Ticks

Bassin

Still a fairly new dog owner. Just wondering how do you guys deal with ticks? My lab takes Bravecto pills every 3 months but that doesn’t stop her from having a ton of ticks. You guys use any sprays to prevent ticks?

Thanks

You should never see swollen ticks using Bravecto. Female ticks are the blood sucking members of the family. The males are there for breeding only and do not die as they are not actually attaching and feeding. Adams topical spray should help as a repellant. I would never want the ticks taking a walk from the dog to their owner. Lyme and Anaplasmosis are nasty human infections. We do what we can to prevent tick borne disease.

You should never see swollen ticks using Bravecto. Female ticks are the blood sucking members of the family. The males are there for breeding only and do not die as they are not actually attaching and feeding. Adams topical spray should help as a repellant. I would never want the ticks taking a walk from the dog to their owner. Lyme and Anaplasmosis are nasty human infections. We do what we can to prevent tick borne disease.the one attached so
You should never see swollen ticks using Bravecto. Female ticks are the blood sucking members of the family. The males are there for breeding only and do not die as they are not actually attaching and feeding. Adams topical spray should help as a repellant. I would never want the ticks taking a walk from the dog to their owner. Lyme and Anaplasmosis are nasty human infections. We do what we can to prevent tick borne disease.
The ticks that we find attached are usually dead but the ones crawling around are the ones we worry that it’ll be carry into our home.

The active crawling ticks are males and do not attach. Any time temps are 34 or warmer, ticks can be active. Ticks have to attach to transmit disease. The meds were developed to kill before disease transmission.

The ticks that we find attached are usually dead but the ones crawling around are the ones we worry that it’ll be carry into our home.
the deer ticks are bad right now around here and in the grouse woods. We use bravecto and sometimes some spray, but I worry that it would interfere with their scenting since its pretty strong.

Prescription drugs such as Bravecto do not prevent ticks from crawling or being on the animal. They only work when the tick actually bites the dog. For this specific reason, I still use the topical application (like front line or k9 advantix) instead, which actually keeps them off the dog. My dog spends a fair amount of time in the house and my wife hates bugs, so ticks on the dog are a no go.

Recent rain and warm weather probably created a recent hatch of ticks and other bugs. We'll need a couple of good hard freezes before that problem is removed.

The active crawling ticks are males and do not attach. Any time temps are 34 or warmer, ticks can be active. Ticks have to attach to transmit disease. The meds were developed to kill before disease transmission.
Not sure on your source there, but you maybe confused with mosquitos, according to the u of mn, both sexes bite and the nymphs as well...
The dogs will have to sleep in the kennels after a grouse hunt, i learned this the hard way camping this past spring when both dogs were on our bed, ticks crawling on my all night:oops:

Male ticks do not engorge and transmit tick born diseases. Frontline does not repel ticks and will not kill ticks until after attachment for 24 hours.
Better products out there now, but nothing is 100%

Back