Upland Forecast

Odd thing is, those WIHA's fields next to CSA that I have hunted, not a single bird flushed. Dogs never got birdie either. Would of thought they would be overloaded.

Wonder if KS CSA birds also has to marked?

I believe the CSA hunts can be detrimental to the wild birds. In an area we have hunted for over 20 years, a CSA group got a CRP walk-in by paying more for the lease than the state. That CRP field was a nesting area for the local birds. Now CRP field get hunted with the put-in-birds and when a hen gets up they don't know it was native and it gets shot. The surrounding area has had a major decline in the wild pheasant population area over the last 8 or so years. It is my theory that the wild birds used the CRP to nest and general cover and the native hens get hammered there.
Just my opinion.
Cheers
Wolf

Not going to lie, here in the SC part of the state, it's bleak at best.
We've been out to some of our normal spots several times and we have yet to see a pheasant. We saw them in April and early May before the rains, but after the floods, we haven't seen birds in months.

The worst part of the equation is seeing spots you've always had permission to hunt which have been decimated by the floods or aged out of the CRP program. I haven't been this discouraged since the drought years of 2011 and 2012.

Ugh.

Years ago there used to be a small parcel of walk in next to a controlled shoot. Saw a few birds that didn't fly like wild birds, must of been a hunt going on the the controlled area anyway, we didn't allow those dumb birds to breed any hens the next spring. Actually, was good work for the dogs.

what are you guys doing on here??? talkng about CSA's and Hunting preserves??? This is the upland forecast thread for Kansas! This is where all the lurkers come to figure out where in KS to go hunting... You have done nothing to help these poor souls with all this drivel. Its still a month until the opener. So I guess there is plenty of time to fix this problem. So far only 8,000+ views on this thread. :)

Been quiet on here as far as reports. I figure this thread would be blowing up on what people have found or not found out scouting with their dogs. I will be traveling about 13 hours from KY to hunt my usual contacts. I love the trip and have always found some birds. I will enjoy the trip whether I find any birds or not. Kinda excited to breathe the prairie fresh air.

Been quiet on here as far as reports. I figure this thread would be blowing up on what people have found or not found out scouting with their dogs. I will be traveling about 13 hours from KY to hunt my usual contacts. I love the trip and have always found some birds. I will enjoy the trip whether I find any birds or not. Kinda excited to breathe the prairie fresh air.

over the years most folks have posted little about specific areas, as internet scouting is detrimental to all the hard work, time and money....spent scouting.
early season (especially) is busy enough anyway, without giving directions....good luck....the birds will be scattered, some good areas will be found, some areas will be bleak with very few birds at all....the decent areas with a few birds will get sniffed out soon enough, with more hunters than birds!

Back