USDA Crop harvest reports

90% as if today. The corn harvest is all but done. We need some sustainable colder weather now to freeze up the cats as that is where they go when not feeding this time of year.

Harvest report as of October 20 2019.

Corn harvested 11%, this time last year 33% and 5 year avg. 35%
Soybeans 42%, this time last year 59% and 5 year avg. 81%

We need some dry periods and maybe a bit of wind to hurry this along.

Willmar area looks to be about 60% harvested, beans and corn...and, they were really going after the beets today, wow! I guess with the all day rain forecast for tomorrow, they want as much out of the fields as possible.

Most recent USDA crop harvest/report shows 6% soybeans harvested, 79% corn harvested (sileage), and corn harvested (grain) at 6% as of Sept 17. A new report is due out later today. The chart shows that the harvest was on pace to be sooner than the last two years, but that might change now with all the rain received over the weekend. I see that its supposed to be 80 degrees later this week.

At this rate they won't be doing any field work for weeks. Another heavy storm has rolled through the region this morning. Plus the inches that fell last weekend. Guess its better than going into deeper drought.

We got just a couple inches in Blue Earth earlier this week, and it sucked right in. A small amount of harvest has continued down here since.

Last edited:
Areas with significant amounts of rainfall are currently experiencing ...

1) water running off to low spots and ditches. Drain tile in prime ag land assures quick dry time in many actual crop fields
2) water that is absorbed quickly since the subsoil moisture line had retreated much this summer

That said areas planted in lower spots, with poor drainage etc... will see a delay.

If the moisture content of the corn and beans is in target ... combines will roll if they can.

Last edited:
USDA crop progress reports will not be updated if the Federal Government shuts down next week. Just an FYI

At this rate they won't be doing any field work for weeks. Another heavy storm has rolled through the region this morning. Plus the inches that fell last weekend. Guess its better than going into deeper drought.
I think you jumped the gun a little here. I follow rates of flow in mn rivers and streams on the regular. They've gone up some with the rain, but start to drop pretty quick right now. With all the plants up and the dry soils due to drought, it seems the water is being sucked up as if by a sponge. Contrast this with the spring, when many fields are barren and buffers haven't matured yet. That combined with sometimes saturated soil due to snow melt creates massive runoff and often a river or stream going over its banks. This rain will slow the harvest a hair, but I still think most crops will be out early or on time. Just my opinion.

I went down to cariboos over the weekend to practice a little shooting before season. I saw combines out in the fields everywhere. All these people crabbing about too many crops in the fields come opener must just be looking for an excuse not to go.

I went down to cariboos over the weekend to practice a little shooting before season. I saw combines out in the fields everywhere. All these people crabbing about too many crops in the fields come opener must just be looking for an excuse not to go.
I'll take standing corn immediately adjacent to huntable grass as long as I can have it!!

Been going there as well. When it’s too hot, I’ve been hitting the sporting clays. On the cooler days been introducing the 7 month old pup to birds. Hope to hit the opener in a somewhat decent form.

I got another 2 inches of rain on Friday. That's almost 10 inches in one week. I was running a 7.5 inch rain deficit since May, and I went to a surplus in a week. Unreal.

Back