top barrel: ic bottom barrel: im or m?

outlawskinnyd

for phesants, on my bottom barrel should i use modified or improved modified?

theres too many f'n choke tubes. modified, improved modified, light modified, full, kinda hungry, stuffed...i know i made some of those up. but after looking at brileys website im thinking for phesants ic up top, m or im on the bottom.

for sporting clays i figure i can get away with the same set up. (not skeet or trap, sporting clays)

for crows, i honestly dont know.

Last edited:
Most O/U's are designed to shoot the bottom first. Reason the guns pushes back into your shoulder more. Shooting top first moves the gun away from your face and/or up. Shooting the bottom first makes for a faster second shot if needed. The choke stuff is usually a matter of preference. Shooting over a pointer you want more open chokes birds will be closer to you. A flusher you may want tighter chokes as the birds are usually a longer shot. I'm shooting over a pointing dog, I use IC and light mod. and I'm good out to about 30 yards I figure. If what more range go tighter on your choke. But I would not go over Modified, these modern shells hold their pattern pretty well. Even at 45 yards out of a Mod choke. Check your gun on a pattern board and see what is happening with each choke.

When I'm shooting Trap, I will use the top first because I'm shooting single shots. I don't really shoot any better, the scores all come out the same.......Bob

im thinking of buying:

imp cyl
lt mod
mod
imp mod
full

that should cover phesants, quail, crows and wabbits

ill get skeet for skeet just so i have them

I'd pass on the Full choke tube and get your Skeet. You will rarely use a full unless you an avid waterfowl hunter. But with these modern shot like Bismuth, Steel and such. I think they don't recommend a full choke either.........Bob

I shoot LtMod and Imp Mod. If they jump really close, I just wait a bit. Rather hit them a little hard than scratch them down.

I use
LT MOD
Mod

Never had much luck with Imp Cyl myself. Too many wounded birds

Back