Weatherby Vanguard

Matt D

Does anyone here have experience with the Vanguard line? I have always thought of them as the red headed step child to the Mark V but some recent research has shown a lot of happy customers. Realize they are not a Mark V by any means. I can pick up a 257 Wby for $300 brand new so was thinking of grabbing one as a truck gun since will have minimal money invested in it. Thoughts??

Matt D

Buy It

The Vanguards have a reputation for accuracy. They are made by Howa in Japan and are of very good quality. That is a very good price if the gun is in good condition.

I would by it and reloading dies as that is one expensive cartridge to buy!

Lock and Load! :D

The Vanguards come in standard calibers also. If you can buy one for roughly the same money in a standard caliber tthat's what I would do. Especially if you don't reload. If you don't reload, the money you will save on ammo would allow you to pay more for the rifle.

I have a feeling this rifle is priced so low is that they are having a difficult time moving it. The .257 Weatherby is not a popular caliber and like others have said, the factory ammo is high priced. A box of 20 at Cabelas runs $38 - $75. Another question might be, "How easy will it be to find ammo in your area"?

The Vanguards come in standard calibers also. If you can buy one for roughly the same money in a standard caliber tthat's what I would do. Especially if you don't reload. If you don't reload, the money you will save on ammo would allow you to pay more for the rifle.

I have a feeling this rifle is priced so low is that they are having a difficult time moving it. The .257 Weatherby is not a popular caliber and like others have said, the factory ammo is high priced. A box of 20 at Cabelas runs $38 - $75. Another question might be, "How easy will it be to find ammo in your area"?

The 257 Wby Mag is a fantastic deer and goat cartridge. I have had two of them in the mark V. Buy it, you will not be disappointed. Flat shooting and hard hitting. The Vanguard has been around a long time. A best buy IMO.

I didn't imply anything in my post that would indicate that the .257 Weatherby wasn't a great caliber. I was merely bringing up some things to consider. If the .257 Weatherby fits your needs, go for it.

I didn't imply anything in my post that would indicate that the .257 Weatherby wasn't a great caliber. I was merely bringing up some things to consider. If the .257 Weatherby fits your needs, go for it.

No offense taken Zeb. You did point out some good points on ammo cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately I got real busy at work and didn't make it to the shop before they sold the 5 they had at that price. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

The 257 is a round I have always respected and knowing what my 25-06 will do always thought it would be a fun one to play around with. As you all mentioned, pretty much need to handload with the WBY calibers. Hard to believe what it is going for now.

Matt D

Tell me about it. I shoot a 30-378. They are over $125.00 a box. It's been a deer killing machine. That's all I do with it. It spend little time on the bench just shooting for fun. It's a brass wrecker too. You can only load it a couple times and the brass is shot.

The Vanguards have a reputation for accuracy. They are made by Howa in Japan and are of very good quality. That is a very good price if the gun is in good condition.

I would by it and reloading dies as that is one expensive cartridge to buy!

Lock and Load! :D

I have a Vanguard and a Tikka T3 both in .223 and both can do, off a bench, quarter to nickle size groups depending on how much coffee I have consumed. :10sign:
I like the Vanguard in big wind conditions because it is a heavy rifle, the Tikka I like to wander about with as it IS light.:D

Back