WANTED:older Dog in need of loving hunting home!

Sodak_gunner

So my lovely other half has decided she would like her "own" dog to be with her at home all day and take for walks with our son. She doesn't really care about the breed or sex as long as they are pretty relaxed in the house and don't mind our young son being the new best friend. So I got to thinking and if she wants an older dog, say 5-8 years old, I may as well try and see whats out there for hunting dogs that could fit in well with us. She is a stay at home mom with our 7 month old son so the dog would very only be in a kennel about once or twice a week while she would go grocery shopping or out to dinner. If the dog can be trusted in the house then no need for the kennel and that would be perfect. She wants a new buddy to go for walks with her and lay around the house and enjoy the attention. For the hunting side of things, I don't hunt the water for ducks and would pretty much be a weekend pheasant hunter and a day or 2 during the week. I do have a DD pup coming in about 3 months so i think a dog that likes to point would be a better options but i wouldn't mind a flusher either. I have scoured the rescue sights and seems like almost every dog thats a hunting breed either hates kids or doesn't do well with gun fire so i figured I would see whats out there on the forums that i frequent and see if I can get another hunting buddy to join the family! Let me know what you guys know of or have for older dogs that don't mind gun fire and have a general idea of what a pheasant is. BTW We live in east central South Dakota so i promise that the dog will get to chase their share of roosters

All you have to do is check rescue. Any breed.

There was a guy on another forum that had a 6 year old female DD that he was looking to re-home. I've asked him if the dog is still available and more details on the dog if available. I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW, where are you in SD? I'm in Watertown.

SDDoglover may be right. My last 2 hunting dogs were rescues (Irish Setter and English Setter). Both were 6 when I got them and both hunted well (the English does very well in field trails). I just kept checking the single breed rescues and it has worked out well for me. PS, my wife will only let rescues in the house.:rolleyes:

Back