public land in NESD I would certainly look at cattails sloughs that would be manageable for the size of your group. You will come across numerous sloughs that are huge and will hold a fair number of birds, but they are simply too big for the size of group that you have. There are tracts of public land that you will be able to hunt but you simply have to drive and find them. The land out there changes every year. If there are any food sources next to this land, this should be good. PM me if you have more questions on where we hunted.

I'm heading to SD in December with a larger group this year, but half will be public and half will be private.

I'll be hunting in SD this year for the first time ever. We'll be hunting 3 1/2 days in the NE part of the state and as of now there'll be 3 of us and one dog. I know there's plenty of public land, and I know it can be tough/hit/miss, and I know miles needed to be added to the odometer in terms of scouting.

But what am I looking for when driving?
Any CRP hat looks heavy enough to provide good cover, especially the edges of cattails.

I've never had to scout pheasants. I've been hunting them for 10 years now, but in PA/NJ there all stockies so you go where they put them on the limited land there is available.

What is your time frame? As long as the crops are in you should be OK, but if there is a lot of snow the birds will bunch up and harder to approach.

If the crops are in then the weather is your greatest factor, a lot of snow and it is hard walking. Remember that all state land is non tox, so be prepared. If going with steel, go up to #2 size, if the birds are getting up too far out. Any thing inside 30 yards should be OK with #4.
Going away shots are tough, you may hit the bird but it will keep flying, look for crossing shots where the vitals are exposed. These are tough wild late season birds, probably educated to PHD level by the time you get to them.

Good luck and have fun,

Barna

There is an article in the latest edition of the Pheasant's Forever magazine entitled "Drive-By Diagnosis" that deals with evaluating pheasant cover before you hunt. It might give you some ideas. However, I do disagree with one statement that if you are smaller group (i.e. alone or with one other hunter plus a dog or two) to look for smaller fields and if you are a bigger group to look for bigger fields. My advice is do not avoid the larger fields even if you are alone. Work the edges of these fields with your dog. Especially those edges that border harvested crops. I often go alone with my 2 Brittanys and hunt fields that are a full section (640 acres) or larger in size and find birds. On the other hand don't ignore the real small public areas either. I sometimes think they get passed by because some larger groups view them as not big enough. Good luck!

I don't mean this to sound trite, but I think late season birds are literally "where you find them"! I know a good percentage use the WPA areas even or especially late in the year, even though they get hammered. It's when they use them that matters, unless there is a major storm that forces them into extremely heavy cover, lots of birds roost on WPA's and public areas then leave at daybreak to sit in cut crop fields all day, practically in the open. It's nearly impossible to hunt those birds. It's more like stalking geese than traditional upland hunting. The birds return in the last hour of daylight to the heavy stuff. Some birds will opt to avoid pressure and use isolated cover that is so thin and meager you wouldn't believe it could hide a sparrow, avoiding hunter contact all together. I've shot a lot of birds from isolated pockets of cover no bigger than your living room. Use strategy to plot the cover before making a frontal assault. Be quiet, no dog hollering, whistle blowing, door slamming, action closing noises, birds will start leaving the far end of a section, as soon as they hear your approach, and you'll swear there aren't any. . In S.D. late, cattails are the hard cover of choice. This is rigorous hunting and takes a special kind of dog and determination to flounder through half frozen mud and water to flush birds, but they are in there, and not just the edge. Universal pheasant habitat is edge, anywhere two or more types of cover come together, tree lines, bordered by CRP on one side and crops on the other. Wetlands bordered by grass with fingers of filter strips running up into crop fields. Any cover with overhead, and thin enough to run through. The birds you find dug into heavy stuff, are birds you pushed into the holding cover, and planning on you walking by. In these areas everything is potential pheasant cover, hunt it all, thoroughly and slowly. Finally, I would say you need to learn a property, the first attempt to hunt a particular spot, will result in ideas to better hunt that property a second time, be it placement of blockers, direction of approach, etc. Once you see how the birds respond to hunters, your success on that parcel will increase. Good Luck.

When we hunted that area a few years ago, we found the most bids in corn fields which had been harvested but not yet plowed. A good many of them are walk-in areas.

