Vacation Quail

So took the family to Cancun, Mexico for a week. Went and played golf at a reasonable course down there. There were quail all over the golf course. Most of them had black on the underneath part of their necks so I'm assuming they are mearns quail, or Montezuma Quail, whichever. They would not fly though. Chased a few in the golf cart! Kind of got me pumped up for the fall.

If I were to guess I think what you saw were probably Yucatan (or black throat) Bobwhites. There is a lot of awesome hunting in Mexico, I'd love to go some day.:cheers:

That's what they looked like. I googled right away but they looked just like bobwhites that we have with a black throat. Would have been tough to hunt in 100 degree heat and the stuff they were running into was so thick I couldn't take one step into it. Whistling the whole time and were usually nearthe cart path or the sand traps. Pretty cool either way.

ha! that's too funny.
When I went to Hawaii, a few years ago-there were quail and pheasant everywhere. ..very distracting-but in a good way.:)

ha! that's too funny.
When I went to Hawaii, a few years ago-there were quail and pheasant everywhere. ..very distracting-but in a good way.:)

On the slopes of Haleakala volcano on Maui we saw pheasants and francolin at the crest.

On the slopes of Haleakala volcano on Maui we saw pheasants and francolin at the crest.

I was on the Big Island and couldn't believe the number and different kinds of pheasants and the number of francolins we saw. Literally hundreds all around the resort and golf courses.

We stayed at Barcelo in Riviera Maya the first week of October. On the drive down from Cancun I swore to my wife that I saw a pheasant fly across the road but I didn't really believe what I saw.....until I did a google search and figured out that it was a Chachalaca. Had no idea there were quail down there, but then again we didn't leave the resort except to go on a Catamaran one morning.

Back