Weather Report: is it good or bad?

JHoch00

Ok, so I have always been a huge hunter, but have just gotten pretty serious about pheasants the past couple years, so I am still learning.

Is the current weather report (Highs 35-42, 30-50% chance of light snow, 5-10 mph wind) good or bad for pheasant hunting?

Any specific strategies for hunting this type of weather or is it the same?

(not the most worthwhile thread, but for some reason, I can't seem to focus on work right now...)

Bad weather is good. Fresh snow seems to keep the birds from taking off so soon, and you can look for tracks. Then you at least know whether or not there are birds in the area.

Couldn't agree more with chadsbritt... Birds are cold-blooded animals, so when it's cold they need to conserve their body heat. They're much less likely to go for a run when you're 50 yards out if they are chilly.

At 50 degrees, you'll see 'em flying 100 yards away. At 15 degrees, they'll hold almost until they're stepped on.

My dog works best when it's well below freezing - she doesn't get overheated and the birds hold for her much more tightly. She's a happy girl in January!

Back