There is an article in the latest edition of the Pheasant's Forever magazine entitled "Drive-By Diagnosis" that deals with evaluating pheasant cover before you hunt. It might give you some ideas. However, I do disagree with one statement that if you are smaller group (i.e. alone or with one other hunter plus a dog or two) to look for smaller fields and if you are a bigger group to look for bigger fields. My advice is do not avoid the larger fields even if you are alone. Work the edges of these fields with your dog. Especially those edges that border harvested crops. I often go alone with my 2 Brittanys and hunt fields that are a full section (640 acres) or larger in size and find birds. On the other hand don't ignore the real small public areas either. I sometimes think they get passed by because some larger groups view them as not big enough. Good luck!

Totally agree with this. My dog and i have put up plenty of pheasants in huge fields by ourselves. Alot of times i will walk edges or take out corners at an angle. Most of the birds are on the edges anyway. Also i have never needed #2 shot to kill a pheasant. For me it is #5's improved over modified all year long. But everybody has their preference.

try hunting a parcel using this tactic. walk down a fence line (or a thin strip of cover) and hunt the good cover back to the road, as birds are commonly pushed from the road into deeper cover. always show them something different when you can....the obvious path or line from the road into the cover should often just be reversed.....can't tell you how many birds i have shot on the fence row,etc., while setting up my main trek through the cover hunting back to the road (which makes for a convenient blocker, especially if you hunt by yourself or if you have no blockers/shooters on the road)....good fence lines can provide a relaxing haunt for birds, as they are often overlooked..good luck.

Totally agree with this. My dog and i have put up plenty of pheasants in huge fields by ourselves. Alot of times i will walk edges or take out corners at an angle. Most of the birds are on the edges anyway. Also i have never needed #2 shot to kill a pheasant. For me it is #5's improved over modified all year long. But everybody has their preference.

great advice, i wrote an article for PF some years ago describing how to hunt corners...very effective tactic for 1 or 2 hunters.

Also i have never needed #2 shot to kill a pheasant. For me it is #5's improved over modified all year long. But everybody has their preference.

From the information presented, he will be hunting mostly state land, so the #2 recommendation is for steel shot, late season birds.
I talked with a local hunter in a small town a while back and he was using steel "T" shot for pheasants, "never had a problem bringing any down" he commented. Hunting with out a dog he made sure they were dead when hit.

Barna

try hunting a parcel using this tactic. walk down a fence line (or a thin strip of cover) and hunt the good cover back to the road, as birds are commonly pushed from the road into deeper cover. always show them something different when you can....the obvious path or line from the road into the cover should often just be reversed.....can't tell you how many birds i have shot on the fence row,etc., while setting up my main trek through the cover hunting back to the road (which makes for a convenient blocker, especially if you hunt by yourself or if you have no blockers/shooters on the road)....good fence lines can provide a relaxing haunt for birds, as they are often overlooked..good luck.

another great tip. Also try not to be predictable. Don't walk in a straight line, vary your speed, stop often. I have picked up many a bird when stopped. Pheasants will track your movement. Remember flying is the last thing they want to do. When you stop it unerves them a little. This is especially important the last 50 or so yards of a walk.

From the information presented, he will be hunting mostly state land, so the #2 recommendation is for steel shot, late season birds.
I talked with a local hunter in a small town a while back and he was using steel "T" shot for pheasants, "never had a problem bringing any down" he commented. Hunting with out a dog he made sure they were dead when hit.

Barna
Ive found that BB's steel buck the wind better "less drift" use 2's early then go to BB's late. And as I hunt different states I don't have to worry about different shot shells.

Carptom,
It still amazes me how many birds have gotten up on me when I stop and take a pee. I now warn my buddies when I must do so!
3 years ago I had one hold just beyond my "pointers" range until I zipped up and just as I finished he got up almost from between my legs. I like to think he was petrified when he saw my grand single shot! Sure suprised my hunting partners when they turned at the report of my 20 gauge after that break only to saw a bird tumbling about 15 yards from where I stood by.
Best to all,
Wolf

But what am I looking for when driving? I've never had to scout pheasants. I've been hunting them for 10 years now, but in PA/NJ there all stockies so you go where they put them on the limited land there is available.

Look for the ones with green heads and long orange and black tails.

Back